• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiring their own graduates  (Read 26208 times)
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2012, 1:30:45 PM »

Yes, I know.  I'm trying to the quarterly public service message for the readers at home who weren't here the last N times we had this discussion and think that cries of repression, oppression, bullying, or whathaveyou are somehow valid by the mere fact that they were made.

Carry on, then!

VP

usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2012, 1:41:06 PM »

Doesn't sockpuppetry and assuming monikers almost identical to others cross the line, even for brand new folk?  That seems more like intentional disruption.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2012, 1:55:23 PM »

Doesn't sockpuppetry and assuming monikers almost identical to others cross the line, even for brand new folk?  That seems more like intentional disruption.

Yes. It is against the rules. As it is Sunday, the staff mods will probably not see this right now, but it has been brought to their attention and I suspect they will do something about it when they do see it.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2012, 2:20:27 PM »

Sometimes some of us are bullies.  I agree with the idea that there are useful norms, etc.  But some like moralistic aggression more than others.  Occasionally, someone decides norms exist that previously have not.  Beating the crap out of naive newbies(NNs) for dumb questions or not immediately agreeing with older heads can fall into this category.  And, as this board has aged, the putative in-group behavior has increased.

Often, rejoinders to NNs (or other norm violators, like me sometimes) are not funny: they are pious and long winded. 

I realize that new people (or socks) often show up to get a rise, but our hands are often unclean in how we respond.   

Taste o' the Sixties
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2012, 3:51:01 PM »

Be funnier, be meaner, ask a question worth answering, or be quiet.

For the record, everyone on this thread who seriously answered the question has gotten thank yous for regularly helping people on these fora.  Being rude because your particular question wasn't answered the way you wanted (tone, substance, or other) is akin to the complaints of the student who wanted to be spoonfed in a critical thinking class.  People who matter become exasperated and annoyed with the situation.  The student eventually goes away and the people who matter go back to doing interesting things.

For the record, some of us do teach 15 hours a week, do service, perform research, have children, have hobbies, do outreach, and otherwise have wonderful lives that include being a part of this community.  If you don't like it here, then you are free to leave to find people who will tell you what you want to hear instead of what you need to hear.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2012, 9:03:00 PM »

To the one thinking  of having a baby in 2007--yeah, it would have been a really good idea for you. Guessing ya didn't because if you did, you'd have better things to do and you'd have a different mind-set. Guessing most of you are in humanities or are bench scientists with little application of your work and even less interaction with the public! A pretty despicable group. To bad there are people who try to access this forum for some help. God help them!! Juzzzz saying!

You don't know enough about the fora and the forumites you're trying to impersonate to pull this thing off. Go away and come back when you're experienced enough to troll properly.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2012, 9:11:52 PM »

My azaleas are looking pretty good this evening, although one has a dead limb I need to amputate.  They're pretty old, by the standards of ornamental shrubbery.

My forsythiae are glorious.  My lilacs have not bloomed yet.  Peonies are knee-high.  Rhododendrons are gathering strength for their summer breakout.  I expect horticultural glory.  My standards are high.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2012, 9:18:59 PM »

I have to say that I am surprised to hear about your lilacs, Yellowtractor.
They're ablossom everywhere in My New City, which is further north than My Old Town.

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2012, 9:21:15 PM »

My azaleas are looking pretty good this evening, although one has a dead limb I need to amputate.  They're pretty old, by the standards of ornamental shrubbery.

My forsythiae are glorious.  My lilacs have not bloomed yet.  Peonies are knee-high.  Rhododendrons are gathering strength for their summer breakout.  I expect horticultural glory.  My standards are high.

I would like to sit in your yard and smell the flowers, like Ferdinand.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2012, 9:26:37 PM »

They're ablossom everywhere in My New City, which is further north than My Old Town.

We had a surprising cold spell the past two weeks, with nighttime temperatures at or below freezing every night for ten or twelve days running.  They've been quivering at the edge of blossoming for at least a week.  It's excruciating to watch.  I want to go outside at night and whisper encouragements to them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 9:29:00 PM by yellowtractor » Logged

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »

We had a surprising cold spell the past two weeks, with nighttime temperatures at or below freezing every night for ten or twelve days running.  They've been quivering at the edge of blossoming for at least a week.  It's excruciating to watch.  I want to go outside at night and whisper encouragements to them.

I think a little encouragement would be lovely.  If you do go out to speak to them, please tell them I'm earnestly rooting for them, too.  I have always been partial to lilacs.

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »

We had a surprising cold spell the past two weeks, with nighttime temperatures at or below freezing every night for ten or twelve days running.  They've been quivering at the edge of blossoming for at least a week.  It's excruciating to watch.  I want to go outside at night and whisper encouragements to them.

I think a little encouragement would be lovely.  If you do go out to speak to them, please tell them I'm earnestly rooting for them, too.  I have always been partial to lilacs.

Me too!

When I was a WeeZombie, we had a lilac tree in our yard. When you sat under it, all you could see were flowers.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »

I am clueless about flowers; I would not know what is blooming in my yard, if, in fact, something bloomed. 

Except tulips.  I can recognize tulips.  Probably a good 2 out of 4 times.

yellowtractor

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »

I am clueless about flowers; I would not know what is blooming in my yard, if, in fact, something bloomed.  

Except tulips.  I can recognize tulips.  Probably a good 2 out of 4 times.

Now, see, with this level of ignorance, you are a ripe vector for the Invastion of the Body Snatchers-style alien takeover that will destroy us all.  On behalf of humanity, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:28:17 PM by yellowtractor » Logged

galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »

Except tulips.  I can recognize tulips.  Probably a good 2 out of 4 times.

Now, see, with this level of ignorance, you are a ripe vector for the Invastion of the Body Snatchers-like alien takeover that will destroy us all.  On behalf of humanity, thank you very much.

Glad to know I've made my mark in this world.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: