• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:20:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Brigham Young?  (Read 39000 times)
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am
Distinguished Senior Member

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 1:37:58 PM »

OP,  here's another thought to consider:  Is there a Baha'i community anywhere nearby, or will you (and your partner) be isolated in your faith?  I know that would be a deal-breaker for many people.

Also, given that Baha'i is (to my understanding) not a proselytizing faith, are you (and your partner) really ready to move into an area where you are likely to face frequent proselytizing? 

Of course, as The Fiona wisely pointed out, this is all hypothetical until you have an offer.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 6:07:03 PM »

Not that I particularly care, but since it came up on a different recent thread and I'm a diligent student in my reading, BYU still appears on the AAUP Censure List for things from 1998.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
lds_question

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 6:13:09 PM »

Hi all, just chiming in to thank you for your thoughts.  It would be a "continuing faculty" job, but LDS standards are close enough to various Baha'i rules (not the coffee part, but the alcohol/chastity parts) that we could live with it.  Spouse is Catholic; we're both pretty low-key about religion and the smallness of the Baha'i community in Provo is offset by being within driving distance of family/community in SoCal, and being in a place where people would instinctively support young faculty families.

Mine wasn't a "should I AFTDJ" question (yep, I will), but rather a "how do I pitch my application" question -- though I'm still grateful for any and all input from all sides.  I just remembered a colleague who is also on the market has her BA/MA from BYU (and is otherwise wonderful and well-qualified for the post), so I'm not holding my breath, but no harm in applying.  I should point out that everyone in this department is academically quite strong, so I never meant to suggest that BYU doesn't hire very good people -- however, my sense is that the (humanities in this case) market is flooded with excellent candidates, and if they can find someone LDS, they will.  But of course, it never hurts to fill out an online application and upload my cv, so I will.

Thanks again, everyone.

ljack

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »

You already know that your own department has tenured no one who is not LDS.  Is there anyone at the entire school who is tenured who is not LDS? 

I'm in a STEM field and can name a few that I know at BYU in STEM who aren't LDS but are tenured.  I'm no help on the humanities front though.  Here's an article about a Catholic tenured chem professor (who is married to an LDS chem professor, FWIW). http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705257752/BYU-professor-stays-strong-in-Catholic-faith.html

Perhaps a minor consideration, but I happen to have heard from someone I recently met at a conference that BYU is unusually open to spouse offers and/or finding a staff (or other non-PhD) position for a spouse, if this is any consideration in your situation.

I'm associated with BYU and I'd concur with this statement.  I know of a few and I'm sure there are others.

althea

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 7:46:51 AM »

I had two rules on the market: no signing of codes of conduct and no South Dakota. I would be willing to reconsider South Dakota, but not the code of conduct governing my sex life, as long as I keep it off campus and out of the campus population.

concordancia, could you tell me  why didn't you want to go to South Dakota? I've been considering an offer from a school there.

I just finished a job on South Dakota. I wouldn't go back to this particular university or this particular area. 
losemygrip
Not Very

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 8:28:51 PM »

You might put a sentence in your cover letter such as, "I would look forward to working at an institution such as BYU.  While I myself am not a member of the CJCLDS, I grew up with many friends involved in the faith, and respect its traditions and values, many of which I share."

That kind of sums up your attitude, right?  I would not mention Bahai'i.  At all.
concordancia

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 9:34:18 PM »

You might put a sentence in your cover letter such as, "I would look forward to working at an institution such as BYU.  While I myself am not a member of the CJCLDS, I grew up with many friends involved in the faith, and respect its traditions and values, many of which I share."

That kind of sums up your attitude, right?  I would not mention Bahai'i.  At all.

Ahhh, yes, "some of my best friends are XXXX" always comes across soooooo well.

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
carebearstare
Pinging

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »

OP, a very close friend of mine is a professor at BYU. I'm happy to give you some scoop if you want to PM me.

Well, some posters were being naughty here.
alleyoxenfree

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 1:15:17 AM »

OP is going to have to share - or act as though he shares - ALL of its traditions and values.  At work, off-campus, and at home.
2clueless
How did I become a

In the classroom, with the red pen

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 1:48:18 AM »

Not that I particularly care, but since it came up on a different recent thread and I'm a diligent student in my reading, BYU still appears on the AAUP Censure List for things from 1998.

I found that report chilling. Fascinating, but chilling.

Sometimes I can't sleep
I can't keep all these feelings at bay
I am rage, I am sorrow and grief
All alone in my way.

- Ferron, "Stand Up," Phantom Center
egilson

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 7:28:25 AM »

I found that report chilling. Fascinating, but chilling.

I found it that way as well. There are two schools whose ads I will not even read: one is BYU, and the other is the Catholic University of America (for its "Marriage Law Project"). There are other institutions on which I would pass after reading their mission statement and personnel policies, but in those specific cases I would not even go that far.

Besides, I'm obviously not a good fit for BYU, since both my partner and I have beards.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 2:32:48 PM »

I could not give up coffee. Everything else is negotiable.

I never thought I could give up coffee either; then, I discovered Red Bull. BYU code doesn't say a thing about Red Bull.

But hey, stick with coffee. Red Bull is like crack in a can at cocaine prices.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
ex_mo

Peddler of backroom smut.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 2:44:19 PM »

New tag line! 

I used to drink Red Bull until I literally felt my heart skip a beat while drinking it.  Psychosomatic?  Maybe.  But it was enough. /derail.

concordancia

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 6:58:54 PM »

I never thought I could give up coffee either; then, I discovered Red Bull. BYU code doesn't say a thing about Red Bull.

See, this is where it all gets confusing. Does BYU stick by the strictest interpretation (which should rule out hot chocolate!) or the widest interpretation, wherein all caffeinated beverages are avoided.

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 7:07:39 PM »

See, this is where it all gets confusing. Does BYU stick by the strictest interpretation (which should rule out hot chocolate!) or the widest interpretation, wherein all caffeinated beverages are avoided.

It's actually about the temperature of the liquid, according to the W of W (D&C 89). "And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly." So, under that prohibition, hot chocolate would also be verboten.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: