• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 522
  Print  
Author Topic: the "things you wish could say" thread  (Read 726455 times)
quix_h

« Reply #3105 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

Dear dean, "Long letter to colleagues" is not the optimal file name.
macaroon
Distinguished Senior Member

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #3106 on: December 12, 2012, 6:00:04 PM »

You want our next hire to be in a field that will raise the profile of our university?  Well, what do you think of Sasquatches, Zombies, or Ancient Aliens? 

That'll work.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #3107 on: December 12, 2012, 6:07:41 PM »

Oy.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #3108 on: December 12, 2012, 6:09:42 PM »

Oy.

An example of forgetting to change titles before emailing, I think. I did that recently but I totally got away with it because I hadn't included a word that would've made the meaning obvious.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3109 on: December 12, 2012, 7:35:48 PM »

You want our next hire to be in a field that will raise the profile of our university?  Well, what do you think of Sasquatches, Zombies, or Ancient Aliens? 

That'll work.

Is it that guy with the ever-larger-growing hair?  BalefulTeen and I are fascinated with his crazy hair.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
dr_prephd

« Reply #3110 on: December 12, 2012, 9:27:17 PM »

Congratulations. In your attempt to point out the unprofessional nature of every single one of your colleagues, you have just made yourself look like the most unprofessional ass of all time.

macaroon

« Reply #3111 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:14 PM »

That'll work.

Is it that guy with the ever-larger-growing hair?  BalefulTeen and I are fascinated with his crazy hair.

All I know is Finding Bigfoot came to one of the state parks where I go running, and one of the researchers declared it to be "Squatchy as Hell".  This means our university would be an ideal home base for a Squatch-based research program involving undergraduates.  Should I say this in faculty meeting when we discuss position requests for next year? 
dr_prephd

« Reply #3112 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »

That'll work.

All I know is Finding Bigfoot came to one of the state parks where I go running, and one of the researchers declared it to be "Squatchy as Hell".  This means our university would be an ideal home base for a Squatch-based research program involving undergraduates.  Should I say this in faculty meeting when we discuss position requests for next year? 

Yes.

baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3113 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »

That'll work.

Yes.

I concur, if only for the opportunity to use "Squatchy" and "Squatch" as an adjective and noun. Perhaps a verb as well.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
isotope
A Ronnie James Dio Approved

I am a #$%&! delight.

« Reply #3114 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:03 PM »

When somebody does something nice for you during the holiday season, you should bring them cookies.  I'm just saying. 

"I dunno, Dr. Isotope.  All your music sounds like something off of guitar hero, expert level." -- student
dr_prephd

« Reply #3115 on: December 12, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »

I concur, if only for the opportunity to use "Squatchy" and "Squatch" as an adjective and noun. Perhaps a verb as well.

Agreed. Watchers of The Trailer Park Boys will appreciate the derivative term: "Samsquantch."

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:26:14 PM by dr_prephd » Logged

macaroon

« Reply #3116 on: December 13, 2012, 8:38:27 AM »

Agreed. Watchers of The Trailer Park Boys will appreciate the derivative term: "Samsquantch."

I am reasonably certain that of I made that joke, I would be the only one laughing.
theritas

« Reply #3117 on: December 13, 2012, 9:24:43 AM »

I can't believe that you expected me to know that person by using their nickname, and then when I asked for clarification you gave me his last initial.  The last time it was okay to refer to a student by first name and last initial was kindergarten.  I have two students with identical names in back to back classes, and several with the first name you used. 

Also, I'm not an appropriate choice for the meeting you invited me to anyway.  If you really care about the results of importance here, you should start making choices like a professional, and backing it up with some real professionalism.  What a discredit to your field.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #3118 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

No, it's NOT OK. You don't get to arrange to meet me at a certain time, then tell me ten minutes *after* we have arranged to meet that, actually, you want go and do something else first and you'll be here three hours later. Three HOURS. If I'd have known I would have stayed at home, and if I hadn't stayed at home I'd have done those things I really needed to do this morning but didn't because I had arranged to meet you.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
dr_alcott

« Reply #3119 on: December 13, 2012, 5:40:47 PM »

I appreciate the holiday cards. I do. But my husband and I still do not have the same last name. And if you're going to insist on addressing me by my husband's name, you could at least spell it correctly. We've been together for 17 years. You should know this by now.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 522
  Print  

Jump to: