• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
  Print  
Author Topic: On The Edwin Mellen Press  (Read 61881 times)
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a
Distinguished Senior Member

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2012, 2:50:37 PM »

Doesn't being a DSM and moderator give you a private line to the White House? Possibly on a big red phone.

I've heard that they actually know Santa.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2012, 6:24:59 PM »

Doesn't being a DSM and moderator give you a private line to the White House? Possibly on a big red phone.

I've heard that they We actually know Santa.

Fixed that for us.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2012, 8:10:44 PM »

What Scholars Say . . .

I have published five books with Mellen over my career.  I choose them repeatedly because of their reliability and forthrightness in dealing with authors.  Their contracts are always fully clear; they maintain a full brief on all ongoing research; and they are commendably flexible over deadlines. 

I have also peer-reviewed a number of texts for The Edwin Mellen Press and am impressed with their standards which seem more demanding than other publishing houses.  For instance, as well as requiring independent peer review, The Edwin Mellen Press has for many years refused to accept a manuscript unless it is recommended by three established scholars, one of whom supplies the Preface to the book. (It is a condition of publication that this process take place prior to formal peer review.)

In my case scholars have proved very willing to submit material in support of my publications, which were the major justification for my being awarded a personal chair in Bristol in 2002.  I certainly would stand lower within my institution without Mellen's support, and I have remained grateful and indebted to them since first being promoted senior lecturer in 1993.

Prof. John Parkin
University of Bristol

This was our last serious post to the thread (not counting TimidLibrarian's query).  Just a reminder.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2012, 9:54:26 PM »

What Scholars Say . . .

I have published five books with Mellen over my career.  I choose them repeatedly because of their reliability and forthrightness in dealing with authors.  Their contracts are always fully clear; they maintain a full brief on all ongoing research; and they are commendably flexible over deadlines. 

I have also peer-reviewed a number of texts for The Edwin Mellen Press and am impressed with their standards which seem more demanding than other publishing houses.  For instance, as well as requiring independent peer review, The Edwin Mellen Press has for many years refused to accept a manuscript unless it is recommended by three established scholars, one of whom supplies the Preface to the book. (It is a condition of publication that this process take place prior to formal peer review.)

In my case scholars have proved very willing to submit material in support of my publications, which were the major justification for my being awarded a personal chair in Bristol in 2002.  I certainly would stand lower within my institution without Mellen's support, and I have remained grateful and indebted to them since first being promoted senior lecturer in 1993.

Prof. John Parkin
University of Bristol

This was our last serious post to the thread (not counting TimidLibrarian's query).  Just a reminder.

I'm not sure I'd call that serious...  But I expect that they will return, in their attempted seriousity.

tenured_feminist

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2013, 8:03:29 AM »

It is true that the press has a bad reputation. Its representatives' contributions to this thread are not helping matters. If Mellen wants to improve its reputation, it must take steps to improve the editing of the books it publishes, bolster its peer-review process, and acquaint itself better with the norms and expectations of high quality academic publishing.

A press's reputation is not made by the fluffiness of the souffle of hyperboles written about the books it publishes.

Mellen does a disservice to inexperienced or poorly mentored graduate students and beginning academics when it holds itself out as a press on par with a second-tier university press. It is not that, and people who publish with it under that expectation have been badly misled in ways that are likely to do long-term damage to their careers. End of story.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »

Please see our continuation of this discussion here:  http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,122855.0.html

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
kaysixteen

« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2013, 4:31:11 PM »

So grad school professors do tell their students where to and not to publish within their respective fields, right?
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2013, 5:22:04 PM »

So grad school professors do tell their students where to and not to publish within their respective fields, right?

It's more of a discussion, but yes.  There is a class of junk journals and junk to weak conferences in which I'd not let my students publish.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
  Print  

Jump to: