I have the worst teacher ever! Can I help her?

<< < (2/5) > >>

fancypants:
Quote from: anisogamy on February 07, 2013,  8:20:36 AM

So I'm guessing that you're in some sort of methods course that could be taught at the CC level? Have you checked Coursera or other MOOCs to see if something similar is freely offered that could get you this same training? What you're struggling through now sounds wretched, and if you're not required to complete this actual course I think it might be best to withdraw and try to learn this material some other way.

I will second this. If this is something that you want to learn, it doesn't sound like you're in a situation that will provide the learning you seek. Find the situation that will.

I also agree with hegemony--let the chair know what's going on as well.

polly_mer:
Quote from: hegemony on February 07, 2013,  8:43:07 AM

If I were falling so far short of the mark in teaching, I'd want to be helped.  If a colleague were falling so far short, I'd want her to be helped.  And if I were a chair, I'd want to know about this.

This.  Even a freshman should be able to go to a professor and politely request to have materials posted in a timely manner as well as assignments returned.  At an absolute minimum, these are reasonable requests, even for a professor who is overwhelmed.

For example, I know that I was livid when, several weeks into the semester, one student finally mentioned that no materials were on the CMS.  I had put the materials there and they were visible to me, but somehow I had missed toggling a hidden switch to make the materials visible to the students.  Yeah, no wonder the class was rated as extremely hard and I was brought before a committee to explain myself.  If someone had mentioned the first week that the materials weren't visible to students, then everyone would have been better off.

I, also, have somehow managed to carry around graded materials for three weeks without returning them, despite having the materials with me in class and fully intending to return them.  People showed up early, I got distracted answering questions and then going on to class activities, and so the materials stayed with me long after I had graded them.  An inquiry by a student would have prompted me to return those graded assignments much more quickly.

Please speak up!  Waiting to fill out an evaluation at the end of the course or just plain dropping doesn't help people who need a nudge or at least need information about how the course is going from the student view, especially from a student who is making a solid effort.

wet_blanket:
**Just a grad student; grain of salt; etc**

What's the relationship like between your school and the CC?  I can imagine an instructor at the CC, or even the chair, taking any attempt you make to provide constructive criticism as an example of your four year school with grad programs thinking your better than the lowly CC.  Even if the CC doesn't have that particular chip on its shoulder, I can't imagine the instructor being receptive to one of her students attempting to mentor her.  

I absolutely would not try to mentor her or frame it as "what needs to happen for the course to succeed."  Your desire for timely postings of material and return of homework is completely reasonable, so request those things and frame it as what needs to happen for you, as a student, to succeed.  Certainly talking to the chair is an option if that doesn't work, but again, stick to the role of dissatisfied student.

prytania3:
Quote from: wet_blanket on February 07, 2013,  9:00:47 AM

**Just a grad student; grain of salt; etc**

What's the relationship like between your school and the CC?  I can imagine an instructor at the CC, or even the chair, taking any attempt you make to provide constructive criticism as an example of your four year school with grad programs thinking your better than the lowly CC.  Even if the CC doesn't have that particular chip on its shoulder, I can't imagine the instructor being receptive to one of her students attempting to mentor her.  

I absolutely would not try to mentor her or frame it as "what needs to happen for the course to succeed."  Your desire for timely postings of material and return of homework is completely reasonable, so request those things and frame it as what needs to happen for you, as a student, to succeed.  Certainly talking to the chair is an option if that doesn't work, but again, stick to the role of dissatisfied student.

I'm with Blanket.

francie_:
Field_mouse, I'm sorry about this of a course, and you should probably drop to save your time and sanity.  But, I kinda hope you do stick it out, if only as an real-time experiment in bringing the "Power of WWtFD" as a rescue/intervention strategy to this apparently hapless instructor.

Best wishes!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page