• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 595
  Print  
Author Topic: "Favorite" conversations with students  (Read 1538914 times)
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #6225 on: April 23, 2012, 8:36:48 PM »

There's hope, even if they refuse to believe that the Moon has gravity (the topic of some of my recent "favorite" conversations).

Are they saying the astronauts wore heavy boots?

No, you see the blue cheese gets sticky in a the vacuum of space, so the boots stick to it and keep the astronauts from floating away.
Blue cheese? I should be living on the moon, then.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #6226 on: April 23, 2012, 9:49:24 PM »

There's hope, even if they refuse to believe that the Moon has gravity (the topic of some of my recent "favorite" conversations).

No, you see the blue cheese gets sticky in a the vacuum of space, so the boots stick to it and keep the astronauts from floating away.

Definitely not blue.  Wensleydale, perhaps?

polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #6227 on: April 24, 2012, 8:07:54 AM »

*ahem*

We are reaching the end of term here and that means extra homework in my engineering class.  This is the third try for one of my students, call him three.  Yesterday's start of class conversations follows.

Polly:  The homework for Ch X is due Monday.

Three: But don't we have homework due Friday?

Polly:  Yes, we have homework due Wednesday, Friday, and now Monday.  It's the end of term and these are short assignments, so things come quickly.

Three: But this weekend is <major charity event that involves a 24-hour endurance test>.

Polly: You've known about the other assignments for a week and you have a week for Ch. X.  Let me emphasize that these are much shorter assignments than the ones you submitted last Friday where every problem was an hour or two.

Three: But it's <charity event>

Polly:  You've known about that for weeks so you should have planned.  Remember I drop at least one homework assignment and this could be your drop.

Three: But couldn't we submit it next Wednesday?

C-student-from-the-next-row:  Just do the assignment, Three.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
dr_alcott

« Reply #6228 on: April 24, 2012, 1:20:50 PM »

*ahem*

We are reaching the end of term here and that means extra homework in my engineering class.  This is the third try for one of my students, call him three.  Yesterday's start of class conversations follows.

Polly:  The homework for Ch X is due Monday.

Three: But don't we have homework due Friday?

Polly:  Yes, we have homework due Wednesday, Friday, and now Monday.  It's the end of term and these are short assignments, so things come quickly.

Three: But this weekend is <major charity event that involves a 24-hour endurance test>.

Polly: You've known about the other assignments for a week and you have a week for Ch. X.  Let me emphasize that these are much shorter assignments than the ones you submitted last Friday where every problem was an hour or two.

Three: But it's <charity event>

Polly:  You've known about that for weeks so you should have planned.  Remember I drop at least one homework assignment and this could be your drop.

Three: But couldn't we submit it next Wednesday?

C-student-from-the-next-row:  Just do the assignment, Three.

Attaboy/girl, C Student.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
thenewyorker

« Reply #6229 on: April 24, 2012, 1:50:08 PM »

Definitely not blue.  Wensleydale, perhaps?

:)

When You Snark You Can Really Love
sinenomine

Located directly over the center of the earth

« Reply #6230 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »

Just taught the last class of the semester for one of my courses, in which a particular student has missed well over the number of classes allowed, did not turn in two of the five papers, and did not give the required speech.

Student:  What's my grade?
Me:  You cannot pass this class at this point -- you've missed well over the number of classes allowed, did not turn in two of the five papers, and did not give the required speech.
Student:  And?
Me:   You cannot pass this class.
Student:  Yeah, that's REAL nice! [stomping out]

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #6231 on: April 25, 2012, 6:41:51 PM »

Just taught the last class of the semester for one of my courses, in which a particular student has missed well over the number of classes allowed, did not turn in two of the five papers, and did not give the required speech.

Student:  What's my grade?
Me:  You cannot pass this class at this point -- you've missed well over the number of classes allowed, did not turn in two of the five papers, and did not give the required speech.
Student:  And?
Me:   You cannot pass this class.
Student:  Yeah, that's REAL nice! [stomping out]

Magical thinking strikes again.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
wet_blanket
Some kind of

« Reply #6232 on: April 25, 2012, 8:32:08 PM »

I imagine these conversations with the student literally stomping out of the room with loud, exaggerated footsteps.  It makes me chuckle.  The only thing that would be better would be the student stomping his or her foot while they were talking.

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #6233 on: April 25, 2012, 8:36:36 PM »

I imagine these conversations with the student literally stomping out of the room with loud, exaggerated footsteps.  It makes me chuckle.  The only thing that would be better would be the student stomping his or her foot while they were talking.

I also "hear" the voice of Napoleon Dynamite.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
lohai0

« Reply #6234 on: April 25, 2012, 9:15:02 PM »

There was a commercial for something when I was a kid where someone got hit on the head and then thought they were Batman. I thought of that today when talking with this kid, who seems to believe he is Matt Damon. ("I don't need to pass your class because I am going to leave school with one class left...math...and go be a movie star). I-am-Matt-Damon (IMD) is taking the class for the third time. He comes less than once week. Miraculously, he can pass (with a D, which is passing here) if he gets a C+ on the final.

Today in class they are working on a review packet, where the final is based on the packet. IMD shows up for the first time in a month.

IMD: What are we doing today?

Me: Points to the task list on the board.

IMD: I don't have an Activity 14

Me: Here you are. Do what you can and then when you are ready come get a quiz.

<IMD sits down and looks at the problems for maybe 5 minutes>

IMD: I can't do any of these. I don't have my notebook. Can I turn it in Friday for half credit?

Me: It's due at the end of the hour. There is no late work in this class.

IMD: Well these aren't possible for me to do without my notbook, so I'm going to take a zero. Gimmee a quiz.

Me: The final is in 6 days. How are you going to pass the final, based on these questions, without your notebook.

IMD: <Rolls eyes>  I'll know everything by then.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #6235 on: April 27, 2012, 6:23:51 PM »

My favorite, from earlier this year, was from an advisee who came to me for advice on how to file a grade protest (in someone else's class).  She'd gotten a D on a major assignment.  I asked her to lay out her grounds for the protest.  She looked blank.  I said "You know, evidence that the grade assigned does not accurately reflect the quality of your work."  She hemmed and hawed, then said, passionately, "But Prof. Tractor, it's not about the evidence.  It's about this D.  I am not a D student.  A D student is just not who I am."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 6:25:13 PM by yellowtractor » Logged

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
gauche
Ever so slowly moving up from being a

« Reply #6236 on: April 27, 2012, 7:55:09 PM »

My favorite, from earlier this year, was from an advisee who came to me for advice on how to file a grade protest (in someone else's class).  She'd gotten a D on a major assignment.  I asked her to lay out her grounds for the protest.  She looked blank.  I said "You know, evidence that the grade assigned does not accurately reflect the quality of your work."  She hemmed and hawed, then said, passionately, "But Prof. Tractor, it's not about the evidence.  It's about this D.  I am not a D student.  A D student is just not who I am."
Doesn't she understand that one's actions help determine one's identity?

“On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points.”
—Virginia Woolf

"What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing he knew nobody had said it before."
—Mark Twain
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #6237 on: April 27, 2012, 9:28:52 PM »

No.  It's about essence.  And destiny.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #6238 on: April 28, 2012, 5:31:55 PM »

More like density, in this case.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6239 on: April 28, 2012, 5:33:49 PM »

More like density, in this case.

You are my density.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 595
  Print  

Jump to: