Classroom Victories

<< < (174/210) > >>

tuxedo_cat:
Quote from: archman on March 18, 2013,  3:59:22 PM

My diet-biology class (non majors) have been F-bombing most work throughout the semester, but once we start covering genetically modified foods and cancer, they miraculously transform into B-grade learners.

At first I thought that meant that they were . . . cursing at the assignments?  Yeah, GMOs is always a good topic.  That stuff is freaky, man.  Students generally don't like the idea that they might be eating strawberries with fish genes in them.  But I was not aware of more recent research about cancer and GMOs.  I will have to look that up!

Here's my story for the day, not sure if it's a "victory" exactly.  For the final research paper in Comp my students get to choose a topic.  Last semester one research group enthusiastically took on LGBTQ civil rights as a global matter.  Except for one guy who dropped out of the group, explaining sheepishly that he didn't know what "LGBTQ" stood for.  And I had the distinct feeling that he may have been thinking, "dude, if I do this topic, people will think *I* am gay."  Anyhow.

But this semester *half* the class wants to do this topic.  That just made me really happy at the end of my day.

railprof:
Not exactly a classroom victory but still a moment that really made my day, and probably my month.

Three former students of mine (but still students at my U) went on a spring break trip to Florida.  They went to the beach of course and stopped on the way to get some beer.  Being unfamiliar with the brands in that state they didn't know what to buy and didn't want to get something they could get at home.  Then one remembered that I had said in class one time how much I liked Yuengling, the beer that got me through grad school.  So they bought some Yuengling and headed to the beach.

The so enjoyed the beer they decided to bring some back as we cannot get it in or near my state.  Today at about 4:49pm they all three stopped by my office and gave me a twelve pack, wrapped in leftover x-mas paper. 

I didn't know what to say. 

democritus:
Quote from: asa_phelps on April 04, 2013,  9:26:48 PM

Not exactly a classroom victory but still a moment that really made my day, and probably my month.

Three former students of mine (but still students at my U) went on a spring break trip to Florida.  They went to the beach of course and stopped on the way to get some beer.  Being unfamiliar with the brands in that state they didn't know what to buy and didn't want to get something they could get at home.  Then one remembered that I had said in class one time how much I liked Yuengling, the beer that got me through grad school.  So they bought some Yuengling and headed to the beach.

The so enjoyed the beer they decided to bring some back as we cannot get it in or near my state.  Today at about 4:49pm they all three stopped by my office and gave me a twelve pack, wrapped in leftover x-mas paper. 

Awwww! Just ... awwww!

systeme_d_:
Quote from: asa_phelps on April 04, 2013,  9:26:48 PM

Beer victories are every bit as good as classroom victories.
Sometimes even better.
Congratulations!

larryc:
So my Research Methods in Local History course met for the new quarter on Tuesday. We introduced one another, went over the syllabus, and then had an in-class reading assignment: Lucy Salmon's 1915 essay "Main Street" in which she relates the historical narrative of her upstate NY town by "reading" Main Street.

Then we analyzed the essay together and I looked outside. It was the first 65 degree day of spring, sunny and resplendent. "Let's go and get our Salmon on!" I said and led the class outside. We walked across the historic center of campus, down the hill to main street of our little college town. Along the way we stopped frequently. "Joe! Read me this building!" I'd say and together we would tease out the history--columns to honor classical learning, an Anglo name on the side, big windows to let in the daylight in a pre-electric era, an addition here--when would you date that?

At one narrow side street off Main it all came together. The street was narrow for a horse and pedestrian era. Masonic symbols on one cornerstone. Some buildings had been repurposed three and four times--you could see where the garage had become a store had become a VFW, which had become run down. A ghost sign on a high wall. A fresh mural for the farmer's market. The history of the town, of American small towns, was all there.

The best part was watching the students chat and interact with each other as we walked. This is really going to pay off this quarter, the camaraderie is great. I am so looking forward to this quarter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page