• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:32:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just give the endorsement?  (Read 1765 times)
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« on: March 02, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »

My review: "In certain respects this is an attractive book, perhaps even an impressive one..."

The publisher's proposed endorsement by me: "An impressive book..." 

There are other instances of the same thing: my hedges and caveats are washed away, leaving a hell of a blurb.

I know this is how it works -- there's no point expecting a publisher to put anything but high praise on the back cover.  I'll be hoping for the same thing when my next one comes out next year. 

Still, should I worry at all about having this sort of thing appear on a back cover when in fact the book had some significant flaws?  I suppose it's enough that I apparently have enough stature in the field now to be a source for blurbs.

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
sinenomine

Located directly over the center of the earth

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »

The same thing happened to my dissertation director, many years ago.  He contacted the publisher (a top-tier one, by the way) and insisted that they pull the book and re-issue it without his misleadingly positive comment, which they did.  I've used it an an example in research classes ever since of the unethical use of another's words.

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »

My review: "In certain respects this is an attractive book, perhaps even an impressive one..."

The publisher's proposed endorsement by me: "An impressive book..." 

There are other instances of the same thing: my hedges and caveats are washed away, leaving a hell of a blurb.

I know this is how it works -- there's no point expecting a publisher to put anything but high praise on the back cover.  I'll be hoping for the same thing when my next one comes out next year. 

Still, should I worry at all about having this sort of thing appear on a back cover when in fact the book had some significant flaws?  I suppose it's enough that I apparently have enough stature in the field now to be a source for blurbs.

Don't let them put your name on it if you don't actually think it is an impressive book. Tell them not to use it, or provide with them with an alternative that you CAN endorse and offer to let them use that.

wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 7:13:47 AM »

Is the publisher based in the EU, Qrypt? If they are, just point them at the EU directive on Unfair Commercial Practices, which bans this sort of behaviour.

Personally, I'd just reword the review. Spending the next several years at conferences saying to people "but what I really said was..." when they buttonhole you about the blurb is not going to be fun.
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 4:06:40 PM »

I rewrote it for them: took out "an impressive book" and added something else from my review that was positive in a way I don't mind seeing in print.  It's a pretty good book -- I'm happy to support it -- but what they did one the basis of the review was poor form.

Wegie: yes, EU-based publisher -- but I don't want to burn bridges.  I love EU stuff like that, though -- I'll have to find another situation where I can give someone a hard time using that one. 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: