• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 2:15:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NeatReceipts  (Read 7621 times)
see_wolf
procrastinating
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: December 26, 2011, 8:19:34 PM »

I was travelling this week and in the SkyMall magazine, saw this receipt scanner - which has intrigued me.  Does anyone have feedback on this device (NeatReceipts)?  Reviews on Amazon are mixed.  I'd like to use it for organizing my personal expenses and some business travel.

http://www.neat.com/products
egilson

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 9:07:29 PM »

I just read the MacWorld review, and it sounds like they thought the software worked well. Another user review, also using it on two different Macs, said the sheetfed scanner was nice but the software was unusably slow. I dunno; you may want to make sure that you can return it to wherever you buy it from.
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »

I just read the MacWorld review, and it sounds like they thought the software worked well. Another user review, also using it on two different Macs, said the sheetfed scanner was nice but the software was unusably slow. I dunno; you may want to make sure that you can return it to wherever you buy it from.

I like my little portable neat scanner, and it works well for scanning stuff to Evernote. But I'd recommend looking at others, like the ScanSnap--we use those at work, and I think the software that comes with the ScanSnap is far better than the Neat Receipts software, although I don't fully exploit all the features of the Neat software.
azv105

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 6:01:55 PM »

I saw it on skymall too. But why do you need to scan receipts? Aren't you paid per-diem charges for daily expenses?

As for big purchases like air tickets and hotel reservations, you could have them email your invoice.
azv105

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 6:02:47 PM »

...and as for personal expenses, if you pay by credit card, you could track it from your e-statement?
pigou

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 8:12:06 PM »

If you have an Android smartphone (and I'm sure the iPhone has it, too) you might want to pick up a scanner app. I've heard good things about Expensify, for example - and that comes with a website to track your spending (including on credit cards) and will generate an expense report for you.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »

Mint should do that.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
tee_bee

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 9:11:00 PM »

I love my portable Neat scanner for travel--it's very handy. But for heavier duty work, a proper sheetfed scanner is better, and I love, love, love the ScanSnap series from Fujitsu. I have a six year old ScanSnap that puts brand new ones from other makers to shame, and its software, for both Macs and PCs, is first rate.

We have a spare at my office, so I got permission to use it at home, and it's a lifesaver.

Here's the newest model. A bit more expensive than the Neat sheet fed unit, but I think this is a faster and overall better deal, when software is taken into account. http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Instant-Sheet-Fed-Scanner/dp/B001V9LQH0
tee_bee

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 9:15:06 PM »

Sorry for the double post. This Epson unit also looks nice, and it uses a TWAIN driver, which makes it work and play better with other programs. I don't think the Neat unit does, and according to the review of the Epson scanner, the ScanSnap uses a proprietary driver. I've never really used the TWAIN features, as far as I know, on my ScanSnap.

The real acid test, to me, is whether a scanner works and plays well with Evernote, and my portable scanner doesn't quite work well with Evernote, although this may just be operator error. Anyway, here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Document-Imaging-Scanner/dp/B001OATBEQ/ref=pd_cp_e_2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: