"Favorite" conversations with students

<< < (1481/1771) > >>

wet_blanket:
So, not a favorite in the usual sense of this thread, but hilarious and I couldn't laugh at the time.

Stu Dent is in my office hours, working through a homework problem  Stu has to write a fraction with a rather long equation in the denominator.

Stu: Dammit, I hate it when I don't center the top of the fraction!
Me: Uh...?
Stu: It really bothers me when the top isn't lined up with the bottom.  [Very earnestly] It bothers you too, right?

This was even funnier because Stu was working in pencil and had erased almost everything written at least once, but remained bothered by the numerator being uncentered.

madhatter:
Wow. How does Stu feel about fractions written diagonally?

chaosbydesign:
Quote from: wet_blanket on October 25, 2013,  4:50:33 pm

So, not a favorite in the usual sense of this thread, but hilarious and I couldn't laugh at the time.

Stu Dent is in my office hours, working through a homework problem  Stu has to write a fraction with a rather long equation in the denominator.

Stu: Dammit, I hate it when I don't center the top of the fraction!
Me: Uh...?
Stu: It really bothers me when the top isn't lined up with the bottom.  [Very earnestly] It bothers you too, right?

This was even funnier because Stu was working in pencil and had erased almost everything written at least once, but remained bothered by the numerator being uncentered.

I'm on Stu's side here. I also hate that.

geonerd:
Quote from: madhatter on October 25, 2013,  4:58:46 pm

Isn't the worst when the slash is not drawn at a perfect 45 degree angle? It bothers all of you too, right?

cgfunmathguy:
Quote from: geonerd on October 25, 2013,  6:01:46 pm

Quote from: madhatter on October 25, 2013,  4:58:46 pm

Isn't the worst when the slash is not drawn at a perfect 45 degree angle? It bothers all of you too, right?

No, because I prefer my fraction bar at a 60-degree angle. It's the 45-degree angle that bothers me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page