Teaching Computer Programming Online

(1/1)

cs_prof:
I invite fellow college teaches to share your experience and findings in teaching programming courses at the low-undergraduate level for CS/IT majors.
I am not going to lead this discussion, though. Hopefully, it will be self-driven.

Still to place focus on some important points, I propose to begin with the following discussion questions:

1. How is your course organized and why? How many upper-level units do you have? What is a typical week in your course?
2. What is your typical weekly assignment?
3. Do you encourage students to collaborate? How do you use online discussion and/or online collaboration tools in your class?
4. What are your typical midterm and final exams? How are they organized?
5. Do you think it is important to develop teamwork skills in students in such courses? Do you give any team programming assignments?
6. Do you offer programming projects that last longer than one week?
7. Do you introduce in your assignments any material that is lying outside computer science?

rabadia:
I have always taught programming face-to-face and our institute is starting to consider online learning. There are some IT subjects that we use blended learning (mix of face-to-face and online learning) but not programming.

My issue with teaching programming online is that I do not see the student write the program in front of me. It doesn't give me an idea which aspects of programming do they get stuck, what part do they need help or if there is any misconception that I need to correct.

In online learning, students submit to me the complete programming solution. I can only identify misconceptions they have if their program is not working unlike when I ask them solve problems face-to-face, I can immediately identify and correct their misconceptions.

azv105:
This was so intriguing, so I thought I should share here:
http://killeen.craigslist.org/lss/3363752281.html

cs_prof:
Quote from: azv105 on October 28, 2012,  9:51:15 PM

This was so intriguing, so I thought I should share here:
http://killeen.craigslist.org/lss/3363752281.html

I like this! Now I probably know what to do after I retire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index