• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 12:04:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chair Position-Phone/Skype Interview and Potential Campus Interview Questions  (Read 1942 times)
chalktalk

argumentative

« on: December 04, 2012, 2:25:29 PM »

Hello Forumites,

I am scheduled for a phone interview for a chair position.  During the very brief scheduling conversation with the SC chair I was informed (on my prodding) that I should expect questions on leadership, collaboration, and vision and that I was going to meet the entire search committee.  The department in question is in a non-STEM field with over 12 members in the department, does not have a doctoral program, but several interdisciplinary programs and several professional terminal masters program.

I have researched the university in question as carefully as possible and read all the 16 pages (of threads) in the chair section in CHE, but still I feel that I am operating under near zero information. 

So the question is what sort of questions should I anticipate?  I find the leadership and vision thing very vague.  My understanding is that chair position is not powerful and I am not sure what vision and leadership would necessarily involve in this context.  Importantly, I donít want to go overboard and offer some high-fluff that is generally expected only at the dean/provost level.  Any suggestions on what sort of questions should I be posing to the committee would be indeed great; besides any tips for Phone/Skype interview are most welcome. 

Many thanks in advance.
leadbelly

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 3:57:02 PM »

I've been on my fair share of SC that use the phone or Skype for interviews. One of the biggest problems I've noticed of the tendency for interviewees to ramble on and on and on because (especially on the phone) they can't pick up the body language cues that their response has gone on for too long. Also, because of the lags with Skype interviews, be careful that you don't talk over another person--it is easy to do, so make sure you wait a beat before jumping in with a response.

I think I have seen a thread on phone and Skype interviews somewhere on the Forum before (maybe in the section on the interview process). But do make sure you call from a land line for a phone interview and that you clean up your background space for a Skype interview.

Try not to kill yourself thinking about what kinds of questions they are going to ask you. It sounds like you have prepared by researching the institution--leave it at that. Overthinking before the interview can make your responses seem canned.
chalktalk

argumentative

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 7:48:09 AM »

Update: I lost out on the campus interview.  It was a phone interview in the end.  I am not sure whether I rambled too much or whether I was not a good fit.  I was fairly confident that I would get a campus interview at the very least.  But my guess is that I came across as too research heavy and probably not as an administrator, maybe the SC got cold feet and felt that I might not be happy at this place.  Oh well...bummer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: