• July 28, 2016
July 28, 2016, 8:27:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avoid Fatih University at all costs  (Read 137989 times)
witness

« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2008, 11:07:03 am »

Hi jstmr

No, I left before that, but at the time, although I could have said some of what I have said now, I am glad I kept my powder dry for this more opportune moment.  It will be difficult now for those who have defended Farty to do so after recent events, and those of us who have seen the place with our eyes open can indulge in some 'I told you so's', even if without taking pleasure in doing so.  Sharing my thoughts and experiences here will have been worth it if even only one person who was considering an offer from Farty reads what I have said and decides against it.  If I can do my little bit to spread the word spread around the whole of the academic community internationally and everyone comes to know this institution for what it really is, then all the better.
witness

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2008, 6:13:38 pm »

The latest news from Planet Farty is that literature courses that one assumes would have been taught by the people who were let go are to be taught in the coming semester by...wait for it...MA students...yes, you know, those kids who don't know how to speak English!  When I was there one of those very MA students sagely informed me that Lloyd George is the present UK Prime Minister.  Teaching excellence indeed.  I confidently expect Farty to disappear altogether within a few years.  They have clearly gven up any attempt at being a university, or even maintaining of the fiction of being one.
jtsmr

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2008, 1:00:49 pm »

The latest news from Planet Farty is that literature courses that one assumes would have been taught by the people who were let go are to be taught in the coming semester by...wait for it...MA students...yes, you know, those kids who don't know how to speak English!  When I was there one of those very MA students sagely informed me that Lloyd George is the present UK Prime Minister.  Teaching excellence indeed.  I confidently expect Farty to disappear altogether within a few years.  They have clearly gven up any attempt at being a university, or even maintaining of the fiction of being one.

When I first heard it, I laughed!  Yes, Witness, how true!  The students that I taught, as well, at Fatih--sorry!--"Farty" University could barely speak English, the Queen's or any other.  I don't know that that's their fault or the system in which they're educated.  Liberal Turks will tell you it's the system.

The University has obviously been burned by this thread and is desparate.  No one in his/her right mind will come from abroad to work at Farty Fatih.  Farty Fatih's MA Turkish will serve as the guinea pigs, bless their hearts.

Methinks YÖK is keeping a keen eye on Farty Fatih's failings.  In a word, that University's already "bankrupt."

witness

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2008, 1:31:22 pm »

I hope they are on the verge of bankruptcy.  They have been intellectually and ethically bankrupt from the start.  A more likely scenario is that they become a mere irrelevance.  The Islamic regime in Turkey is beginning to crack under the strain of the PM's attempts to (further) curtail freedom of speech by trying to silence the half of the media critical of him, and yet another high level corruption scandal implicating the goverment breaks more or less every day.  The Islamicist moment in Turkey is passing.  They have blown it.  Bye bye AKP, bye bye Farty, bye bye Gulenists.

I did hear that another wave of firings is expected next year, so we will wait and see, and I can't imagine many of the foreign faculty still there will want to stick around for any longer than the present academic year.  Word is things are pretty grim, for example every foreigner is sharing their office with a Turk, who is charged with the task of spying on them.  None will dare refuse for fear of being fired themselves for some made up reason.  I imagine the foreigners will be replaced by more of those MA students, and when they run out of those, well, there's always the odd undergraduate who might fancy having a go at teaching.

I suspect that Farty wants to get rid of all of the foreigners, because they hate them for being infidels and, well, foreigners, though they knew that they needed them to gain credibility.  They seem to have abandoned that 'necessary evil' policy, and they will become, as I said above, an irrelevance.  It's the presence of English native speaker academic that persuades the parents to fork out for the tuition fees.

What is funny though, is that despite what they are up to, they still genuinely believe that the world beyond will take them seriously.  It is amusing to watch an institution operate as though it exists in a different dimension of reality from the rest of the world.  Collective madness.  Hilarious! 

I am really looking forward to the stories about the place that I am going o hear over the coming year, and be sure, dear surfers, that they will be reported here!

lerasmus

I am what you might not be.

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2008, 12:23:32 am »

What a gripping melodrama is this thread!

I just discovered this one, and it's interesting, as I know several very dissatisfied foreign scholars teaching there. Well, I knew several. Perhaps they're not teaching there any more... I left Turkey a year ago and haven't been able to keep up with the comings and goings, the mass-firings and all that.

Everyone I knew who was still there was biding their time waiting for a "better" job at ITU, Bilkent, Isik, ODTU, Koc, Sabanci, Bogazici, etc. I never once heard any complaints specifically concerning Gulenist principles or religious-related issues. Rather, the complaint was that it was impossible to teach there, as the students of Fatih were not remotely serious about education. Attendance was very low, homework was never done, and there was no possibility of ever having meaningful class discussions on assigned readings. Turkish friends of mine who went there as students rarely spoke positive about the experience. Everyone I knew (students, teachers) was in humanities - perhaps other disciplines fared better.

I normally don't spread hearsay around the 'net, but it was striking to me that no other university I encountered in Turkey provoked such unanimous responses from all the current faculty and students I met. I mean, at every university one can find a detractor or two. But for comparison, I know teachers at much smaller, worse funded, and lesser-known universities in Istanbul (Kültür U, Özgür U) who didn't really have large-scale complaints, just the normal minor inconveniences and worries. Again, I'm only speaking about dissatisfactions with the university as a place where education can happen, from both student and teacher perspectives. Something's dysfunctional.

Fatih's thrown some decent conferences (I attended that one mentioned on the first page of this thread), but one can't judge a university teaching environment by its public spectacles!
witness

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2008, 5:23:51 am »

The absence of any attempt whatsoever by anyone to come to Farty's defence since the firings last June says it all far more eloquently than anything that us detractors have said and could have said, wouldn't you all say?!!!  Farty be damned!
witness

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2009, 8:36:42 am »

Any news from Planet Fartarse?  How I miss this thread!!!!
truthteller

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2010, 2:44:10 am »

Dear all,

As far as I remember, these mostly malevolent emails have been written by people whose contract was not renewed by  Fatih University because of certain legitimate reasons such as inability to publish, immoral behavior, lack of qualification and cooperation with colleagues, challenge to the regulations, and etc. I consider them emotion loaden and rather unethical since they have been expressed upon their dismissal from the university.
witness

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2010, 10:29:19 am »

This was clearly written by a Turk.  The awkward, ungrammatical English discloses that.  The key word is 'immoral' as readers will note.  Truthteller; in posting here now all you have achieved is to have breathed new life into a dead thread.  If you had left well alone, the thread would have remained buried and forgotten on page five.  Still, there's nothing like shooting oneself in the foot.
astaa

« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2012, 8:20:43 pm »

I hope they are on the verge of bankruptcy.  They have been intellectually and ethically bankrupt from the start.  A more likely scenario is that they become a mere irrelevance. ...

I hope so too, witness, but, alas, Gulen-inspired schools seem to be mushrooming everywhere. Watch this CBS news item on charter schools in the US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvWP7wBkFs  They are under investigation by the FBI, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDbELO12uo 
liam6629

« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2016, 9:58:33 am »

The game is over, guys...

All foreign faculty members have left Fatih University...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: