• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 1:37:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing family holiday traditions... [How to?]  (Read 6580 times)
amlithist
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 9:45:54 AM »

I'm so glad it's working out, Octo. You're allowed to bawl! You need to cry now and then with everything you have on your plate.

Hugs.

Of course, Mr. W. just kept hugging me an apologizing for having cancer...

My mom does that, too.

I'm glad it's working out, Octo - and for what it's worth, these days many threads on the fora are bawling threads for me.

At least I only bawled in the car and at home and not in the meeting I was chairing or the other meeting the dean was running or any other rather inconvenient time/place.

But if you do end up bawling in those places, don't feel bad.  God knows I did it often enough, in enough inappropriate settings....and people get it.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 3:58:36 PM »

Octo, you are so allowed to bawl your eyes out.

I am glad the Christmas issue has been worked out, though.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »

So, we had  the family Christmas dinner at eldest sister's home. We were a bit crowded. It it was good, no one was particularly cranky, and those who'd been sick had rallied (1.5 days later the three of us still have no new symptoms, so that is good). It was nice, for the first time in my adult life to just walk away and drive Mr. W. and Mama and Franz home to Mama's house and not spend a day and a half cleaning up (although I did go two prior days and help decorate and clean). And, everyone (17) was there for the first time in some years, perhaps since Dad's death.

Another new tradition is no pressies except for the smalls (Mama's great grandchildren) or small gifts that fit in the stockings. I like this! One of my sisters gave me a small framed beautiful photo of Mama.

I held my youngest great nephew for the first time. He found me comfy and slept a very long time in my arms/on my chest.

All is good. I also think eldest sister will now prod middle sister to take a turn next year.

Love your neighbor.
amlithist

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »

Sounds like you had an enjoyable celebration with the family, Octo--so glad it all worked out!  (I'm also hoping you and all your kin are safe, after watching the Weather Channel today!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: