• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 4:28:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hayfever!  (Read 24180 times)
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: May 02, 2011, 5:20:56 PM »

My eyes!  My beautiful eyes!

In the last couple of days my hayfever has gone from "gee I love spring" to "the outdoors are trying to kill me."  My eyes are itchy balls of pollen-smeared aggravation and my nose is running a marathon.

Any other sufferers out there who need to commiserate?

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 5:42:47 PM »

Yes. I thought I'd made it through the bulk of allergy season with only light punishment. Alas, I did not knock on wood and/or keep my fingers crossed.

The oaks are pollinating. Ugh! Save me!

The good news is that I learned something. I take Zyrtec (generic) every day. I was beginning to wonder whether it really was working or not, since I was still having some symptoms. But the other day I forgot to take it. Three hours into the day, my ears popped and then bam! my head was so congested I felt like I was 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 5:44:13 PM »

I am sneezing as I type this. I have had to get Claritan for my young friend, who is sniffling and snorting so much I want to smack him (I have a low tolerance for others' coughs and repeated sneezes. I have tried and just can't get over wanting to smack the living daylights out of a persistent hacker). I have had the decency to spray liberally, while trying to avoid nasal spray rebound, so that I don't disturb those who might want to smack me.

If my neighbors would let their freaking grass grow and not mow it every 10 minutes, I might be able to have some peace in my house. I don't think I'm allergic to grass itself, but to all the garbage that is released into the air when people get on a riding mower and disrupt everything that is minding its business on the ground.

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 8:06:03 PM »

Flonase is my friend this time of year.  Otherwise I just want to stick my head in a jar and wait it out until the end of summer. 

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 8:27:07 PM »

Actually it is called Rose Fever in the springtime.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 9:09:25 PM »

Actually it is called Rose Fever in the springtime.

I've never heard of rose fever...though I suppose it makes sense, as there's no hay yet.

Claritin is my savior.  I also keep a little bottle of antihistamine eye drops with me at all times.  My eyes are my Achilles heel when it comes to this seasonal allergy business -- I usually have to pry them open in the morning.

Ick.

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
dr_prephd

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 9:43:09 PM »

This year has been the worst for me. I'm living on Zyrtec-D during the day (12 hour antihistamine + decongestant), using the neti-pot 2-3 times a day, and filling in eye drops and nasal spray every 4 hours or so. Some nights I've resorted to taking NyQuil just to konk myself out so I'm not suffering. (Can't take the Zyrtec @ night b/c it wires me--pseudophedrine).

I hate having to keep my windows closed, but I feel like the lady on the allergy commercials who is looking out at the beautiful day and feeling dark and miserable inside.

bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

Unfortunately for me, there are not meds strong enough to control my symptoms. With the meds, I can function. But I'm going through 200 count box of Kleenex every 2 days.

On Friday, I was literally sneezing 2-3 times a minute.

The windows are closed, the central air on, I'm taking my meds, I'm using the sprays.... and I'm a congested mess. My humble goal is to avoid a full blown sinus infection.

Between the pollen from the trees and the mold from the never ending rain, I am well and truly praying for snow to kill it all and cover it up.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
dr_prephd

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:06 PM »

My humble goal is to avoid a full blown sinus infection.

Mine, too. I used to get 4-6 sinus infections a year, but have managed not to have one in the past 3 years since we moved into a place with hardwood floors. Sadly, I think this year may be the one that does me in. My allergies seem to get worse as I get older and live in this area longer... I'm thinking it maybe time to finally see an allergist.

Our grocery store was sold OUT of Kleenex this weekend... !!!

bioteacher
chocolate loving

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »

So I suppose it isn't the time to tell you that I've been in the care of at least 4 different allergists (shots did NOTHING for me no matter how many times I tried them) and had 3 sinus surgeries over the years and that this is as good as I'm going to get?

But this summer, I am removing the horrible living room carpet and putting in laminate flooring and an area rug.

Without central air, I don't know what I'd do.

Out of kleenex? The horrors! That's the stuff of nightmares.

My mom can't figure out why I insist on buying brand name always and lotion Kleenex when I'm in the thick of an infection or allergy flair. Hmmm. Maybe because anything else feels like sandpaper on my already abused nose?

fiona

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 2:35:14 PM »

I  have a basketball nose: it dribbles all over the floor.

I hate nature.

The Fiona

The Fiona or Them FionŠ or Fiona the Sublime

Professor of Thread Killing, Fiork University
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 3:44:31 PM »

These OTC Alaway allergy eye drops are fairly new (I first noticed them either last year or the year before). They are amazing, and they last 12 hours: http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Allergy-Redness-Relief/alaway-eye-drops

I also use generic prescription flonase (steroid nasal spray) and neti pot as needed, and this gives me about 80% improvement. I add Sudafed when the sinuses get bad, but it interferes with my sleep so I try to avoid it.

Claritin, Zyrtec, and Allegra don't even touch my allergies.
creaky_knees

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 4:21:36 PM »

Hello fellow sufferers.  This spring has been particularly bad for me.  Last spring I was ok, but creaky_spouse and creaky_offspring were in misery.  I'm relying on benadryl for my head and patanol drops for my eyes.  Would love to be outside getting the garden ready and taking walks, but am staying indoors for now until the blooming world settles down.
theritas

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »

Earache.  Fatigue.  Meds do nothing.  'Tude in toilet.  Best wishes fellow sufferers.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 1:22:25 PM »

There is just no feeling in the world like waking up and realizing you were mouth breathing while asleep. Your entire mouth is dry and gritty and you have a nasty coating on your tongue. I'm getting rather tired of this.

Why should the ability to breathe through one's nose be such an elusive thing? Why?

Oh, and it's raining here. Still. The mold is having an orgy and the trees are doing their best to keep up with their own party.

Tea and Kleenex for all.
<restocks the pallets for everyone to drag their supplies home>

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: