Great moments in teaching

<< < (2/10) > >>

ptarmigan:
During my first semester of teaching, I had an enormous (heavy) projector screen assembly fall on me. Fortunately it fell from one end first, rather than from both ends at the same time, so the bruising was kind of slower than it could have been. It was a weird feeling trying to act normal and hand out quizzes while inside I was just "ow ow ow OW!"

proftowanda:
Quote from: barcrossliar on February 26, 2013, 10:06:19 PM

I did the two-different-shoes act once.

Ditto.  Identical shoes, as I had bought another pair, because they were so comfortable.

But one shoe was black, and one shoe was brown.

When we remodeled, I made sure that my closet it would have much better lighting.

mystictechgal:
Quote from: proftowanda on February 26, 2013, 11:10:35 PM

Quote from: barcrossliar on February 26, 2013, 10:06:19 PM

I did the two-different-shoes act once.

Ditto.  Identical shoes, as I had bought another pair, because they were so comfortable.

But one shoe was black, and one shoe was brown.

When we remodeled, I made sure that my closet it would have much better lighting.

Heh. On one hand, feel good that others have gone before you all. On the other, realize that memories do stick with people.

Back when I was in 6th grade (hmmm... Dinosaurs roamed; It would have been 1966.) our teacher once wore one black loafer and one brown loafer. For whatever reason he seemed to think it might be less noticeable if he taught with one foot propped up on the desk and the other resting in the trash can. Maybe it was a mark of our level of privilege and the unusual aspect of having a male teacher (both, and there were only two, in 6th grade, were male--one the headmaster, the other the assistant headmaster--this was the assistant headmaster; all previous teachers had been female), but all of us (the girls; I don't know that the boys even noticed) giggled (outside of his notice) and gave him a pass. We felt badly for him as he'd obviously dressed in the dark and didn't have anyone at home to check him before he left.

It probably didn't hurt that we thought he was hot, (and knew he was single). Hell, almost 50 years later, and with a lot of more mature distance and perspective involved, I still think he was hot. Wonder what happened to him. (I learned last week what happened to the Headmaster. I do not remember thinking of him as hot.)

mr_spicoli:
As I was walking up the stairs to a job interview, I realized, in my distracted state of showering and dressing, I had forgotten to put my belt on. It was too late to go back home.

Yep, I was interviewed by the Dean, Chair, VP, and misc. Senior faculty members, then gave a presentation, all the while wondering if they noticed I wasn't wearing a belt.

They either did not notice or did not care, because I got the job!

ncaro:
My skirt fell below my knees once while I was handing back graded work. A colleague later told me I should have offered extra credit: "Letter grade on your next quiz to the first one to pull that up for me." (My hands were full. It really would have been funny.)  The same colleague later suggested I should have broken out in a Joe Cocker imitation with "You can leave your hat on."

I wish I thought that fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page