• May 24, 2016

Chronicle Forums

May 24, 2016, 2:08:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:03:13 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by wet_blanket
It doesn't "come across" as ignoring these. It actually does that.

I speak from experience. Both the Catwoman and I have twice moved from one country to another. Neither of us ever limited our searches for faculty positions to the USA, any more than we limited our search for grad schools to Israel. Between that and the many friends we have who are currently working overseas, or have done so in the past, I am more familiar than the author with the issues involved with leaving your country for a job.

He may not have chosen the title for the article, but the concluding sentences of the article demonstrate that the title is pretty much the point of his article.

I guess we're not going to agree .  I will say that I'm at four international moves as an adult now (and hoping for a fifth in the next couple of years) so it's not that I don't appreciate your very real picture of the difficulties.

on: Today at 01:11:15 am 
Started by parsnip - Last post by pigou

-- there is no opportunity for UW faculty to unionize, either.  That law hasn't changed in the days since you were told this, too.

Reply #160 --- yes, thanks for the information. Something like this may be coming in other states too. Our full professors have tenure, union and well into six figures. Science, humanities, all of them. Some voters don't warm up to that.

I guess we're just gonna say to each other the voters should want what we want or they are dumb...?

Voters can ask for whatever they want -- but in a free market economy, they can't force anyone to provide the service. A colleague of mine from grad school went into the private sector (finance) and his entry level job paid $300k/year + bonuses. A couple years in, he started making over $1m/year consistently.

I'm happy to take a pay cut for an academic job, because it comes with many other perks. But if one university starts slashing those perks and goes after its faculty, then nobody should be surprised when people leave for greener pastures. The idea that $100k for someone with a PhD and even moderate research output is an absurdly high wage is insane.

Either voters want a cheap education or a quality education. They can't have both... and it stands to reason that they're not well informed about the tradeoffs they're implicitly making. I suspect it's pretty hard to find a well-ranked university that doesn't pay its faculty well.

on: Today at 12:52:43 am 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by clean
Cruise ended early Saturday (up at 6am) .  Flight was late Saturday  (1130pm), overnight.  Arrived at the  airport (1pm local time) to find vehicle would start, but not move faster than idle speed with lots of warning lights.

parked the vehicle.  Then it would not start at all.  Checked into local hotel.

Had to wait until this morning to get AAA to tow me to local dealership.

Diagnosis: Blew the $1250 computer board and need another $300 + wiring harness.  PLUS it is not in stock!  It will (hopefully) arrive in the morning.  With luck Ill be home (finally ) by 5 tomorrow.

For tonight?  Another hotel night for me!

Hotel's wifi is down so eating up my cell minutes to entertain myself on internet.

Today I walked to 7 local establishments (including Walmart, gas station, and Cracker Barrel) to find a newspaper.  NO newspapers in the area!  ON the plus side, I logged over 7000 steps in the search!

Other things to look forward to?  When I left the AC in the house was acting up. I may end up getting home tomorrow night only to find that the AC is not working - for another grand or 2 to get that fixed too!

When it rains it pours! 
Good thing that my summer classes have made.  (though this isn't the way I had PLANNED to spend the money!!)

on: Today at 12:08:23 am 
Started by capc9133 - Last post by capc9133
Solid Wood Furniture For Sale UK . Go to s-o-l-i-d-w-o-o-d-b-e-d-s'c-o'u-k

on: Yesterday at 11:36:55 pm 
Started by merinoblue - Last post by vhagar
Galavant

How long until this jet-lag wears off?

on: Yesterday at 11:29:24 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by leobloom
Do not breastfeed the troll!

on: Yesterday at 11:05:29 pm 
Started by yawo1964 - Last post by baleful_regards
merino and tuxedo made good points.

I research young children. I *always* assume my IRB approval is going to take longer and be more rigorous, even when I do relatively little but embed in preschool classrooms. Human subject research with vulnerable populations will always be flagged for scrutiny, as it should.

Furthermore, I assume that the clinic with which you want to partner will have it's own process in addition to your IRB process?

Whenever I approach a site, I do it with the understanding that I will be answering to everybody - teachers, parents, administration over and above my own Uni IRB. I generally approach a teacher first, then let him/her approach the principal or director who sends me to the next level. In this way I am building those relationships along the way and being really transparent about the research.

I go out of my way to be available to all of these gatekeepers because they will effectively determine if I am a person with whom they will share space in a classroom - when they have no obligation to do so.

Finally, I'm at a Uni where it is hard to not know the faculty who serve on the IRB.  Becoming known, and becoming known as a reasonable person who does good work with ethical standards is invaluable.

on: Yesterday at 11:00:55 pm 
Started by looking4advice - Last post by larryc
Go! The point of a campus visit is that you are interviewing each other. For you that includes judging the department, the students, the community as a home for your family, and anything else that might effect your decision. You need to do this in person. You might fall in love with the place.

Think of it this way--whoever the university hires, they will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next decade. The price of a few international plane tickets is peanuts. Go!

on: Yesterday at 10:59:22 pm 
Started by merinoblue - Last post by familydoc
How 'bout a pie full of cyanide?
Can you imagine the fuss?
Cramps! Diarrhea! Convulsions!
Then see ya! A happy ending for us.

on: Yesterday at 10:59:15 pm 
Started by parsnip - Last post by protoplasm

-- there is no opportunity for UW faculty to unionize, either.  That law hasn't changed in the days since you were told this, too.

Reply #160 --- yes, thanks for the information. Something like this may be coming in other states too. Our full professors have tenure, union and well into six figures. Science, humanities, all of them. Some voters don't warm up to that.

I guess we're just gonna say to each other the voters should want what we want or they are dumb...?

The voters want colleges that operate like the University of Phoenix, with 100% non-unionized adjunct faculty being paid $1800/course only teaching "career-relevant" courses and programs. What do you want?

Is that your worst nightmare? I don't think we know exactly what the public wants. Perhaps they are willing to be led. What I believe is the current system offers little to believe in in terms of fairness or win-win.  We could do better. 1/2 to 2/3 of the work force as outsiders trying to get in is flat out wrong. Justifying cost by comparing to others in the same racket is not going to win anyone's trust. Tycoon administrators is unappealing. Limousine liberals giving money to charity and congratulating each other over truing down another $200K pay raise...gimme a break.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10