• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:29:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 196
  Print  
Author Topic: The Whining Thread  (Read 268431 times)
greyscale
Monochromatic
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1545 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »

I have a bad cold. It knocked me out all week. I stayed home from work.

I really want to go out and get some exercise, and there's a yoga class in an hour and I'm wearing my yoga clothes and it's just down the street. I feel pretty good and I think I'm no longer contagious. But. My sinuses are full, my throat keeps filling with goo, and I'm getting the hacking cough that usually follows a cold for me (and usually turns into bronchitis and lasts a month). Should I stay or should I go?

(Edit: not that I need you all to diagnose me - I'm just bogged down in indecision. Coin toss time.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:49:55 PM by greyscale » Logged
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #1546 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »

I have a bad cold. It knocked me out all week. I stayed home from work.

I really want to go out and get some exercise, and there's a yoga class in an hour and I'm wearing my yoga clothes and it's just down the street. I feel pretty good and I think I'm no longer contagious. But. My sinuses are full, my throat keeps filling with goo, and I'm getting the hacking cough that usually follows a cold for me (and usually turns into bronchitis and lasts a month). Should I stay or should I go?

Nope.  You need to stay home and rest up.  Make another deposit in the bank of good health.  (Try standing in the bathroom for 15 minutes with a hot shower on).

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #1547 on: December 21, 2012, 5:10:08 AM »

I actually made it to yoga and it turned out surprisingly well. It was relaxing and slow-paced and I coughed no more than the rest of the class (everyone's sick, I guess).

Now I have a gym membership (climbing + yoga) and I've found a yoga class that is, if anything, easier than the beginner class I used to take. And, although I now live in one of the hippie-est towns in the country, the yoga teacher was not too woo-woo for my taste.

Today's my last day of slacking due to illness. Tomorrow, back to science. I have a job talk to write and an application to submit. Ugh.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #1548 on: December 21, 2012, 8:34:12 AM »

My python package won't install, even after I bootstrapped myself up to a new gcc compiler, installed a modern version of python, and tried multiple versions of my python package hoping that an older one would match my architecture.  I'm going to have to hack the files myself.

Stupid 8 year-old computer with a stupid hard drive crash.  Stupid me for not having a full system backup that is even just six months old.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #1549 on: December 21, 2012, 9:30:36 AM »

My python package won't install, even after I bootstrapped myself up to a new gcc compiler, installed a modern version of python, and tried multiple versions of my python package hoping that an older one would match my architecture.  I'm going to have to hack the files myself.

Stupid 8 year-old computer with a stupid hard drive crash.  Stupid me for not having a full system backup that is even just six months old.

VM time?  I had to do that for Python.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #1550 on: December 21, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »

VM time?  I had to do that for Python.

The Python installation itself works just fine.  The problem is that I prefer to have both the NumPy and Numeric packages for the work I'm doing.  I could be fine if I can get at least one of them to install.  Unfortunately, both of them throw installation errors that are path problems at this point (at least I dearly hope they are path problems now that I've upgraded my Python from the one I restored from a 2005 original disk that came with my Mac).

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
kiana

« Reply #1551 on: December 21, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »

The heat in my apartment is out. It is about 40 in here and the repair shop can't get here today.

I woke up and it had been out for several hours, and I am freezing, and I am trying to pack to visit my family.

I turned the oven to 'broil' because THAT is working, but I am still freezing.

And whiny.

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #1552 on: December 25, 2012, 2:40:10 AM »

1. The word "Christmas" and the phrase "tornado outbreak" do not belong together in any universe or space-time continuum.
2. Naming winter storms is stupid.
3. Naming a winter storm Euclid is even more stupid. I prefer names like Snowpocalypse, Snowklahoma, and the like, personally.

In better news, laying in bed listening to the pounding surf, Mr. W's snoring and Mama's coughing (down the hall) is strangely lovely.  I do prefer, however, that such lovely sounds not get interrupted by tornado sirens, thankyouverymuch.

Love your neighbor.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #1553 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »

1. The word "Christmas" and the phrase "tornado outbreak" do not belong together in any universe or space-time continuum.
3. Naming a winter storm Euclid is even more stupid. I prefer names like Snowpocalypse, Snowklahoma, and the like, personally.

In better news, laying in bed listening to the pounding surf, Mr. W's snoring and Mama's coughing (down the hall) is strangely lovely.  I do prefer, however, that such lovely sounds not get interrupted by tornado sirens, thankyouverymuch.

I hope you're all safe and tornado-free, Octo.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1554 on: December 25, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »

So far so good. The first batch of angry red blotches skirted north of us. More possible in the afternoon. I hope they skirt us, too!  Right now it's partly cloudy and the wind is very brisk from the south (straight in over the water) with the red flags out.

Love your neighbor.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #1555 on: December 25, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »

So far so good. The first batch of angry red blotches skirted north of us. More possible in the afternoon. I hope they skirt us, too!  Right now it's partly cloudy and the wind is very brisk from the south (straight in over the water) with the red flags out.

Leave OctoFamily alone, tornadoes.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #1556 on: December 25, 2012, 8:59:25 PM »

I'm glad I'm getting my snow without it also getting you, Octo! You don't need to hunt me down now!

*phew!*

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1557 on: December 25, 2012, 9:02:11 PM »

I'm glad I'm getting my snow without it also getting you, Octo! You don't need to hunt me down now!

*phew!*

I figured you were getting very happy by now. Gennidad is either sulking in the corner or playing with Genni and ignoring the weather, I imagine.

We are too busy watching the local news to see where the tornadoes are going. We are on the 10th floor of the condo.

Incredible video of the 5pm tornado in the big city west of here. Creepy.  We are still ok here, we might get some nastier stuff when the last squall line finally gets this far east.

Love your neighbor.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #1558 on: December 26, 2012, 2:10:38 PM »

Airport food.  Stuffed Portabello mushrooms seemed like a safe option.  Turns out what they're stuffed with is congealed wallpaper paste.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #1559 on: December 26, 2012, 2:30:38 PM »

Airport food.  Stuffed Portabello mushrooms seemed like a safe option.  Turns out what they're stuffed with is congealed wallpaper paste.

Eww.  Disgusting.

<whine> Still half an hour till Tim Horton's opens.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 196
  Print  

Jump to: