• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs for acute depression  (Read 20035 times)
mountainguy
The no longer carbonated
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 6:24:00 PM »

Thinking good thoughts for you, Frogfactory.

I'm not an expert on the exact scientific details, but I've heard that some people respond better to the older tricyclic class antidepressants. I was on amitriptyline for a while last year, and the effects felt noticeably different to me than SSRIs.

Given the lack of sleep, have you looked into prescription sleep aids? It's a short-term solution, but better than tossing and turning all night.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »

If Froggie is feeling that desperate or suicidal, she really should think about taking the rest cure. Silver Hill in New Canaan, CT is where a lot of the rich and famous go, but I think it's covered by insurance.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

Thanks, Pry.  I've been a lot more functional since yesterday.  I doubt it's the escitalopram working already - maybe more the beginnings of a sense of agency from actually getting to the doctor and making a plan for recovery.  Although, while it's probably going to take a couple of weeks for my brain to notice, the serotonergic neurons of my enteric nervous system have definitely been paying attention.  Bleh :p

I slept for about six hours last night, on and off, which is normal for me.  I'm just hoping being relatively rested today doesn't mean I don't sleep tonight.  That does sometimes happen.  I have, at least, been eating two meals a day.  Last week I think I picked at a small packet of sandwich ham a little every day and that was all I had over three days apart from tea.  Starting eating again wasn't easy, but I feel a bit more normal now I'm doing it.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »

Good, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
rose_fingered_dawn

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »

Thanks, Pry.  I've been a lot more functional since yesterday.  I doubt it's the escitalopram working already - maybe more the beginnings of a sense of agency from actually getting to the doctor and making a plan for recovery.  Although, while it's probably going to take a couple of weeks for my brain to notice, the serotonergic neurons of my enteric nervous system have definitely been paying attention.  Bleh :p

I slept for about six hours last night, on and off, which is normal for me.  I'm just hoping being relatively rested today doesn't mean I don't sleep tonight.  That does sometimes happen.  I have, at least, been eating two meals a day.  Last week I think I picked at a small packet of sandwich ham a little every day and that was all I had over three days apart from tea.  Starting eating again wasn't easy, but I feel a bit more normal now I'm doing it.

Glad to read you're feeling better! Stay strong! :)
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 9:53:42 PM »

I slept for about six hours last night, on and off, which is normal for me. 

This is a lot better than not sleeping at all, but it doesn't sound ideal.  I'm sure you know this, but interrupted sleep ("on and off") is not really restful in any meaningful way.  Is this something you could work on, with sleep-aids of some sort?  That in itself could be a really significant boost.

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 9:56:38 PM »

I think I could probably count the number of nights I've slept through the night since I was about eight years old on my fingers, apart from times when I've just been dead drunk (not frequent).  It's just my sleeping pattern - I'm a light sleeper and I have vivid dreams.  I'm not sure it's pathological.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »

Fair enough.  If this is your normal sleeping pattern, then so be it.

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: