• July 1, 2016

Chronicle Forums

July 01, 2016, 4:38:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 04:30:24 pm 
Started by paddington_bear - Last post by maur1473
Here's how I made the decision. I ran across this little exercise, which was really clarifying for me:

Since you can't know with any certainty the long-term effects of your decision, focus for a moment on the short-term:  Close your eyes and imagine you've decided to leave.  Right now, without thinking of what might or might not happen, how do you feel?   Now imagine you've decided to stay.  How do you feel?

When I imagined leaving, I felt an overwhelming relief at not having to read all the back issues of academic journals that were piling up on my bookshelves.  It seems like such a small thing -- but I made the decision to leave that day, and I've never really regretted it.  I miss certain things about academia -- but I'm happier and have more options where I am now.

on: Today at 04:29:05 pm 
Started by alastrina - Last post by larryc
"It is your duty, man, your duty!"

on: Today at 04:11:20 pm 
Started by expatinuk - Last post by yellowtractor
George MacDonald's Lilith.  What a long strange trip.  I can't believe I made it through this as an 11-year-old.

on: Today at 04:09:31 pm 
Started by tortugaphd - Last post by turing_complete
Congrats, betterslac!  My letter from the President of the University arrived today.  I will become a full professor on July 1 of this year.

And so it begins...

on: Today at 04:09:02 pm 
Started by academicpop - Last post by yellowtractor
Depends on whether your cover letter is good enough for me to invest the time looking any further.

If the cover letter stinks or completely misses the boat, then, no, I'm not reading any of the other material including your CV.  First and foremost, we're hiring teachers AKA effective communicators.

Well, yes, there's that.

Our HR overlords also require us to score every single application using the rubric we create and they approve, within the EAZZZZE software they bought- so we end up reading even the stinky ones just to have a stinky score.

I'm sorry.  Does EAZZZZE software allow you to assign creative grades?  Our Moodle system permits Hogwarts grading.

on: Today at 04:08:20 pm 
Started by canuckois - Last post by proftowanda
One of the most Canadian videos possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

Canadian surfers!  (Complete with plaid flannel, of course.)

on: Today at 04:07:07 pm 
Started by firstbook - Last post by yellowtractor
My problem, when I am on a writing binge, is that going to the store + buying perishable vegetables + cooking/eating said vegetables before they degenerate into refrigerator scrum is often too much for the process to bear.

Eat some protein when you write. Not carbs. That's what I did. Prediabetes is a bad thing.

Also, you really do need to get up and move about some during the day--combine that moving about with meal preparation. Just make a sandwich or a salad or whatever. For an extra workout, go to the grocery store. Grocery trips saved my sanity when I wrote my diss--we'd go to the really nice store in town and get good meat and cheese (at least, the best we could afford on stipends).

Agreeing again with the protein-vs-carbs part, but I always find the grocery store trips distracting, perhaps because I actually like to cook, and it doesn't take much to get my mind back in the FOOD/COOKING channel.  Which is not the writing channel.

YMMV, of course.

Trader Joe's if you have one near you:  yes.

on: Today at 03:58:06 pm 
Started by canuckois - Last post by ursula
One of the most Canadian videos possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

on: Today at 03:55:46 pm 
Started by slacwriter - Last post by cmeagher7
As far as # 3 goes, without addressing it head on, you could simply describe certain initiatives you are working on, and the value to the college (which the Dean happens to be trying to roadblock but you. don't need to get into that).

Then you have sold the VPAA on the idea, and now the Dean will look like a doofus when trying to explain why these are a bad idea.

on: Today at 03:54:12 pm 
Started by neutralname - Last post by game9267
My own solution is to us a laptop with a larger external monitor, with an extended desktop so that I can maximize two windows simultaneously on two different screens. Most often, I'll have my research notes up on one screen and my word processor up in another. This is easier to manage with two separate screens than it would be with one big screen (I hate mucking about with adjusting window sizes and positions), though there are probably utilities out there that enable you to divide a big screen into multiple little screens easily.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10