Classroom Victories

<< < (171/210) > >>

microsb:
Awesome thread. Great to see so many positive experiences in the classroom!

herbertian:
Maybe a small thing, but it sure feels good.

I introduced Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita today, and by using a comparison between it and the similarly dark comedy of Family Guy I was able to avoid having any students accuse Nabokov of being a pervert.  They totally got the comparison.

mystictechgal:
Quote from: herbertian on February 18, 2013,  7:43:38 PM

Maybe a small thing, but it sure feels good.

I introduced Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita today, and by using a comparison between it and the similarly dark comedy of Family Guy I was able to avoid having any students accuse Nabokov of being a pervert.  They totally got the comparison.

I'll have to remember to tell that to my Pastor. He loves Family Guy. I suspect that he'll get a kick out of the comparison.

cgfunmathguy:
A small victory to report:

Background: Second test in BSKT 1XX is tomorrow. The students have had access to the assignment due at the test for almost two weeks. At the review session in class on Wednesday, I mention all of the rules the students need to know for the test (about half a dozen, maybe), and I tell them that determining one of the rules is part of the current homework. If they ask me about their development of the rule, I promise that I'll tell them whether they are on the right track or push them toward something more profitable.

In the first email (9:50AM today), Student A got a general rule, but s/he didn't develop it quite as fully as needed. I prodded for a little more. About 2pm, I get a spot-on rule from Student A. The email ends with

"Hope I've gotten, I've been dotting like crazy."

While this is a non-traditional student with family obligations, I'm really impressed with the fact that s/he spent the previous few hours trying different combinations to come up with the patterns necessary to get the rule.

As I said, a small victory...

ex_mo:
It may well turn out to be something I will post about in longer form because it will blow up in my face, but right now this feels like a victory.

This student has been a thorn in my side since Day One.  He comes to class every session, but I usually wish he hadn't.  He rarely pays attention, preferring to Twitter himself through class.  My general policy on such nonsense is that as long as the student isn't interfering with other students' ability to learn, I don't care if they waste their money and time by not paying attention.  So I basically ignored it.  But in the last week or so, its gotten worse.  He would be doing his regular thing, not paying attention, and then something would alert him and his head would snap up and he would blurt out a question that had just be answered.  Let me be clear:  this was never a case of needing clarification on a concept being discussed.  This was a case of being borderline disruptive.  Last class, his usually-silent phone chirped while I was talking.  I gave him the stink eye and moved on.  A few minutes later, it chirped again.  I stopped what I was doing and told him that if it happened again, I would ask him to give me his phone as he was clearly incapable of using it responsibly.  I suggested that he might find the hallway or the outdoors more to his liking.  He apologized and paid attention for the rest of class time.

Today, I started class with a short (~15 minute) video.  This particular video has proven to provoke very heated and animated discussion in the past.  It is engaging and somewhat controversial.  He fell asleep.  Which I noted to myself but, again, decided that it was his business if he wants to sleep.  After the video, I opened it up to class discussion.  He slept on.  After a few minutes, he began snoring.  Loudly.  So loudly that students on the other side of the room were craning their necks to see what the noise was.  I stopped talking.  Silence.  He snored on. 

"Mr. Sleepy?", I said, quietly at first.

**snnoorrreee**

"Mr. Sleeply?  Are you OK?", I said, a bit louder this time.

**snorrreeee*

"EXCUSE ME MR. SLEEPY!", I was basically shouting at this point.

**snnnor-----zuuhh** 

I rarely get angry in class, but I was p!ssed.  But his face was pretty priceless.

Y'all, I threw his arse out.  Told him to go.  Told him to leave and not come back.  He packed up loudly and did so. 

Two students thanked me after class. 

It probably shouldn't matter, but the fact is that I am a short, young, white woman.  He is an offensive lineman who is easily 6'3" 220.  I felt tough. 

*drops microphone, walks off stage*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page