• November 28, 2015

Chronicle Forums

November 28, 2015, 5:36:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:35:22 am 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by octoprof
Today is the last real day of vacation. Tomorrow is a long travel day. At least the weather is good today!

Your new car is spiffy, paddington!

on: Today at 04:35:42 am 
Started by nebo113 - Last post by mystictechgal
Trump advocates whatever is best for Trump. He's no fascist. He's an opportunist.

My guess is that he commenced his presidential run as a protest and publicity stunt to build his brand and ratings. Then he realized that is bombastic speeches actually had a following, and turned this into a serious run for president.

Now that establishment GOP has their hands full with an angry mob of far-right wingers to contend with. It's hard to be sympathetic, and they actively courted these voters and trained them to distrust virtually everyone in government. It turns out that includes the establishment.

You reap what you sow.

Yeah. That's how Rush started. If you read anything about his early career, including his own early-written autobiographies, you'll find that he started his shtick as a comedy/parody routine. Then he discovered that he had an audience who believed him and supported the carp he was espousing and the money and fame started rolling in. He's been taking himself seriously ever since.

Sometimes, I kind of regret the privacy laws surrounding voting. Not enough to repeal them, but I have a feeling that if they were available they might surprise some of the followers of some of the talking heads who have gotten us to this place.

on: Today at 04:11:13 am 
Started by zoelouise - Last post by mystictechgal
I made Thanksgiving at home--well, at least at the home where I'm petsitting. I'd bought everything before I ended up getting invited to my SIL's home for the day. So, today a friend came over and we worked on changing a website that I'd originally built for an organization we're both invested in, and then we cooked dinner with what I'd planned for myself.

Cornish game hens with herb stuffing, acorn squash, corn, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie with whipped cream. (No Brussles sprouts. I took those to SIL's.)

We ate in front of the TV and laughed our way through DVDs (4-6) of the Wingfield Farms plays. I'd finally treated myself to them after years of longing. (Not happy that 7 became available just as these were delivered. I'd have bought it, too--in a heartbeat, and still would, but while I'd spend the $25 for the DVD, they want another $25 to mail it from Canada. That just hurts too much, right now. If my passport was current I could drive there, buy it, and drive back for less.)

It was an absolutely lovely day. We had so much fun. I guess that's why I'm still up and posting, I don't want it to end.

on: Today at 03:39:02 am 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by mystictechgal
One thing that I've watched happen when games are introduced hasn't been mentioned, and even though it may have (for, often, good reason) negative connotations when introduced at professional meetings of people who work together every day, it does seem to work to good advantage in many classroom settings. They break the ice--even if (and maybe better than) they're not done on day 1--and bring students together.

Like Polly and Jane, I never needed, or wanted, any of that in order to learn, and I questioned why others couldn't just read and listen and get on with it. But, you've gotta go with the flow. Honestly, I knew the human reproductive systems. I did not need to work on a team (in my human sexuality class) to build a representation of one of them using rubber bands, toilet tubes, balloons, and other stuff to remember the names of the different parts and how they fit together. But, after the fact I had to admit that doing so cut through some of the discomfort we might have felt in discussing some sensitive topics. And, had he not been on my team, I rather doubt that the 40-some year old Black cop would have felt comfortable stepping out into the hallway with me when he was wondering, but was afraid to ask (the other, younger, females--also from the team--elected me to answer), what a Kegel exercise was and why a woman's doing of them might also benefit him. (Yeah. That was a fun conversation.)

In classes like physics and chemistry doing those games not only taught us something, those of us competing together ended up forming our study groups around our team mates. We bonded through them, because we were focused on beating the other teams. In one physics class, we were, almost all, shamed when the professor's elementary aged children, attending because they had a snow day, built better catapults out of Popsicle sticks that we did. The team that beat them trash talked the rest of us for weeks. I was 20+ years older than many of my classmates, but they didn't avoid me, they lobbied to get me on their teams and we became friends.

Minus "games", if we'd just been sitting in our chairs learning independently, I seriously doubt that we'd ever have formed study groups or real friendships in our classes. As a group we were too diverse--older students, athletes, dorm dwellers, commuters, singles, parents, cheerleaders, able, disabled, on the spectrum  . . . We learned to be okay with each other through them. It's not the same as the Think-Pair-Share type activities. They, too, have a place, but the freedom of joining together to discuss and compete as a team forms different bonds. I've been through too many HR driven "team building" experiences to count and, based on those I would have discounted the idea out of hand (and did, at first). But, in spite of my misgivings, I experienced it working in this context. And, it worked really well.

on: Today at 03:14:26 am 
Started by ford_prefect - Last post by daniel_von_flanagan
Where is all this money coming from? Donors? Program cuts? Tuition? Selling off assets?
Liability insurance.  At least, that was the said to be source for the last set of payouts. - DvF

on: Today at 03:10:43 am 
Started by untenured - Last post by daniel_von_flanagan
This stuff?  Count me out, ew. - DvF

on: Today at 03:03:38 am 
Started by mystictechgal - Last post by daniel_von_flanagan
My guess is that your app got Waze integration.
I doubt MotionX and Waze/Google have such an arrangement. - DvF

on: Today at 02:53:19 am 
Started by crazybatlady - Last post by lucy_
Thanksgiving Breakfast:

Pumpkin Custard made with coconut/almond/chia seed milk
Pumpkin Muffins (with cranberries, pecans, and raisins)

Thanksgiving Lunch:

Cauliflower Soup
turkey neck

Thanksgiving Dinner:

Cornbread, sausage, mushroom, apple, raisin, onion, celery stuffing
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Candied Yams
Cranberry sauce (cooked with orange juice and grated orange zest, mixed with orange and raspberries once cool)
Applesauce (made with empires apples, apple cider, cinnamon, and allspice)

on: Today at 02:46:38 am 
Started by john_proctor - Last post by lucy_
Our bird eating his seeds and pellets, well more like digging around in his pellets to find seeds

A plane flying overhead

Otherwise, the sounds of silence

This is lovely.

I am listening to Grey's Anatomy.

I"m glad I could convey the peace of the morning.

Currently, listening to the CNN's series on the 60s: currently  the events of 1968.

on: Today at 02:43:04 am 
Started by pphillipp - Last post by lucy_
I've found that over time, even the relationships I want to maintain, slowly grow weaker over time, when we live far apart and don't see one another on a consistent basis. If it were I, I'd continue to be friendly, but busy.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10