• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open rank search  (Read 2646 times)
tortugaphd

« on: December 21, 2012, 5:04:46 PM »

I have a question about an open rank search that is different from the thread below, so I'll start another thread.

If a department has been approved for an open rank search, does this mean that there a strong preference for a full candidate but that they are willing to hire at the associate or assistant rank if no viable full candidate emerges?  I'm approaching the end of my assistant years, and I'm wondering if this job that just became available would be worth applying to if they really want someone at the full level.
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 5:53:12 PM »

At our institution, open rank means open rank -- they're more interested in the person and the field, than the experience.  If you're really good and are a good fit, we're telling you that we can tenure you at hire.  If you're a newbee but look like a good fit, we can bring you in at the assistant level.  These positions are slightly more competitive, because you're not just competing against freshly minted Ph.Ds.  But if you're a good match for the job description, go for it.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 6:43:01 PM »

Ditto at my school.  We're interested in getting the best prof we can attract, at whatever level.  So is our administration, if in fact they've approved an open-rank search.  We've snatched tenured faculty from others schools, sure, but we've also taken newly-minted Ph.D.'s in open-rank searches.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
janewales

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 7:01:51 PM »

When we've done this, we have hoped to snag a full, but we've been aware of how hard it can be to pry the sort of senior person we'd like loose from his/ her current berth; the open option allows us to consider promising mid-career people and beginners too.
tortugaphd

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »

Thanks for weighing in!
prof52

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:22 AM »

This issue has come up recently for us. I think we'd actually prefer an associate professor, given how hard it is to move full professors, especially those with school-aged kids.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: