• February 14, 2016
February 14, 2016, 8:44:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fired professor left with the exam papers  (Read 23418 times)
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a
Distinguished Senior Member

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

When I was in high school, a few buddies and I put unbroken, raw eggs in the shoes of another student (I went t high schools with dorms).  I still regret that I wasn't there when he put his shoes on the next morning.

For the record, some of us tip out our shoes every morning as a matter of habit.  I have never found eggs in them, but after the cricket incident, I'm not taking any chances.

When I owned a house, I kept my lawn-mowing shoes--which, suprisingly, became greener with time--on the front porch.  After one memorable incident, which involved me hopping around on one foot saying "ew ew ew" over and over again upon encountering a very large spider dwelling within the ever-greening shoe interior, I always shook those shoes out.

Yep, same problem here.  One morning, I put on my boots, left the house, and was opening the car door when I realized something was moving around next to my big toe.  We have both black widows and brown recluses here.  I have had bad reactions to spider bites from less venomous spiders,  I had no phone, and the nearest neighbors were a mile away.  Luckily, when I got my boot off, I found a disoriented cricket, but since then I have always tipped out my shoes.

My shoe anomaly was a dead mouse.   Poor mousie.

The Squishiest!
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 1:19:38 pm »

Oh thank GOD this is here. I've been waiting years to confess this and had no idea when I could get it off my chest. I thought I would have to carry it to the grave. When I was in my senior year of high school, as a prank on a VERY cruel softball coach, we did the following, in no particular order:

• spray painted his dog neon pink (the spray paint was washable)
  • marshmellowed his front lawn to make it look like it snowed (then sprayed it with a hose so that he couldn't get it off)
  • rubber-banded the back lawn
  • oreoed his car windows
  • mash potatoed (sp?) his pool (which involves pouring instant mashed potato flakes into a swimming pool. The entire pool has to be drained and then cleaned in order to get them out.

Oh, and we tee peed him every weekend for a month. But that was child's play.

We (my two friends and me) are awful, awful people, I know. However, in my defense, this IS the guy who made us practice sliding on a slip and slide in the middle of FEBRUARY...outside...where 3 members of our team then got sick.

He also made me catch after getting hit in the back of the head. When I told him I was seeing double, his response was to "catch the middle ball"

<Slowly slinks away...ashamed>

I'm with JP on the dog.  I guess, allowing for your youth, you can be forgiven for the TP.  I'm having a pretty hard time fully appreciating what it means to "marshmellow" a lawn (although I think I understand this one), "rubber-band" a lawn, or "oreo" car windows.  If the guy had a dog, the rubber-band thing sounds like it might have posed a choking hazard, though.  And the mashed-potato thing sounds okay only if you knew for sure that it wouldn't gunk up the pool mechanisms (for the circulation/filters/etc.).  If it led to mechanical failures requiring repair people and replacement parts, not so cool.

Then again, I'm not sure what a "slip and slide" is, either.  In any case, I still think JP's poo idea would have been the best way to go.  You're happy, the dog is happy--but the coach, not so happy.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
born2late
I often times wish I had bought Grandpa's farm and stayed on the land. Instead I'm an underemployed

Often referred to as an "interesting individual"

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 3:18:24 pm »

There are now rules on my undergrad campus that I and my roommate are directly responsible for.
   - No building of structure inside dorm rooms. We built an indoor rock climbing gym and strung an army camo net from the ceiling.
   -No firearms in the dorm. Kind of a gimme, but they never did find that assault rifle in the closet.
   - No climbing on the buildings. Did you know you can climb all the way to the roof from the outside of the dorm and the administration building?
   - No jumping out of windows or off of balconies. Long story, but it was fun and nobody got hurt too bad.

"nothing says headed towards the margins of society like learning the banjo"

Quando omni flunkus moritati
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 3:35:52 pm »

- No jumping out of windows or off of balconies. Long story, but it was fun and nobody got hurt too bad.

This seems to be the preferred method of student suicide on my campus, going back all the way to the days when I was an undergrad here 30 years ago.  No balconies, but the windows work just fine.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2008, 4:30:38 pm »

The sheriff's after me for what I did to his daughter.
I did it like this.
I did it like that.
I did it with the whiffle ball bat.

Did I do the right thing?
fishbrains
I've been called a [member], but never a

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2008, 4:42:43 pm »

Exactly.

Any good baseball/softball coach will tell you: well, then, make sure you pick one and stick with it; your odds are better that way.

My kids say the same thing about getting a juicy booger out, but I guess that's another thread.

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it, baby,
I don't wanna live forever,
And don't forget the joker!

~Motorhead, "The Ace of Spades"  (R.I.P. Lemmy)
inthelab
Where beloved molecules abide

Who knew?

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2008, 4:46:08 pm »

Exactly.

Any good baseball/softball coach will tell you: well, then, make sure you pick one and stick with it; your odds are better that way.

My kids say the same thing about getting a juicy booger out, but I guess that's another thread.

*Spew alert*

biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2008, 4:57:20 pm »

The sheriff's after me for what I did to his daughter.
I did it like this.
I did it like that.
I did it with the whiffle ball bat.

Did I do the right thing?

This & that are OK...  but personally I draw the line at the whiffle ball bat.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
anthroid
hyperdiffusionist wackaloonery!

No happy socks because nobody gets Manitoba.

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2008, 6:34:27 pm »

Exactly.

Wait.  There's something wrong with this?

I think maybe I ought to stop living alone.

Am I the only one who even remembers Up with People??
born2late
I often times wish I had bought Grandpa's farm and stayed on the land. Instead I'm an underemployed

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2008, 6:42:35 pm »

This seems to be the preferred method of student suicide on my campus, going back all the way to the days when I was an undergrad here 30 years ago.  No balconies, but the windows work just fine.
Okay, here's the whole story. Our entire campus got new matresses for all the dorms and the old ones were stored in the bottom floor of an unused building. We broke in (with the security guard's help) just to see what was going on. Then someone got the bright idea to line three stories of stairwell with mattresses (walls and floors). We then started doing long tumbles from top to bottom. About an hour into that insanity, someone noticed that there was a second-story balcony that we had easy access to. We made a HUGE pile of mattresses on the ground and started doing back flips of the side of the building. I should probably point out that it was the end of finals week and we all needed to do something stupid that wouldn't land us in either jail or the hospital.

zarathustra

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2008, 6:49:14 pm »

Okay, here's the whole story. Our entire campus got new matresses for all the dorms and the old ones were stored in the bottom floor of an unused building. We broke in (with the security guard's help) just to see what was going on. Then someone got the bright idea to line three stories of stairwell with mattresses (walls and floors). We then started doing long tumbles from top to bottom. About an hour into that insanity, someone noticed that there was a second-story balcony that we had easy access to. We made a HUGE pile of mattresses on the ground and started doing back flips of the side of the building. I should probably point out that it was the end of finals week and we all needed to do something stupid that wouldn't land us in either jail or the hospital.

Hilarious.  I'm just thinking of all the time and effort it took to move all those mattresses.  Did you guys have to put all the mattresses back at the end, too?

This might out me, but at my undergrad, a certain studio of large instruments and their buddies, decided to make a lounge out of the fugly large instrument storage room in the basement of our building.  We cleaned out the space, brought in some homey-features and decided we needed a couch.  Naturally, after hours, we took a brand new couch from the proper student lounge right outside the Dean's office.  I don't think we even gave it a second thought.

The next day, there were flyers all over the building with "Have you seen this couch?" and demanding its immediate return.  The building and grounds folks were dispatched to peer into every room, floor by floor.  Luckily, they started at the top floor.  We had to hide ourselves in the building after closing that night and return the couch at around 2 a.m. to avoid detection. I have no idea if the administration ever discovered who temporarily filched their couch.

The Squishiest!
born2late

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2008, 6:51:40 pm »

Hilarious.  I'm just thinking of all the time and effort it took to move all those mattresses.  Did you guys have to put all the mattresses back at the end, too?

This might out me, but at my undergrad, a certain studio of large instruments and their buddies, decided to make a lounge out of the fugly large instrument storage room in the basement of our building.  We cleaned out the space, brought in some homey-features and decided we needed a couch.  Naturally, after hours, we took a brand new couch from the proper student lounge right outside the Dean's office.  I don't think we even gave it a second thought.

The next day, there were flyers all over the building with "Have you seen this couch?" and demanding its immediate return.  The building and grounds folks were dispatched to peer into every room, floor by floor.  Luckily, they started at the top floor.  We had to hide ourselves in the building after closing that night and return the couch at around 2 a.m. to avoid detection. I have no idea if the administration ever discovered who temporarily filched their couch.
Yes, we put all the mattresses back. That was the deal with the security guard. We were good kids, just bored.

zarathustra

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2008, 7:09:39 pm »

Yes, we put all the mattresses back. That was the deal with the security guard. We were good kids, just bored.

Makes the story all that much better...

The Squishiest!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: