Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

(1/2495) > >>

rowan1:
Yes we have the favorite conversations and favorite emails and even the worse student sentences thread - but I thought I would pause for a moment, after wiping the blood off my desk and head to reach out to others who surely feel as I do at times that the light bulbs will never never never go on.

To my dear sweet YOUNG students - you have to read beyond the text!  You have to be able to imagine the world of the characters.  You have to be able to see the subtext.  these questions are designed to help you with that, and no, choosing to not answer them because "I didn't see anything in the script that told me what she wanted" does not work!  The whole entire play is about what she wants!  For gosh sakes - it is a freaking Neil Simon play - it ain't that deep!  What are you going to do with your final when we are working on "deep" plays?

Thank you, I will now return to grading these incredibly perceptive character analysis and try not to give myself a concussion.

dr_evil:
Quote from: rowan1 on October 06, 2009, 11:17:29 AM

To my dear sweet YOUNG students - you have to read beyond the text! 

I'd be happy if they'd simply READ THE TEXT, let alone beyond it.  I can't count the number of people who didn't properly (if at all) read the lab procedure last week.  As for the lecture text, I think they use it as a doorstop.  I've already been given comments about how I "didn't tell them <something clearly explained in text>."  *SIGH*

cranefly:
Ah, I had a student write a flaming email to the class (via discussion board, with swearing and all) about how they shouldn't get marked on participation because I don't pose specific questions for them to discuss. My response? I do pose specific questions--in the lectures each week. Hus response? "Oh, well, I've been too busy".

phlegmatic:
I don't know if this counts as "teaching despair," but it is about teaching and is making me despair!

I have major student problems in every class. I mean, each class has major problem students. Each class isn't a problem, but particular students in each class have major problems. One class has cheaters and 13th graders, another has students dealing with severe personal and familial issues, and one student in particular I have spent all morning and will spend all afternoon dealing with--because of HIS behavior! (A male student is harassing female students who are in the class.)

This is NOT what I signed up for. And it's not fair to other students or myself that these problem students are taking up so much of my time. And...why do I have so many problem students?!?

csgirl:
I would be happy if my students would just BUY the textbook (or otherwise acquire it). Seriously. I am teaching this horror class - Microsoft applications - and the textbook is a "click along with the book" type text. About the only thing I can do with this course is have the students click along - IF the students had the books. But only half the class has bought the book. When I try to have the students do the book's exercises, the half without a book simply sit and stare. I really don't know what to do with this class. I can stand in the front and click through the book, and let the students watch me  - indeed, that is what I did do for the first 4 weeks. But it was clear that the students were bored beyond tears and learning nothing.  So I try to demo some things and then have the students do the exercises, but it doesn't work when no one has the book. I can't photocopy the pages because the exercises are very detailed and go on for many pages displaying every single last dialog box.  How do I make students buy the book?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page