• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:29:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bodybuilders' thread  (Read 4617 times)
fizmath
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »

Well, I guess I am joining this thread. We are about to buy a Bowflex. My daughter has been harassing us endlessly since we said "maybe" in early December.

I don't know how much I'll use the Bowflex, but I do want to get into more regular weight training. But finding the time, ugh! Is it worth it if you can only manage very short workouts or one a week? Making the time to run has become an absolute necessity for me, and I don't want to trade off running time for lifting time.

I won't lift weights unless I am well rested and sleep deprivation has seen to it that I can workout with weights about once a week.  I have noticed a significant increase in strength in the past four years.  On many of the machines I use in the gym I am using weights that are about 30% greater than four years ago.  I can get a good workout in about 50 minutes.  Thirty minutes should be fine on a Bowflex since you are not moving around to different places like you do at a gym.  I would also supplement with body weight exercises, balance ball and rubber bands for variety.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »

That is really encouraging, Fitzmath. Thanks!

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
tortugaphd

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35:36 AM »

Well, I guess I am joining this thread. We are about to buy a Bowflex. My daughter has been harassing us endlessly since we said "maybe" in early December.

I don't know how much I'll use the Bowflex, but I do want to get into more regular weight training. But finding the time, ugh! Is it worth it if you can only manage very short workouts or one a week? Making the time to run has become an absolute necessity for me, and I don't want to trade off running time for lifting time.

I've never used a Bowflex before, but I suppose doing any kind of resistance exercise is good for you.  The conventional wisdom is that nothing beats the free weights, but don't let that discourage you.  Just do what you can in a way that makes you feel like you've gotten a good workout.

p.s.  With the running....  I find that I get by fine on very little cardio.  I do a short walk first thing in the morning on days I don't lift, more so for mental health than for physical health.  I used to run long distances years ago but have since abandoned that for lifting.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:39:00 AM by tortugaphd » Logged
tortugaphd

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »

One problem I tend to have with my workouts is the need to compartmentalize muscle groups - "Oh, today is core day! Tomorrow it's arms and shoulders!" - which isn't always easy in a crowded gym when you don't have a lot of time. I need to figure out a good way to navigate around this thinking.

Would you be open to following a formal program that gives you full-body workouts?  I began with Starting Strength which is very simple in concept.
kennypowers

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »

Everyone I have introduced to starting strength always has their mind blown the first day that they can do a 45 minute workout that is 3 movements and for each one takes a warm up plus 3 sets of 5 (1 set of 5 for deadlifts and 5 sets of 3 for power cleans) and have it be as exhaustive as doing 3 sets of 10 on 12 different nautilus machines
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 5:03:11 PM »

If you haven't seen it, this MAC makeup ad featuring a bodybuilder is really cool.
http://jezebel.com/5973202/mac-put-a-female-bodybuilder-in-a-makeup-ad-and-its-beautiful
tortugaphd

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

If you haven't seen it, this MAC makeup ad featuring a bodybuilder is really cool.
http://jezebel.com/5973202/mac-put-a-female-bodybuilder-in-a-makeup-ad-and-its-beautiful

Thanks!  Someone sent me that on facebook a while back, and I was very impressed with MAC for doing this.
blackadder

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 4:13:15 PM »

How'd I miss this thread!?

I've been competing in powerlifting and strongman (actually woman) for about 6 years now. Freaks out my students. :) Hehe.

tortugaphd

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 9:37:35 PM »

How'd I miss this thread!?

I've been competing in powerlifting and strongman (actually woman) for about 6 years now. Freaks out my students. :) Hehe.

Welcome, blackadder!  I would love to hear about how your training is going.

Me?  Right now, I'm in the middle of week 2 of StrongLifts.  The weights are still light now and will be that way for the next few weeks, so I'm cutting a bit to lose the weight that I gained from eating too much rich food while I was in NOLA for the AHA.
blackadder

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 6:03:03 PM »

Thanks!
Right now I'm just trying to get back into 3 x week lifting and 2-3 x a week walking/biking/swimming. Picked up too many hours at my other job between semesters and really just turned into a blob.

Might do a push-pull meet in March.
tortugaphd

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »

How's everyone doing as we round the corner to the month of February?

I've been following StrongLifts religiously, and I'm getting to the point where the weights are no longer easy.  I'm still far from where I was when I quit my rather directionless training on my own, so the weights aren't hard, yet, but I'm no longer feeling like I'm just going through the motions.  My weight loss stalled in the high 120's, and from here on out, my goal is simply to maintain while increasing weights lifted for a few more weeks.  If I continue on the program beyond that, I'll consider a weight gain of 1 lb. per month.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »

At 67, I find that I can still handle very heavy loads, but need several tween days, not just one.  I treadmill walk on the other days.

Taste o' the Sixties
tenured_feminist

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 8:43:37 AM »

We put the bowflex together yesterday! The look on my daughter's face when she saw it was priceless. Now we just need to figure out how to get started with it.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
newcomertoo

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 2:40:40 PM »

I work out every other day. I ride on the stationary bike for 15 minutes to warm up, and then weight train with free weights or do pilates. My body is toned except the hip. Can anyone recommend any exercised to tone that?
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 2:46:38 PM »

Bowflex:  Upper- Inclined bench press, inclined crunches with resistance (don't bother with the sling - just hold the handles on your chest,) [lower bench] rowing, overhead press, hyperextended pass over head while lying on back, curls

Lower:  Leg curls, leg hyperextensions

Four seconds up; four seconds down.  Start with max weight for seven reps, work to 12, then increase weight.

Taste o' the Sixties
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: