• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 1:35:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: International travel: cell/text options?  (Read 8294 times)
bookishone
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 2:15:32 PM »

I have just been researching this question in preparation for several months in London. I have a very old LG non-smart phone which I've been happy with. The young woman I spoke to at my local Verizon store said that while the iPhone 4s or 5 will work over there, my current phone can't work in Europe (she laughed a little when I brought it out) but that I could either rent a phone from Verizon here to use in the UK or I could rent one once I get there. She said that the cheapest option was to rent one there. Kudos to her that she did not press me to either buy an iPhone or to rent from Verizon!

But I have been planning to make the big switch to an iPhone very soon anyway (it's really the big switch from my currently very cheap monthly rates that gets me).

What would be better -- buy an iPhone 5 in January and take it to the UK with me and use it there? Or rent a phone in the UK and hold off on the iPhone until I start my next semester here at home, next September? If I rent, I will want to rent a smartphone because I do want to be able to use travel and mapping apps while there.

My tag line is false.
wet_blanket
Some kind of

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 2:39:34 PM »

What would be better -- buy an iPhone 5 in January and take it to the UK with me and use it there? Or rent a phone in the UK and hold off on the iPhone until I start my next semester here at home, next September? If I rent, I will want to rent a smartphone because I do want to be able to use travel and mapping apps while there.

Or a third option, buy the iPhone in the UK.  This is unlikely to be the cheapest option based on the cost of the handset itself, but maybe you'll save money by having access to a better plan.

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 3:45:54 PM »

But if you buy it in the UK, will you be limited to European carriers, or will you be able to use it in the US when you return?

Mistergolds ended up getting a burner just for text messages and otherwise relying on wireless connections for email.  FaceTime has been a wash because the time difference is so weird between here and Australia, and his schedule is so weird anyway.

Hopefully that will be better when they get to the UK. 

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
fsuhnb06

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 7:41:47 PM »

Buying a phone that you can change the SIM on is absolutely the way to go. I was in Europe for a few weeks and it was cheaper than buying the disposable and of course cheaper than using the US rates.

<a href="http://businesscreditally.com/business-credit">The Business Credit Guy</a>
bookishone

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 9:02:14 PM »

Buying a phone that you can change the SIM on is absolutely the way to go. I was in Europe for a few weeks and it was cheaper than buying the disposable and of course cheaper than using the US rates.

This is very helpful -- thanks!

My tag line is false.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: