• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 1:40:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Rock, Arkansas  (Read 2965 times)
britmom
I'm a grant getting
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: December 03, 2012, 9:47:04 AM »

I'm planning to travel from the UK to Little Rock in June 2013 to do some research at the University of Arkansas and the State Archives. Can anyone suggest good, safe (and preferably inexpensive) places to stay? I'm guessing I will need to hire a car? (I would much rather I didn't have to. I'm not the most confident driver, have no sense of direction, and I've never driven in the States on my own before.)

From looking at the map, some where along I-630 would seem to make sense, but a search on Expedia only turns up two hotels around the Medical Center. Reviews suggest this is not a great area of town.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 1:07:05 PM »

You do realize the University of Arkansas is nowhere near Little Rock, don't you?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 1:42:36 PM »

You do realize the University of Arkansas is nowhere near Little Rock, don't you?

There is a branch there, actually, and the library website shows it has some fairly interesting archival material and special collections. Who knew?

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
antiphon1

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 2:57:25 PM »

There is a branch there, actually, and the library website shows it has some fairly interesting archival material and special collections. Who knew?

UALR and the Arkansas State Archive are in Little Rock.  However, the main University of Arkansas campus is in Fayetteville, and the library in Fayetteville also has some archival state records.  Best to clarify which campus before making plans.

That said, the neighborhood near UALR and the Arkansas State Capital complex is generally pretty safe.  I'd suggest contacting the UALR library, the State Archives and/or the UALR visitors' center for lodging recommendations. 
betterslac

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 1:38:11 AM »

UALR and the Arkansas State Archive are in Little Rock.  However, the main University of Arkansas campus is in Fayetteville, and the library in Fayetteville also has some archival state records.  Best to clarify which campus before making plans.

That said, the neighborhood near UALR and the Arkansas State Capital complex is generally pretty safe.  I'd suggest contacting the UALR library, the State Archives and/or the UALR visitors' center for lodging recommendations. 

+1 to all this, including clarifying which library. Also the Clinton library is in Little Rock, which might be useful if what you are doing is political history.

My impression is that mass transit in Little Rock, while it exists, is nothing special (here is the website: http://www.cat.org/)

However, if you stay close to the UALR campus and the archives, maybe you could get away with only renting a car on occasion. On that note, check to see if UALR has any visiting scholar facilities, or maybe the opportunity to stay in a dorm. The regular semester will be over, but summer school should be in session, so it might be a possibility.

While you are there, take the opportunity to see some of the sites, both scenic and otherwise. Petit Jean State Park (on a mountain and the site of Winthrop Rockefeller's model farm and antique car collection), the Ozark mountains (which are really, really beautiful) and Hot Springs, the home away from home for 30's gangsters, are all about an hour away in various directions. Fayetteville is about three hours away, but a really lovely drive (you can go the long way, interstate all the way, or take I-40 to 71 and a curvy drive to Fayetteville, or take the Pig Trail (Highway 7, I believe) almost all the way from Little Rock (it is very curvy but very beautiful). Eureka Springs is also in the same vicinity as Fayetteville, but closer to Little Rock. Here is one website for attractions: http://www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/mustsee/

There are some really kitschy and crappy tourist attractions around (as throughout that area of the south) but also some very interesting and beautiful areas.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 1:30:11 PM »

Rent a car so you can go to the Diamond Mine.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
miss_jane_marple
Confused Wasp and

I prefer the chocolates

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 1:16:59 PM »

I'm planning to travel from the UK to Little Rock in June 2013 to do some research at the University of Arkansas and the State Archives.

Hey, I just found this post! Are you still coming? How long will you be in LR? Are you staying at the Hilton (I hope)? Do you need more information about anything? PM me, if you'd like.

We love diversity--as long as it's not diversity of opinion.
dr_starbucks

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 1:26:31 PM »

A nice gem in LR, especially in the spring time (http://www.northlittlerock.org/entries.aspx?id=233).  This was featured in the opening credits of Gone with the Wind.

formerly Lukeurig
melopene

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 3:01:56 AM »

Yes, you will most likely need a car if you are going to be at both UALR and the Arkansas Studies Institute. I live approximately an equal distance between both, and I can happily recommend hotels. UALR is not in the most fantastic part of town, I will admit, but if you want to stay downtown you'll end up paying quite a bit.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help in sorting out a place to stay!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: