• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 2:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Release time for directing a grad program?  (Read 11634 times)
seniorscholar
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »

I was DGS for a program with about 100 grad students, and received release of half my load (so, went from 2/2 to 1/1). While I think that the one-course release might be appropriate for a small program once it's up and running, I would not take on a new program under the circumstances you describe. The early years are likely to be particularly demanding.

You aren't under any obligation to do this if the circumstances are a recipe for disaster, whether for the program or for you.

As is so often the case, my experience has been exactly the same as janewales's.

My department, however, also has a separate MFA program of about 50 students (but more admission work to do since it's a 2 year program and so admits 25 or 30 every year, unlike the doctoral program's much smaller cohort) -- and that director has the same deal: 2/2 load reduced to 1/1, and separate secretarial support.
offthemarket
Still a

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 1:01:02 PM »

If you do it for the first year to make it a viable program, then you've created a program that is unsustainable because there isn't enough support for faculty to run it.  Moreover, you will have set the precedent that it can be run on a tiny amount of course release.

Like larryc wrote, just say no.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 1:26:55 PM »

About your promise, that was under the deal of 1.5 courses released.  If they break the deal, you are relieved of your promise.

This is exactly what you tell them. You don't have to be a diva or a squeaky wheel. You ask at the meeting, "Now the director gets a 1.5 course release, right?" When they say no, you answer "I am sorry that the administration is not committed to this project. I will not be directing the program."

For the love of all things holy, do not agree to do it for anything less, not even if they swear on a stack of Roberts Rules that things will change on down the road. If you do this even once, no one will get more course release for this task, ever. You may very well have to watch the initiative fail this time around.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
solipsisticallyyours

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »

Yeah, I can't help but think globally. What I have been trying ask in meetings, but no one seems to answer is, Doesn’t it give anyone else pause that, at this late of a date, that our university is only offering this resources for a new program right from the start?
solipsisticallyyours

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »

My apologies for the typos in my posts. Wish we could edit these things!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: