• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:51:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 158
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycling to Work  (Read 469044 times)
cc_alan
is a wossname
Distinguished Senior Member

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #2040 on: April 22, 2012, 1:57:51 PM »

Make sure all your spokes are intact from time to time.  I tend to break them and not notice.

I have a couple of friends who break lots of spokes. I have never broken one. I am heavy and have worn out a bottom bracket and possibly a drive train, but never a spoke. Maybe I just have tough wheels?

That could be the case.

I broke so many spokes it was crazy but I put 20+ pounds on my bags that sit right over the rear wheel. I ride as fast as I can and while I don't jump curbs, I do have to hit all of the cut-outs as the trail cuts across different streets and I sometimes hit them pretty hard. I finally gave up late last year and had a local shop custom-make a wheel for me. I told the mechanic my riding habits and he suggested a rim. They then custom-made each spoke and put together a new wheel. Not a single problem since then!

Before the new wheel, I unfortunately learned to recognize the sound of a spoke breaking. I'd look down and see my rear rim wobbling.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
empyrean_aisles
Sesquipedalian

« Reply #2041 on: April 25, 2012, 5:35:45 PM »

Dear fora cycling friends, I have fallen in love. This is what I will be buying for my bike next time I am in Canada:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/PanniersBagsRacks/Panniers/PRD~5028-170/basil-jada-shopper-xl-tote-pannier.jsp

Ahhh.

I just need to have my cake in a safe white place today.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #2042 on: April 25, 2012, 5:50:23 PM »

Dear fora cycling friends, I have fallen in love. This is what I will be buying for my bike next time I am in Canada:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/PanniersBagsRacks/Panniers/PRD~5028-170/basil-jada-shopper-xl-tote-pannier.jsp

Ahhh.

Pretty!

Is it waterproof? My panniers are water proof and that has mattered quite few times.

Love your neighbor.
empyrean_aisles
Sesquipedalian

« Reply #2043 on: April 25, 2012, 5:56:04 PM »

Ahhh.

Pretty!

Is it waterproof? My panniers are water proof and that has mattered quite few times.

Good point. I shall check when I go to MEC to look at them.

I just need to have my cake in a safe white place today.
johnr

« Reply #2044 on: April 26, 2012, 1:49:07 AM »

Ahhh.

Pretty!

Good point. I shall check when I go to MEC to look at them.

I saw that pannier at the Vancouver MEC on Broadway just last week!!!  It's not waterproof : (

It is pretty. 
cc_alan
is a wossname

« Reply #2045 on: April 26, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »

As I've mentioned more than once (sorry!), last year I had a new wheel custom-made since I apparently put too much force on the back wheel when I go over bumps (I load up the panniers). No more bent rims with this wheel!

Recently I had the chain and rear gears replaced because they were worn and the gears I typically use were slipping.

And now I noticed that when I'm in the second chainring and starting from a hard start (say, trying to cross a busy street from a stopped position), the chain slips which means I need a new second chainring. Until I take it in I can shift it to the third chainring in those situations so it doesn't slip. I'm in better shape than normal at this time of the year thanks to the warm winter which allowed me to continue cycling all year so I can easily put it into the third chainring (not a chance in previous years because the winds we get normally sap my meager strength).

I'm not complaining. I purchased this hybrid bike new (a discounted previous-year model, <$300US) and it's given me more than 5k miles into my fifth year riding it and each year I've been cycling more (I doubled the previous year's miles last year and I have 600 more miles at this point in the year than ever before!). I still like the bike and I have no intention of getting a new bike soon. But all of these modifications and replacements lead me to believe that I didn't buy a bike that was properly suited to my riding habits. But back then I didn't have *any* riding habits so how was I to know that I'd love it so much?

</rambling>

Alan

octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2046 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »

As I've mentioned more than once (sorry!), last year I had a new wheel custom-made since I apparently put too much force on the back wheel when I go over bumps (I load up the panniers). No more bent rims with this wheel!

Recently I had the chain and rear gears replaced because they were worn and the gears I typically use were slipping.

And now I noticed that when I'm in the second chainring and starting from a hard start (say, trying to cross a busy street from a stopped position), the chain slips which means I need a new second chainring. Until I take it in I can shift it to the third chainring in those situations so it doesn't slip. I'm in better shape than normal at this time of the year thanks to the warm winter which allowed me to continue cycling all year so I can easily put it into the third chainring (not a chance in previous years because the winds we get normally sap my meager strength).

I'm not complaining. I purchased this hybrid bike new (a discounted previous-year model, <$300US) and it's given me more than 5k miles into my fifth year riding it and each year I've been cycling more (I doubled the previous year's miles last year and I have 600 more miles at this point in the year than ever before!). I still like the bike and I have no intention of getting a new bike soon. But all of these modifications and replacements lead me to believe that I didn't buy a bike that was properly suited to my riding habits. But back then I didn't have *any* riding habits so how was I to know that I'd love it so much?

</rambling>

Alan

The bike, with the custom wheel, seems perfect for you. Gears and chains wear! That's normal. Just keep maintaining the bike.

I had my ($329 in 1999 Trek 800 Sport) hybrid bike's bottom bracket repacked last year. I think now it is about time for a new drive train. This bike has been very good to me and I'm going to keep it working.

Love your neighbor.
cc_alan
is a wossname

« Reply #2047 on: May 03, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »

I need some help with shirts.

I don't wear my work clothes while I commute because I sweat like crazy. I need some advice on workout shirts that won't smell nasty after a ride. There are some days that I have three rides and by the time I get home my shirt reeks. I can tell because it really smells the next day (I do let the shirt dry before I put in a hamper or somewhere else).

I've been wearing Champion's brand and the long sleeve shirts don't smell after I wear them. The long sleeve ones are a polyester/spandex blend while the short sleeve/tanks are all polyester. I don't have anywhere to hang my shirts in my office but my standard operating procedure is to get to work with enough time to cool down and for my shirt to dry before I change my clothes.

Any suggestions on either different brands or different blends? I've avoided cycling gear because I'm cheap. But, I will be buying some cycling shorts this year (my yearly $$ cycling purchase!).

Alan

octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2048 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »

I need some help with shirts.

I don't wear my work clothes while I commute because I sweat like crazy. I need some advice on workout shirts that won't smell nasty after a ride. There are some days that I have three rides and by the time I get home my shirt reeks. I can tell because it really smells the next day (I do let the shirt dry before I put in a hamper or somewhere else).

I've been wearing Champion's brand and the long sleeve shirts don't smell after I wear them. The long sleeve ones are a polyester/spandex blend while the short sleeve/tanks are all polyester. I don't have anywhere to hang my shirts in my office but my standard operating procedure is to get to work with enough time to cool down and for my shirt to dry before I change my clothes.

Any suggestions on either different brands or different blends? I've avoided cycling gear because I'm cheap. But, I will be buying some cycling shorts this year (my yearly $$ cycling purchase!).

Alan

Cycling jerseys. They are the right tool designed for your task!

All the brands are good and made to breath and wick sweat and dry super fast... and they are usually high vis colors (safety!) and they have those handy rear pockets. Any brand will do, generally. Look for sales on the obvious websites... World Cycling or Performance Bike, for example, or your local bike shop. 

I have also seen an ad for one that claims it never smells. I don't remember the brand, though. When it pops up again (probably saw it on facebook), I'll investigate.

And, you need to install a hook on the back of your office door and hang up your cycling jersey with a hanger (that's what I do) or invest in a coat tree to put in the corner.

If you PM me your approximate size, I might could mail you a couple, if I have some in your size. :o) I have a huge collection in not so skinny sizes and Mr. W. has skinny sizes...

As to laundry practices, we have a special place for sweaty bike clothes that is not near other regular dirty clothes... and we wash bike clothes more often (i.e. don't let the pile be a pile very long!).

Love your neighbor.
cc_alan
is a wossname

« Reply #2049 on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »

WRT the previous post of mine, I've decided to go shopping after the term is over and look for both cycling shorts and jerseys. You've convinced me!

On another topic, is anyone doing the Endomondo national cycling challenge? It runs from May through August and the idea is to get at least 50000 people signed up and 10 million miles cycled over those four months. You don't have to have a GPS device to record your mileage and you can enter them manually (that's what I do). They have prizes based on points in order to encourage people to get out and ride.

About the point system, it looks confusing but it isn't. Each day you ride you get 20 points plus one point per mile you ride. They decided on that system in order to encourage people to just get out and ride!!! If you sign up (it's free) before the end of the month you can manually enter your mileage from May 1.

I credit the challenge with getting me to ride at least two extra days this month so it's worth it.

Alan

octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2050 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »

WRT the previous post of mine, I've decided to go shopping after the term is over and look for both cycling shorts and jerseys. You've convinced me!

On another topic, is anyone doing the Endomondo national cycling challenge? It runs from May through August and the idea is to get at least 50000 people signed up and 10 million miles cycled over those four months. You don't have to have a GPS device to record your mileage and you can enter them manually (that's what I do). They have prizes based on points in order to encourage people to get out and ride.

About the point system, it looks confusing but it isn't. Each day you ride you get 20 points plus one point per mile you ride. They decided on that system in order to encourage people to just get out and ride!!! If you sign up (it's free) before the end of the month you can manually enter your mileage from May 1.

I credit the challenge with getting me to ride at least two extra days this month so it's worth it.

Alan

I am doing it with some friends from my former home state. I use a Garmin GPS but enter my data on Endomondo by hand.

Love your neighbor.
lohai0

« Reply #2051 on: May 17, 2012, 1:05:40 AM »

I just got a new road bike. After about five miles I remembered why I stopped biking. I have a huge butt, and that seems to be completely incompatible with the tortuous wedgie maker that is the bike seat I have. Does anyone know of a seat cover (or even a new seat) that could help?

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
scampster

« Reply #2052 on: May 17, 2012, 4:48:36 AM »

I just got a new road bike. After about five miles I remembered why I stopped biking. I have a huge butt, and that seems to be completely incompatible with the tortuous wedgie maker that is the bike seat I have. Does anyone know of a seat cover (or even a new seat) that could help?

If you go to a big bike shop that carries Terry brand seats, I believe they have a 30 day "try it out" policy, so you can look at the variety of seats, try one out, and return it without issue if you don't like it. Terry is a woman-specific brand, so the cuts are more likely to work for you. That being said, you might be surprised at what is comfortable. I have plenty of junk in the trunk and while I don't have a racing saddle, I have a pretty normal one. It can take a while to get used to all the saddle time, so you might not find any saddle to be comfortable at first. What kind of saddle did your old bike have? Can you just switch it?

Alan, for bike clothes, I don't like designated cycling jerseys. The only use I find in them are the big pockets in back, but you don't need them as much for commuting (and I prefer to just stuff things in a bento box anyway). If you are riding on the drops, they are also useful since they tend to be longer in back. But they are also way overpriced, so you really need to shop discount like octo said (or get them free from her!). I have about 20 bajillion wicking shirts that serve my needs for cycling. Instead of shelling out any money for a cycling specific jersey, I would shop around for smart wool or other athletic wool products. Wool in general doesn't stink like synthetics do. SteepAndCheap and their allied cycling sites are great places to find clothing if you aren't so picky about colors (they are the "sell one thing at a time for a deep discount" type places).

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2053 on: May 17, 2012, 9:02:27 AM »

If you go to a big bike shop that carries Terry brand seats, I believe they have a 30 day "try it out" policy, so you can look at the variety of seats, try one out, and return it without issue if you don't like it. Terry is a woman-specific brand, so the cuts are more likely to work for you. That being said, you might be surprised at what is comfortable. I have plenty of junk in the trunk and while I don't have a racing saddle, I have a pretty normal one. It can take a while to get used to all the saddle time, so you might not find any saddle to be comfortable at first. What kind of saddle did your old bike have? Can you just switch it?

Alan, for bike clothes, I don't like designated cycling jerseys. The only use I find in them are the big pockets in back, but you don't need them as much for commuting (and I prefer to just stuff things in a bento box anyway). If you are riding on the drops, they are also useful since they tend to be longer in back. But they are also way overpriced, so you really need to shop discount like octo said (or get them free from her!). I have about 20 bajillion wicking shirts that serve my needs for cycling. Instead of shelling out any money for a cycling specific jersey, I would shop around for smart wool or other athletic wool products. Wool in general doesn't stink like synthetics do. SteepAndCheap and their allied cycling sites are great places to find clothing if you aren't so picky about colors (they are the "sell one thing at a time for a deep discount" type places).

Wool? Are you kidding me? <says she who is allergic and lives in the deep South>

If Alan will PM me his size, he'll have a free one or two in two weeks or so (I'm away from home traveling right now).

And, many bike shops have "try it out" programs for saddles because saddle fit is very individual. If you like your old saddle, take it and and have it measured so they can identify the closest thing they have available.

Love your neighbor.
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #2054 on: May 18, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »

I did it. :)

(Emoticon deserved and earned, so ppbbbblllltttt!)

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 158
  Print  

Jump to: