• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:09:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview-to-Campus-Invite Turnaround Time?  (Read 1160 times)
dr_freakout

« on: December 12, 2012, 1:34:40 PM »

Now that I'm feeling OK about interviews, I can move on to freaking out about campus visits.  

About how much time normally elapses between a first-round interview and a campus invite -- or is it just so variable that obsessing is pointless?  

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 1:35:02 PM by dr_freakout » Logged
egilson
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 1:48:53 PM »

At both of my interviews, I was told that the list of candidates invited to campus would be drawn up in mid-January at the first faculty meeting of the new semester. I have no idea if that's common, of course, but it seems like a reasonable way to do it for schools who are interviewing now.
scampster

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 1:50:29 PM »

My campus invites have come anywhere between 6 hours and 6 months after my phone/Skype interview.

You can't know, so don't obsess about it.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 1:54:42 PM »

At both of my interviews, I was told that the list of candidates invited to campus would be drawn up in mid-January at the first faculty meeting of the new semester. I have no idea if that's common, of course, but it seems like a reasonable way to do it for schools who are interviewing now.

I've not been on the TT job market, to be fair, but from my extensive reading of the fora, I've learned that "reasonable" is not a measure on which anyone on either side of the interview table agrees.

As for so many things in academia, OP, it depends.

On preview: write scamp's last sentence on your forehead.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 4:40:03 PM »

I concur that there's so much variability that it's hard to generalize. My campus invitation for the job I have now came about an hour after my phone interview. For the search committee I'm on now, we're in the middle of a 2.5 week span of conducting interviews. If we end up inviting one of the candidates that we interviewed first and if the dean is able to quickly give us permission to issue those invitations, then that candidate will have had a wait of about 2.5 weeks. If we aren't able to get approval until after business resumes for the spring semester, it will have been a wait of over a month. Keep in mind that this is the exact same institution and department that called me to bring me to campus within about an hour of my own interview.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
shiraz

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 7:04:32 PM »

In my experience, MLA->campus invitation was anywhere from a few days to about a month after the conference.  I  had only one Skype->campus, and I think it took the university maybe 2 weeks to extend an invitation. 
academic_cog

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 7:12:51 PM »

Now that I'm feeling OK about interviews, I can move on to freaking out about campus visits.  

Cute! You are so logical and orderly in your freaking-out-complete-loss-of-control!

I have no other advice for you. Except maybe get a beer? Or go learn to brew your own, since you're going to need a hobby for all the time on your hands.

Duct tape is so often the solution. I'm Team Academic_Cog.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 7:56:45 PM »

Okay, now I'm really going to mess with you: both of my campus interviews that led to jobs I actually took came without a preliminary phone interview.

Otherwise, yeah--at this time of year, there's no way to know. A few SCs may manage to get invitations issued before they leave for break, with campus interviews in late January. Even more may get their own decisions made, but won't get the go-ahead to schedule until early January, with visits in early February. And some won't even vote until mid-January when they're back on campus, and then visits will string on through February and perhaps even into March--where they will bump up against the interviews for positions where you actually didn't even apply until February 1.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 2:29:29 AM »

For this time of year, I am beginning to lose hope for an invite coming from a phone interview that I had about three weeks ago which at the time I thought I more or less nailed. In the meantime I had several others, including a phone+campus pair (and I need to be doing something else while waiting for the outcome); I'd assume these last phone interviews can be followed by a campus invite, but the decision may happen to wait until January.

The only thing that I can tell you is that even though you feel better about your phone interviewing skills, in my experience campus visits do not necessarily start coming right after that realization. It may also be a random factor at play, or it may be that while you've improved your interviewing skills, you may need a couple more to really get into the pack after you've fine-tuned your skills enough. 
lucyr

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 9:59:23 PM »

It depends on the SC's schedule (if their semester ends right after phone interviews, they probably won't get together to schedule campus visits til after the holidays) and the state of the institution. At my current instittution, in previous years with more cash flow, or for specially approved searches (for instance, emergency or diversity hires), SCs could extend campus visit invitations almost immediately. But for a regular search in the current budget situation, budgeting for campus visits has to go way up the admin food chain for approval by multiple higher-ups. So it could take 1-2 months for those visits to actually get scheduled.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:00:57 PM by lucyr » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: