• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything to do in or around Lawrence, Kansas?  (Read 5019 times)
klaradeb

« on: March 04, 2012, 7:28:14 AM »

I will be attending a workshop at KU and was wondering if there was anything noteworthy in the area, given that I have to travel from the other side of the pond to get there. Google hasn't been very helpful so far.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 8:31:55 AM »

Lawrence is a cute little town.  Most dining and entertainment options will either be on or just off of Massachusetts St, which it itself a pleasant stroll as long as it's not (basketball) game day.  If I were in Lawrence for a weekend, these are the places I'd prioritize:
--Replay Lounge, for some live music and cheap beer in a gritty, casual setting
--Love Garden, for buying some music to take home with me
--Teller's, for brunch in an old bank vault
--Local Burger, for, well, a local burger (but a very good one!)
--Jefferson's, for fried macaroni and cheese
--Free State Brewing Company, for some basic American brewpub fare and a touch of local history
--To go a little deeper into local history, you might also be interested in the self-guided tour of Quantrill's Raid.  I've never done it, but would if I were there now.

Edited because Massachusetts Ave is not the same thing as Massachusetts St, and I am talking about Lawrence rather than Boston.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 8:33:34 AM by anisogamy » Logged

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
spectacle

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 1:44:25 PM »

I love Lawrence.

Be sure to check out the Spencer Museum of Art, which is on KU's campus and has a pretty impressive collection.

There are (at least) two fantastic bookstores - one is a used store on Massachusetts and I can't remember the name of it...  the other is called The Raven and is off of Mass and has handwritten notes and reviews from the owner on almost every shelf.  The kind of place that makes you want to ditch everything and open your own bookstore.  It's lovely.

For breakfast in Lawrence I like Wheatfields (also just off of Massachusetts).  For other meals, the last time I was there I went to a place called 715 that had some of the best locally-sourced food I've had in a restaurant.  That place was astonishing.

I think this thread is going well. Don't you think this thread is going well?
klaradeb

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 6:02:27 PM »

Sounds great, thanks for the tips!
ls410

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »

Dusty Bookshelf is the used store on Mass.  Sunflower Bike and Outdoor Shop is also great.  It is also home to a super cute store cat if you enjoy those kinds of things.  Yummy ethnic food too: India Palace and LaParilla are quite good.  Silas and Maddys has amazing (and fattening) ice cream.  Z's has tasty locally roasted coffee.  All of those are on Mass St (or just off of it).  It's walkable if they have you staying on campus at the Oread.
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 6:49:46 PM »

If you can get into KC, the Negro League Hall of Fame/Jazz Museum (same building) is fantastic, as is the WWI Museum.

I came. I saw. I cited.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: