• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:13:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Addressing the post-doc letter  (Read 1566 times)
paxphd

« on: December 11, 2012, 1:16:59 PM »

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere; my (brief) search of the fora did not turn up a relevant response to my question. 

I am applying for an advertised (social science) post-doc offered through the Baskeatweaving Center of University X.  Materials include a cover letter in addition to everything else (dissertation chapter, course proposal, etc.). 

To whom should I address the cover letter? For faculty positions I usually go with "Dear members of the search committee" when there is no individual specified, but in this case I am not sure that's appropriate. 

Thank you, forumites!
optimisticfungus
I giggle everytime someone introduces me as Dr. So-and-So.

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 9:20:12 AM »

In my experience in the STEM field, post-doc positions are paid through grants, and those grants are tied to a specific faculty member (i.e. you are a post-doc for Dr. So-and-So). I always addressed the cover letter to the specific faculty member.

It's like trying to nail jello to a wall.

We have very vivid and exciting inside lives. Deep down inside, we are wild.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: