• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:21:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thankfulness  (Read 28972 times)
juvenal
Cynical Septuagenarian

Juvenal

« on: March 10, 2012, 4:59:36 PM »

Although the exact moment of my retirement is not written in stone, its lapidary incisement is not entirely far distant.

Reviewing my undistinguished career (in those dark nights of the soul that insomnia gives with a lavish hand lately), I am obliged to admit that it was probably about as suitable to my personality as possible.

I was (am) unambitious, and most of my career was just classroom teaching.  Outside of this I followed my interests, but did nothing with them, save through reading augmented my appreciation and knowledge of my discipline (STEM field).  Very little published, and that only in casual venues.  At a CC, this is no impediment to promotion, at least in the years I was moving up to "Professor."

And here I am, on the threshold of mortality, albeit yet in the classroom (on a reduced teaching load).  Am I wracked by regret?  No.  Why should I be?  I've enjoyed my career, such as it was, and while I can envision other paths, none of them were taken.  One can only take one path at each branching, and where you end... you end.

What's to come?  I dunno.  There's plenty of honey in the hive (>$3M--TIA-CREFF, personal investments, an inheritance, no family, worthless relatives to disinherit, and frugal habits), so what I choose to do now is not dependent on finances.  I suspect that I'll not completely hang up my jock, but begin to adjunct a course or so a year once the "retirement celebration," has [not] taken place... (since this is something I will firmly abjure--too much like a burial service.  And I'm not underground yet).

So, to those fora members early in their careers, or even still to begin...  well, no useful advice.  Contingency is, if not everything, still quite a big thing, yet I wish you all a satisfactory career.

Good luck!

“[A] daily irritant, unrelieved over a period of time, can interfere more with one's peace of mind than events of national import."
                                    -J. McLaughlin
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 3:11:51 PM »

This post reminds me of Stegner's beautiful book: Crossing to Safety.
professor_pat

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »

Loved your post, Juvenal. Kindred spirits, I think.

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
nebo113

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 9:43:35 PM »

I am thankful to have lived long enough to retire, though, as with Juvenal, I have no useful advice on much of anything except:  don't get too hung up on having enough money to retire.

Life is short.  Death is long.
visionbuild

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »

In the beginning it is quiet!  The panic of not having to be somewhere certainly adds to the unease.  But this shall pass and the pure joy of not having to be anywhere turns into a joy and a right of passage!
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »

I've been working harder if anything since retiring.  My writing has improved due to fewer distractions now.

Taste o' the Sixties
westcoastgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »

Very nice post.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »

I must have missed this thread when you started it, juvenal.  I hope you're still reading, so that I can tell you how much I always enjoy your posts.

My Better Half is going through phased retirement right now, and his career is not very unlike yours.  Mine is even less traditional, in that I left the TT merry-go-round long before its stresses (of which I have of course heard but which did not really feel) could wear any creases into my face.  (Other things did that!)  All I can tell you is that when My Better Half is in the non-working segments of the phased-retirement cycle, he is happier and more relaxed than I have ever seen him, even though for 30+ years he loved teaching.  I hope that your retirement treats you as well.

And I hope you'll continue to show up here and tell us how you're doing.  You have a unique voice, and I hope to keep hearing it on the fora!

Best wishes to you.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseñen bien a sus hijos.
nebo113

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 5:14:46 PM »

Double what infopri just said.
federale
Pistol packin'

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 1:48:17 AM »

Loved the OP.

Best to you juvenal!
lucy_

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 5:58:09 AM »

Reviewing my undistinguished career........

I'm probably mid career at this point. And even now, as I look both backward and forward, I think any time we impact and influence others, that is what distinguishes our career. I look at all the lives I've touched, hopefully in a positive way. To me, that is our greatest reward and greatest accomplishment as an educator, advisor, mentor.

Happy retirement!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: