New student excuse--insights?

(1/15) > >>

mdwlark:
I have adopted the free pass system so that students can turn things in one week late, and get three passes. There is some assignment every other week.  It is working wonderfully well.  Most students are using it judiciously and it has eliminated begging and excuses.  Students who are using passes are avoiding dragging out late assignments beyond one week.  In two classes, I have had 10 students use one pass so far to turn something in one week late, and all of those students are getting everything else in on time.  I also have a built in forgiveness factor on attendance, so that they can miss three sessions without penalty.  It is a twice a week class.  This is a community college and many students work and have families, and many are first generation college students.  

One student checked into the class on the last day for adding classes, which was one week into the semester.  She then missed the next session, the day after she added the class. Therefore she started class on the fourth session, with three misses already in place.  She then missed the first short paper, due in the second session that she attended, fifth session of class.  She said I need to give her extra time on the paper, because she started the class late.  I explained she could use a pass for an extra week, but no paper arrived.  Now she has missed two more classes this week and she didn't turn in the assignment for this past week.  This is the third assignment and she has turned in one out of three.  I assumed she was going to fade into the sunset.  But she sent an email announcing the death of a grandparent, which is what the passes are intended for.  Her argument is that she can't be held accountable for the first two missed sessions, (actually in her mind she is including the third miss) because she hadn't checked into the class yet, so she is supposed to get three more misses on top of those.  She also claims I  should have given her ample extra time on the first paper, (it is now five weeks late) since she checked into class late, and I HAVE to give her more time to catch up.  I'm not budging on the paper, because it was due 5 weeks ago and she doesn't get that many passes, but she can use a pass to turn in the missed assignment this past week.  She could still pass with the paper missing, if everything else comes in and she doesn't lose too many participation points. My feeling is she used up her excused absences by not checking into class in time and doesn't get extras for the deceased grandparent.  

So what is your policy on students who check into class a week late?  Do you give them extra time, or are they required to turn the first assignment in with the other students?  And what about calculating participation points for attendance on a student who checks in late?  My first thought is to hang tough on my policy, which I think is generous and flexible, and adapts to our population while encouraging some self-discipline.  

prytania3:
I give students who check in late hell unless it was some kind of snafu on the college's part.

Whose choice was it to start the class a week late?

I do NOTHING to help them catch up. I tell them everything's on Blackboard--figure it out.

kiana:
I have a quiz and homework every week, including the first one.

I do let them turn in the homework late when they add late, because a) it doesn't count for squat and b) it's math, so homework 2 is undoable without doing/understanding homework 1.

I don't do make-up quizzes for any reason. There are drops and if they use up one drop because they added late, that is Not My Problem.

I think your policy is entirely reasonable.

octoprof:
Quote from: prytania3 on March 02, 2013, 10:54:56 PM

I give students who check in late hell unless it was some kind of snafu on the college's part.

I do NOTHING to help them catch up. I tell them everything's on Blackboard--figure it out.

I am with Pry.

fiona:
Quote from: octoprof on March 02, 2013, 11:07:51 PM

Quote from: prytania3 on March 02, 2013, 10:54:56 PM

I am with Pry.

I agree with Pry. Otherwise you're fretting over the assignments more than the student is. Let the student have the responsibility.

The Fiona

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page