• October 31, 2014

Chronicle Forums

October 31, 2014, 7:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:42:07 PM 
Started by elsie - Last post by amsonia
Yes, Spork, I'm going to do more of this. Slowly but surely!

on: Today at 07:39:31 PM 
Started by jonesey - Last post by spork

A journal doesn't get started overnight, and it's long past time for disciplines like classics to get started with creating these sorts of venues for publication.

I'm not in classics, but this is exactly what I'm doing as well. I'm in the early stages of launching a journal  that will be published in-house rather than in connection with an academic publisher (I had some interest from publishers, but they decided that because it's a fairly specialized project, it wouldn't enough subscribers to cover the costs). The software we need is already in place, so I won't have any hosting or IT costs. I just have to worry about labor, which I can mostly cover by doing this as part of the "scholarship" portion of my job.

In-house publication represents a major opportunity for university libraries.

on: Today at 07:33:53 PM 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by happylittletrees
dark chocolate

on: Today at 07:27:58 PM 
Started by spalam01 - Last post by systeme_d_
My best advice is to find one extrovert to introduce you around.   

I do this all the time for young scholars, grad students, etc.   I ask them who they'd most like to meet, (or, admittedly, in some cases I decide who they most need to meet) and then I introduce them, telling people about their current work (new job/search for collaborators/upcoming archive visit/job search/whatever) as I do so.

on: Today at 07:19:15 PM 
Started by iomhaigh - Last post by systeme_d_

I like Chris March, Dimitry, and Gunnar.  [AND FABIO!] I don't always enjoy Gunnar's designs, but he's always interesting to watch.  I hate Alexandria.  Most of the outfits bored me.  I did like Ben's dress once he finally listened to reason, and Chris's kilt was cool.  Ivanka was swilling Haterade.

+1 to everything, plus, one interpolation!

on: Today at 07:14:30 PM 
Started by acrimone - Last post by ab_grp
Hey, it's me again! Happy Halloween.  Or Hallowe'en.  I have provided candy to approximately 14 kids.  Mostly teens.  I want to just eat dinner now.  My teeth may be purple.  Cheers.

on: Today at 07:10:06 PM 
Started by elsie - Last post by spork
Tonight I'm making a foray into my filing cabinets, purging old research files. I know I don't need to keep the materials (notes, copies of published sources, etc.) I used to write (e.g.) an article I published 12 years ago, but... it's still hard to toss them. On the other hand, freeing up the space feels so good.

I don't have much in my office but I've made the decision to put paper copies of anything I have a digital version of in the recycle bin. What I do is open up one of my folders in Dropbox and compare what's there with what's in my filing cabinet. I also purge the Dropbox folder of old files -- I'm never going to need a syllabus from 2009, so why keep the digital or the paper version?

on: Today at 07:02:32 PM 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by ab_grp
I just wanted to come here and complain that Beauty.com/Drugstore.com sent me part of my order separately.  It was one of my complimentary samples.  It arrived in a box by itself.  We've all seen complimentary sample packets.  This was just one of those regular old sample packets, in a box, sent separately from the rest of the business.  The rest arrived one day later.  Really? Should I be flattered that they rushed the one sample out to me?  I only placed the order about 3 days ago.

on: Today at 06:55:57 PM 
Started by geheimrat - Last post by lizardmom1
Larryc is right, of course. None of us can know the culture of your place, either right at this moment in time, or at any time in the future.

on: Today at 06:47:30 PM 
Started by telemachus - Last post by protoplasm

If there is no legal protection for union activity, it does not mean it is illegal to organize a union, it just means the employer can fire you for it.   

God-given rights are a fine thing for society as they help us find the troublemakers and ostracize them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10