Policies re: streaming movies

(1/7) > >>

indianalitchick:
I am curious as to whether faculty at other institutions have to follow the following conditions when showing movies in their classes:

1.  I can only show a movie that the student can access for free (meaning that I am limited to [old]movies that are available through a streaming service the college has contracted with).  This is a college policy.

2. I can't stream a movie through my personal Netflix account because the college doesn't have a contract with them. 

Doesn't this conflict with academic freedom?

helpful:
You can't bring a dvd of a movie into your classes?

indianalitchick:
Evidently not.  This is why I am limited to one 8 year old movie.

glowdart:
The free movie thing is nuts.  

We have been told not to stream Netflix, however, and at one time, someone chose to interpret Fair Use to mean "Not allowed to screen DVDs in classes."  The latter gets summarily ignored as poppycock.  

I do remember being in a meeting once where the Netflix issue was discussed:

One colleague asked if that ban extended to offices.  (Admin:Yes! Because those are school computers!)

But wait, said another, my research requires that I watch films and I have always streamed them in my office while working and writing.  Am I now no longer allowed to do my research in my office?  (Ah... no! Sorry!  That's okay!  It's the classroom computers that are a problem!)

Another colleague:  "So what if we bring our office laptop to a classroom and use it on the wireless network?" (No, that'll still register as classroom use.)

Computer Colleague: Explains in painstaking detail how the wireless network works, how the routers are installed in the academic buildings, and how the offices also use the same routers as the classrooms, etc. etc. etc. (Blink, blink.  Blink. Don't use your school laptop to stream.)

Film Researcher objected again.  

Another colleague then asked if it were permissible to stream Netflix on the school's server but on the faculty member's personal computer, in a classroom.

Then one colleague asked if he could use his research fund to pay his Netflix subscription so as to get around our streaming-from-Netflix "ban."    

and on and on and on it spiraled.   (I adore my colleagues.  They are brilliant in the face of idiotic policy.)

francie_:
I think that forcing one to use content only available though the streaming service is very unreasonable and certainly raises academic freedom issues.

It is the streaming service pushing for these restrictions?  How is this policy enforced anyway and what are the consequences for violating it?  You should raise the issue with your faculty governance body.

I'd show a movie from a DVD anyway.  Heck with 'em.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page