• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:35:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Cut-rate colleges"  (Read 5387 times)
helpful
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: February 03, 2009, 9:34:15 PM »

Methinks they are making a big thing out of nothing here:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/02/03/cut_rate_campus/?s_campaign=yahoo

I mean, 10K is way more than some state schools charge, and what is this about having to suffer being a commuter student. Hello....I know lots of students who commute to university from home.

Quite a strange article, all in all. Comments?

PS Anyone know how to embed a link in text?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 9:37:43 PM by helpful » Logged
catgurl

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »

Methinks they are making a big thing out of nothing here:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/02/03/cut_rate_campus/?s_campaign=yahoo

I mean, 10K is way more than some state schools charge, and what is this about having to suffer being a commuter student. Hello....I know lots of students who commute to university from home.

Quite a strange article, all in all. Comments?

PS Anyone know how to embed a link in text?

Wow. The OP was really on track here - SNHU is being successful with this initiative.
csguy
Distinguished Senior Member

Computer Science faculty

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 7:18:46 AM »

I thought the push was $10,000 for a degree.
I am curious what "built-in office hours with professors" means.
I also note that the amenities don't include a library.
abdel_academe

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 8:40:34 AM »

New Hampshire's legislature cut funding for state colleges and universities by a whooping 47% back in 2011, causing an immediate crisis for state schools. The system's flagship campus (UNH Durham) struggles to accept in-state students, and even then their tuition is $16.5K.

Since 2011, the "Tea Party" legislature that made the cuts has been booted from office... but I'm not sure their funding structures have similarly recovered.

With new high school grads increasingly unable to find/afford a seat in NH state colleges, my guess is that private schools like SNHU are responding to this state of affairs (whether it be a "state sponsored funding crisis" or an "emerging market need" depends on how one feels about it.)

As someone who attended a "commuter" school in the South, I remain astounded by just how expensive even the "cut-rate" schools in New England are. There's no way i would have even been able to meet a burden of $10K annually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: