• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 1:35:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiring their own graduates  (Read 26207 times)
joesephpeabody

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2012, 1:26:08 AM »

In addition to hurting the reputation of your PhD program, I think it's also a disservice to the candidate. It will be VERY hard for him or her to be taken seriously, if he or she is seen to be a replica of his or her supervisor.
Yes and no. I've seen a few departments (including my current home) with dubious hiring practices, e.g. inbreeding and nepotism. But nobody wants to question the status quo, and so these practices continue unquestioned.

JP
mleok
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2012, 5:45:15 PM »

In addition to hurting the reputation of your PhD program, I think it's also a disservice to the candidate. It will be VERY hard for him or her to be taken seriously, if he or she is seen to be a replica of his or her supervisor.
Yes and no. I've seen a few departments (including my current home) with dubious hiring practices, e.g. inbreeding and nepotism. But nobody wants to question the status quo, and so these practices continue unquestioned.

JP

What exactly are you objecting to what obprof is saying? Just because the practice continues unquestioned does not mean that it doesn't hurt the reputation of the department, or that it isn't harmful to the candidate.
biotech4u

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »

These old timers are so funny. I wonder if they have hair growing from their ears yet?
fieldsforce

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »

I just love it how you can get them to scurry on here and type silliness. They're so cute that way. You can get the to talk about all kinds of random things. Flowers and children's books and Good Night Moon. Cool stuff about flowers and birds and trees oh my.
instructorman

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2012, 9:41:18 AM »

I just love it how you can get them to scurry on here and type silliness. They're so cute that way. You can get the to talk about all kinds of random things. Flowers and children's books and Good Night Moon.

As the person who made the allusion to Harry Potter, I stand by using it as pretty cogent example of how hiring your own can become a normalized practice that has more heuristic than saying "Well, I'm witness to seeing it happen in my department and I don't reccommend the results, because it really limits the overall experience and academic perspective of the department."

But it does sure help curtail the troublesome problem of "fit". (re-read with intended sarcasm)
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2012, 3:19:58 PM »

Wait--what does Good Night Moon have to do with any of this?  I love Good Night Moon.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2012, 3:27:39 PM »

I just love it how you can get them to scurry on here and type silliness. They're so cute that way. You can get the to talk about all kinds of random things. Flowers and children's books and Good Night Moon.

As the person who made the allusion to Harry Potter, I stand by using it as pretty cogent example of how hiring your own can become a normalized practice that has more heuristic than saying "Well, I'm witness to seeing it happen in my department and I don't reccommend the results, because it really limits the overall experience and academic perspective of the department."

But it does sure help curtail the troublesome problem of "fit". (re-read with intended sarcasm)

Yes, examples from youth lit novels are always good for explaining how academic works.

Love your neighbor.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2012, 3:37:27 PM »

Wait--what does Good Night Moon have to do with any of this?  I love Good Night Moon.

In the great green conference room
there was a computer
With updated Skype
And a picture of--
The University President, spouting hype...

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2012, 3:46:34 PM »

In the great green conference room
there was a computer
With updated Skype
And a picture of--
The University President, spouting hype...

Best hijack ever.

I came. I saw. I cited.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: