• February 8, 2016
February 08, 2016, 11:19:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny Reference Questions students Have asked  (Read 35009 times)
rebeccaleone123

« on: December 11, 2012, 1:28:05 pm »

On the Balancing Work and Life list for professors, they started a funny thread about questions non-academics ask them when professors tell them what their job is.   I thought we could do the old, funny questions that students ask reference librarians.

Here's one to get us started:  Student walks to the reference desk and asks if we have books.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »

Well, DO you?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
miss_jane_marple
Self-identified staunchly dowdy

I prefer the chocolates

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 2:48:52 pm »

How can I get a journal article?

I'm not sure about this one, but I wouldn't be willing to bet against MJM.
professor_pat

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 2:15:14 pm »

Yay, xtranormal is back! Thanks, Miss_Jane_Marple, that was a hoot.

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
hmaria1609

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 9:24:31 pm »

There's a similar topic on Librarything.com!
pegcostello

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:05:09 am »

The Sunday before Thanksgiving week, a student came to the desk and asked if the University would be holding classes on Monday; he was concerned as no one seemed to be in town. I told him that the entire week was considered a University holiday and no classes were going to held. Then he asked, "What the hell am I doing here?" That, I couldn't answer.
waryjack

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 9:40:58 pm »

A couple stick with me:

Student: "Do you have books on, um, a chemical topic?"
Me: "We have chemistry books; can I help you find a certain topic?"
Student: "No, not really. Just something chemical. You know."

Student: "Do you have any books on really obscure millionaires?"
Me: "...I don't know."       

misslemon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 4:51:35 pm »

Can you tell me where to find some books on Youth In Asia (euthanasia)?

What country is euthanasia located in?  China or Japan?
athos

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 11:36:08 am »

In the middle of the day, a student actually asked me
where is the library and is it open? Was she blind?

libwitch

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 1:36:21 pm »

..and how many of have us has gotten
Do you have books?....(I get this at least once a year.  And I just pause and answer very slowly....yessss.....)

Last Friday I was asked how to spell our mailing address.  By a last semester senior.   Our City is also our UniversityName.   

Sometime last year I had a student who wanted to know what the Soviet Union was, because they had never heard of it.  I had to pull out a map along with an encyclopedia.  The same student had a question as to how George Bush had served as president more then 2 terms.  After  few moments of going around with him, I realized he didn't know that it was his father who had served prior to Clinton.   

de_safran

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 8:09:24 pm »

Last Friday some on the phone asked, "Do you sell African clothes?"  I said this is a library.  Caller continued, "But don't you have vendors?"

libwitch

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 1:50:17 pm »

I realize its summer, so questions for many of us are slower, but I just had this one today:

I need to find an article about business in the Wall Street Journal.

Well, at least I could assure him it probably wouldn't be hard.
vkw10

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:31 pm »

I'm translating that as "I have no idea what WSJ is or how to find it, but I have to take an article to class in 15 minutes." Sound right?
cibolo

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 10:52:01 pm »

I'm responsible for maintaining the grey literature library of a small university research center. While our library is open to students for use, a certain amount of the information is protected by law. For that reason, we cannot allow students to scan or photocopy those kinds of information. A student came in today looking for references for an essay for one of his classes:

Stu: Can I make a photocopy of this [figure containing protected information]?
Me: No, the [figures] contain protected information. You can use them here and take notes, but you can't photocopy them.
Stu: Oh... (turns page)... What about this one?

Now, I have to ask: What difference did he think there would be between the figure he couldn't photocopy on one page, and the figure he couldn't photocopy on the next page? Stu argues with me and requests "clarification" over and over again every time he comes in. I feel like he's just trying to wear me down or get me to say "yes" to one of them so he can argue about the rest.

Touch not the four-thousand-year-old ceramic cat but a glove.
libwitch

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 12:57:41 pm »

I realize its summer, so questions for many of us are slower, but I just had this one today:

Well, at least I could assure him it probably wouldn't be hard.

No, he actually had the instructions on how to access the WSJ through our website step by step with him (they were given in the syllabus) - but the assignment was in a nutshell "read an article relating to business (in the United States) and summarize it."   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: