• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:47:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 2730 2731 [2732] 2733 2734 ... 3702
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your one-offs here  (Read 4629469 times)
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #40965 on: January 07, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »

I would have been quite happy to have been mentored by wolves, honey badgers, even a beneficent slime mold.  In neither of my graduate programs did I receive any mentoring at all.  All snark aside, this is one of the reasons I am professionally and ethically committed to the Fora.

I'll drink tea to that.  Publishing?  Never heard of it.  No one encouraged it, invited me on as an author, or showed me how to do it. I was told, however, it could wait until I finished the PhD. 

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #40966 on: January 07, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »

I would have been quite happy to have been mentored by wolves, honey badgers, even a beneficent slime mold.  In neither of my graduate programs did I receive any mentoring at all.  All snark aside, this is one of the reasons I am professionally and ethically committed to the Fora.

I'll drink tea to that.  Publishing?  Never heard of it.  No one encouraged it, invited me on as an author, or showed me how to do it. I was told, however, it could wait until I finished the PhD. 

I figured out publishing on my own--but I watched peers have no clue and flail.  I also figured out teaching more or less on my own.  But when it came to the job market, I was completely (even astonishingly) clueless.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
merinoblue

« Reply #40967 on: January 07, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »

I figured out publishing on my own--but I watched peers have no clue and flail. 

I am fortunate to be getting the publishing experience in my current job that I missed during my PhD.  Better late than never.

Defender of whimsy
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #40968 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »

I am fortunate to be getting the publishing experience in my current job that I missed during my PhD.  Better late than never.

I knew there was something I was forgetting to do in my current job.

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #40969 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

You're in luck, GH.  We just had a thread on that.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #40970 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »

On finding a new job?

yellowtractor

« Reply #40971 on: January 07, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »

On finding a new job?

On having to find a new job because you forgot about publishing in your current job.

merinoblue

« Reply #40972 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »

On finding a new job?

On having to find a new job because you forgot about publishing in your current job.

I think we also have a fridge magnet for that.

Defender of whimsy
yellowtractor

« Reply #40973 on: January 07, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »

On finding a new job?

And an emoticon.  But I wouldn't recommend using it.

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #40974 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »

On finding a new job?

Thanks.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
yellowtractor

« Reply #40975 on: January 07, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »

On finding a new job?

Thanks.

No snark intended--at you, TZ.  And I'm very sorry if that stung.  But my own experiences of mortal grief have led me to believe that one does best to choose the objects of one's anger, insofar as this is possible.  I never got much mileage myself out of being angry at lame/clueless well-wishers.

I really had to struggle, at one time, with the realization that language (including cliche, including emoticons) functions very differently for some people in my life than it does for me.  Those differences were rendered starkly at certain moments such as these.

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #40976 on: January 07, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »

On finding a new job?

Thanks.

No snark intended--at you, TZ.  And I'm very sorry if that stung.  But my own experiences of mortal grief have led me to believe that one does best to choose the objects of one's anger, insofar as this is possible.  I never got much mileage myself out of being angry at lame/clueless well-wishers.

I really had to struggle, at one time, with the realization that language (including cliche, including emoticons) functions very differently for some people in my life than it does for me.  Those differences were rendered starkly at certain moments such as these.

I didn't take that as snark at me. I can't choose my objects of anger. My only parent is about to die. I think it's a-ok to vent on a pseudononymous forum about the cluelessness to which I've been subjected.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
amlithist

« Reply #40977 on: January 07, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »

But my own experiences of mortal grief have led me to believe that one does best to choose the objects of one's anger, insofar as this is possible.  I never got much mileage myself out of being angry at lame/clueless well-wishers.

Nicely said, YT.  I think, too, one of the big realizations I came to--and that I still have to remind myself of sometimes--is that these various functions/uses of language are public domain, i.e., "my" way isn't the only way, or the right way, if that makes sense. 

Of course, that concept about language isn't a huge revelation, just as the notion that anger in general isn't very useful isn't.  They just both took me awhile to really understand and internalize. Likewise, it took a lot of hard work and banging my head against the figurative wall for me to come to understand that I really can control quite a lot of things, particularly my emotions and reactions (mainly because I'm lazy at heart about such things, and it was easier to say that I couldn't control them.  I could; I just didn't want to do the work needed).  A lot of other things are beyond my control, and I have to let those go.

Sorry to hijack--your comments just raised these ideas for me, and I do well to be reminded of them, esp. as I start a new work semester!
miss_jane_marple
Confused Wasp and

I prefer the chocolates

« Reply #40978 on: January 07, 2013, 5:27:22 PM »

<unrelated>

Yes, it is a felony. Please call 911 and turn yourself in as soon as possible.

We love diversity--as long as it's not diversity of opinion.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #40979 on: January 07, 2013, 5:34:18 PM »

Oh, I went there, jane.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
Pages: 1 ... 2730 2731 [2732] 2733 2734 ... 3702
  Print  

Jump to: