• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 10:07:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Windows 7 Taskbar Question  (Read 4485 times)
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY
Distinguished Senior Member

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« on: April 17, 2012, 4:30:29 PM »

This is hard to explain without a screenshot, especially since I'm not sure I'm using the best terminology, but here goes:

One of the things I really like about Windows 7 is that when you open a program whose icon is pinned to the taskbar, the icon expands into the program button on the taskbar that indicates an open application.  (Prior versions of Windows separated these functions, so you could have a Word icon pinned to the taskbar, but when you opened Word you got a separate program button to show that the application was open).

However, somehow, I must have done something unintended earlier today, because now when I open Firefox, the pinned icon remains unchanged and I'm getting a separate program button to indicate the open application, just as with earlier versions of Windows.  Does anyone know what I did and how to undo it?  Having both the pinned icon and a separate program button to indicate the open application is very annoying.

I do know when it happened:  Somehow, the pinned icon went away (I don't know how or why, I simply noticed that it was gone), so I re-pinned it.  And that's when I started getting a separate program button any time I opened Firefox. 

Ideas or suggestions, anyone?

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
burrowss

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 3:34:20 PM »

have you tried unpinning the one that is pinned?
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY
Distinguished Senior Member

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 3:38:28 PM »

Yup, several times.

Thanks for replying, but the day before yesterday, I finally got it to work again.  (Once again, I pinned and unpinned, etc.--exactly as I've done before--and this time, inexplicably--it worked.)

Thanks anyway!

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: