To Discuss or not to Discuss?

(1/3) > >>

sds1968:
Hi Everyone,

I have an assignment-specific question in need of some insight.

I teach survey history courses, and I assign document analysis assignments. Students read two scholarly articles, ID the thesis of each author and defend their choice with examples from primary sources.

My inclination, and current practice, is not to discuss the articles until after the assignment is due. My thinking is that if we go over the documents before the assignment I would just be giving students answers. I do, however, encourage them to email me with questions etc about the documents individually.

So, my question is to review or not review the articles before the assignment is dude.

Thoughts?

proftowanda:
Any assignment that is dude deserves an A.

dr_know:
I've done this in comp and lit classes, but usually I would use another essay/poem/story for discussion first.  As a class, we'd analyze this sample so I'll know whether they understand the things to look for in the assigned writings. 

Other times, we'll broadly cover the ones being used for the assignment, but we won't go into much detail so that the students won't just regurgitate the class discussion.

yellowtractor:
Quote from: proftowanda on February 20, 2013,  6:47:04 PM

You're not reading closely, ProfT.  The OP specifically is asking about the period before the assignment is dude.

Pre-dude, as it were.

hodgeo:
Quote from: proftowanda on February 20, 2013,  6:47:04 PM

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page