• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 1:31:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: should I contact the professor before the postdoc application deadline  (Read 2846 times)
funfunxu

« on: January 07, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

I am applying for a postdoc position in humanities. There is a professor in the institution whose research is very similar to mine. Should I contact him before the deadline and tell him that I am applying for the postdoc and looking forward to working/collaborating with him?

Any suggestion in writing research proposal and proposed course description for the postdoc application?

Thanks a lot.
dr_fungal
Filamentous

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 3:13:06 PM »

I am not in the humanities, so others please chime in if you think my recommendation should be different.

I recommend that you write an email to this person to ask if you should apply.  Your email should mention why you are interested in working with them and specifically cite the areas of the proposed project you are interested in (cite papers of theirs that you have read). 

Did you find out about this opportunity through a colleague who knows this person?  If so, mention that that person's name. 

Again, don't just write this email to tell them you are applying...  write it as an inquiry about the position.  If possible, also mention that you would like to speak with them about it before applying. 

In the end, if they don't respond to your email, submit your application anyway.  Sometimes there are so many email inquiries that they just won't respond. 

through the dolipore septum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: