Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1716/2496) > >>

marigolds:
Quote from: quasicat on March 19, 2013, 10:18:32 PM

Every semester there's at least one.  I just got a paper that was supposed to be three pages which consisted of this:

1 page dedicated to a really basic outline of the paper (none was required)
1. Intro
2. Body
3 Conclusion

1.5 pages dedicated to a series of one or two sentence paragraphs that answer some of the discussion questions from the prompt with no context or elaboration and absolutely no organization.

And it ends with a cutesy personal response to the subject/topic when I explicitly told students to identify and evaluate rhetorical strategies and not take a position on the issue.

And she's a little old lady with cancer.  I have to tell a little old lady with cancer that she doesn't know what the heck she's doing.  (And her source came from "the yahoo.")

Ha!

She is totally going to do this[/i] after you break it to her.

remylebeau:
Quote from: sprout on March 20, 2013,  1:28:49 PM

Then they get zeroes and it is not your problem.

(Easier said than done, I know.)

You're totally right, Sprout. I think a lot of my "teaching despair" is rooted in being an adjunct with a very small teaching load. So a handful of students with problems winds up being a significant chunk of my total students, which makes me get a little too caught up in it. But it's also the first time I've dealt with it, so it's probably just the shock of it. Trying to remember that piece of advice "can't care more than they do"

quasicat:
Quote from: marigolds on March 20, 2013,  2:30:41 PM

Quote from: quasicat on March 19, 2013, 10:18:32 PM

Every semester there's at least one.  I just got a paper that was supposed to be three pages which consisted of this:

1 page dedicated to a really basic outline of the paper (none was required)
1. Intro
2. Body
3 Conclusion

1.5 pages dedicated to a series of one or two sentence paragraphs that answer some of the discussion questions from the prompt with no context or elaboration and absolutely no organization.

And it ends with a cutesy personal response to the subject/topic when I explicitly told students to identify and evaluate rhetorical strategies and not take a position on the issue.

And she's a little old lady with cancer.  I have to tell a little old lady with cancer that she doesn't know what the heck she's doing.  (And her source came from "the yahoo.")

Ha!

She is totally going to do this[/i] after you break it to her.

No kidding.  I'm old school.  I have a hard time being tough prof on retirement age students. 

busys:
Quote from: remylebeau on March 20, 2013,  1:03:09 PM

I had several students miss the Thursday class before break, when I gave an assignment to be turned in yesterday. After collecting the assignments in class, I was, predictably, missing several from that group of students. When I reminded them yesterday after class (individually) that I hadn't received the assignment from them, two of them simply responded "I never received an assignment sheet." Of course you didn't! You weren't in class the day it was handed out! Nor did you contact me at any point over the thirteen days to find out what you missed in class and get one from me (which as my syllabus states, is their responsibility)

I've been having a lot of problems with this in my once a week classes. They miss a week, then the next week act surprised when I didn't magically convey the assignment into their hands while they were absent. I just put the assignment sheets up on the course website after class if I have several absent who I know won't contact me. When they come to me and complain I say, "Ah but it's on the course website--surely you checked there even if you couldn't possibly email me?" Insert dumbfounded, irritated look from them.

quasicat:
A student turned in an excessively terrible response questions set.  So I wondered...

And this is what I posted on her feedback in the CMS:

"While I don't grade on effort, I like to see how much time students put into their homework. When downloading your file, I noted that the stats for this assignment. You spent a total of 9 minutes doing this assignment and you started and completed it during class. That is not an effective way to succeed in this course. JA"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page