• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 596
  Print  
Author Topic: "Favorite" conversations with students  (Read 1539539 times)
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So
Distinguished Senior Member

Mind Ninja

« Reply #6165 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

Student misses last week in lab but doesn't contact me about it. Comes to see me this week a few hours before lab. After we talk a bit and I tell him it's a bad idea to miss a week without trying to contact me, then asks me if lab will take the entire time period.

He has a previous engagement that he'd prefer not to miss and he needs to leave by x o'clock which is before the end of the lab period.

Can't the student use some catalyst to get through the reactions faster?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:06:52 PM by galactic_hedgehog » Logged

cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6166 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »

Student misses last week in lab but doesn't contact me about it. Comes to see me this week a few hours before lab. After we talk a bit and I tell him it's a bad idea to miss a week without trying to contact me, then asks me if lab will take the entire time period.

He has a previous engagement that he'd prefer not to miss and he needs to leave by x o'clock which is before the end of the lab period.

I believe blasting caps are wonderful initiators for some reactions...

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #6167 on: April 11, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »

Why the hell didn't I do better in chemistry, then?

cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6168 on: April 12, 2012, 12:24:22 AM »

Your professors were probably afraid of your galactic genius and did everything they could (behind the scenes) to thwart your hedginess.

(I have no idea what that means. But I like it.)

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
galactic_hedgehog

Mind Ninja

« Reply #6169 on: April 12, 2012, 1:27:09 AM »

Your professors were probably afraid of your galactic genius and did everything they could (behind the scenes) to thwart your hedginess.

So do I.

polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #6170 on: April 12, 2012, 8:09:26 AM »

So do I.

I'm sure that's what my students who pulled the same thing Alan's did this week are thinking the same thing.

Seriously, you're scheduling meetings during a class where passing is primarily a matter of showing up every day and being able to pour urine out of the boot after being told the instructions are on the heel and being shown how to find the instructions?  Well, after you've already missed the equivalent of 10 classes and we're only on class 30, another half class ain't gonna matter.  However, you could have saved us all some trouble by making Friday's deadline of withdrawing.

I expect to have multiple talks in the next three weeks that follow that pattern.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
fancypants
is a great big meanie and a

« Reply #6171 on: April 12, 2012, 8:23:53 AM »

Student: Why is this guy's name at the top of every page in this part of the book?

Fancypants: Because he's the author of the play you've been assigned to read.

Student: Oh.  I had no idea who that was, so it was crazy to just see this random name on all the pages like that.

Of course, the author's name is printed on the page of assigned readings, in the author bio right before the play, and has been mentioned in class more than once as I reminded students of the upcoming reading assignment.  At least he was reading the assignment, I guess.

You can lead them to water but you can't give them a functional brain.
geoteo

« Reply #6172 on: April 12, 2012, 8:41:26 AM »

In a mild defense of your student, as a student I was present for several crew meetings of Royal Hunt of the Sun before I realized that the the king, Atahualpa, was the same individual I kept hearing about but never seeing, Otto Wolpa.  Sometimes, things that seem obvious to us are challenging and elusive to the inexperienced.

"Since the beginning of time, mankind has yearned for non-stick cookware."
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #6173 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »

This sounds more Anakin's style, G_H.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
fancypants

« Reply #6174 on: April 12, 2012, 4:03:41 PM »

In a mild defense of your student, as a student I was present for several crew meetings of Royal Hunt of the Sun before I realized that the the king, Atahualpa, was the same individual I kept hearing about but never seeing, Otto Wolpa.  Sometimes, things that seem obvious to us are challenging and elusive to the inexperienced.

Well, I'd be willing to cut him some slack if he just didn't know that it was customary for the author's name to be printed on each page of the play.  But that he didn't read the author bio (part of the assignment) which included the author's name, or pay attention to the name when it was announced in class, or make the connection between the author's name as it appeared on the assignment list right next to the name of the assigned play... that's exasperating.  Along with that, let's just say that this is part of a larger pattern for this student that has become tiresome.

gennidad
I've been on here how long?

« Reply #6175 on: April 12, 2012, 4:10:10 PM »

Well, I'd be willing to cut him some slack if he just didn't know that it was customary for the author's name to be printed on each page of the play.  But that he didn't read the author bio (part of the assignment) which included the author's name, or pay attention to the name when it was announced in class, or make the connection between the author's name as it appeared on the assignment list right next to the name of the assigned play... that's exasperating.  Along with that, let's just say that this is part of a larger pattern for this student that has become tiresome.

I had all sorts of problems with making associations like this in school.  It was usually because I was so engaged with some other class/problem/new disaster that my brain just never actually clicked over on it.  Several of my fellow students literally got to see me do the head/desk thing when I would realize I had done it again.

Be careful playing in the same sandbox as the kitties...
cms99

« Reply #6176 on: April 12, 2012, 4:28:20 PM »

I just had a student come to my office to do an independent study course this quarter.

Student:  "I need 2 credits to graduate".

cms99: "So, what would you like to do a project on?"

Student: "I'm not really sure.  What do you think I should do?"

cms99: "Well, I do work on basketweaving, in particualar a specific sort of basketweaving. Why did you come see me anyway?"

Student:  "The student aides said you were cool and would do an independent study with anyone."

When I find the aides the free donuts I bring in will cease!  And yes, I turned him down.  I've got enough headaches with clueless grad students this quarter, I don't need to hold any more hands.

Quote from: tenured_feminist

May all of your domestic animals poop in your shoes.
fancypants

« Reply #6177 on: April 12, 2012, 4:43:33 PM »

I had all sorts of problems with making associations like this in school.  It was usually because I was so engaged with some other class/problem/new disaster that my brain just never actually clicked over on it.  Several of my fellow students literally got to see me do the head/desk thing when I would realize I had done it again.

The head/desk thing is something this student does multiple times each class period, and more when he comes to my office for help.  I have gently and more firmly suggested that he figure out what's going on with his trouble processing details and making connections, and possibly get help with this--I do think there's a larger issue of some sort at play here.

What worked for you?

gennidad
I've been on here how long?

« Reply #6178 on: April 12, 2012, 5:57:47 PM »

I am not really sure.  My problems with making these connections was one where I couldn't stop thinking about one thing and focus on what I was supposed to be doing.  I would kind of just drift along picking up information but not able to make the connections I should have been.  One day it might be some accounting problem I just couldn't let go until I had come up with the answer. While that problem was on my mind I would pick up all the facts around me and could give you great factual recall; just don't ask me to tell you what it means. 

I think the low dose anti-depressant that I take to sleep allowed me to take control of my brain again.  I find that I don't obsess as much about problems and I am better able to switch topics.  My professors noticed when the change occured.  One talked to me about it.  She said I went from the great but slightly flakey student to the great and on topic student. 

Be careful playing in the same sandbox as the kitties...
galactic_hedgehog

Mind Ninja

« Reply #6179 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »

Today, in the advising center:

Student: Hi, can you tell me if I can graduate next year?

GH: Sure, have a seat.  Let's pull up your records.  Do you know how to read this?

Student: No.

GH: Well, this tells you your major.  Basketweaving, right?

Student: Yep.  What do I have to take to finish next year?

GH: Well, these tell you what you need to take.  To start, you haven't taken your gen-ed courses yet.

Student: But that's not part of my major.  These courses down here are for my major, right?

GH: Those are your major's specific course requirements.  But you also have to fulfill your gen-ed requirements.  <shows sheet>  You can take anything from this list.

Student: But, those aren't part of my major.

GH: Well, they are.  They're a requirement.  You have to fulfill them.

Student: Well, can I still graduate next year?  Can you tell me?

GH: Let's look.  This tells you how many credits you have.  You've completed six and eight are in progress this semester.

Student: So, can I finish next year?

GH: You still need more than 50 credits.  With a full schedule you'll be able to complete about 30 in two semesters.  Even with taking classes this summer, you won't get it all done.

Student: So, you don't think I'll be able to finish next year?

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 596
  Print  

Jump to: