• May 29, 2016
May 29, 2016, 7:11:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: where to retire (in Europe)  (Read 14468 times)
jdougher

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:18 am »

I haven't been, but what about Morrocco?  Or Turkey? They should be dirt cheap, exotic as all get out, plenty warm as well.

I suppose one would get used to the water/bugs after a while? In both places, I became very ill. Can't drink the water in Morocco (good luck), and something will get you in Turkey sooner or later.
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!
Distinguished Senior Member

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 12:41:16 am »

if anyone can recommend a nice place by the sea that's cheap let me know!

Portugal? Lots of very, very lovely seaside towns, quite inexepensive (relatively speaking). And it shouldn't be too hard to find one near an airport, for jaunts back home.

Hubby Bubba and I are seriously thinking about Portugal. It's gotten rave reviews in all the 'where to retire' articles. We are looking at houses with a 2 bedroom cottage on the grounds for holiday lets to give us an additional income.

Let's just hope the UK stays in the EU.

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK... with a slight drift to the Arabian Gulf.

It is what it is.
alleyoxenfree

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 2:27:04 am »

Outer Orkneys.

Fireplace.

Walks on the cliffs.

Books.
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 5:27:25 am »

Let's just hope the UK stays in the EU.

My Plan B is to get German citizenship. My father was born there and we can trace ourselves back to the 17th Century... My father lost his citizenship and then became a British citizen. Maybe I can get it back.
savay

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 4:22:14 pm »

Outer Orkneys.

Fireplace.

Walks on the cliffs.

Books.

Pretty much. Add a boat, and you're set.
Also, summer home in Iceland.
mamselle

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:23:34 am »

What are your languages?

I'd start there...

Bourgogne for me, but if you want the sea, the maybe southeast of Perpignan?

(Cue Azanavour's "La Mer"  but I'm on my phone so can't pop the link in here...)

Some old threads, like breads, deserve time to get yeasty and then be enjoyed again, I do believe.

Did the OP ever report back, by the way?

;--}

M.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 2:55:59 pm »

OK, so this is a thread going on another stream which has been wholly US in its focus, and I have a similar question in mind.

I am in the UK, have another 12- 15 years work in me, god willing (and I'm an atheist). Time to start thinking longer term. Like many here am intrigued by the ongoing buy-a-home abroad media stuff, but wonder if it is a bubble that will burst, and/or whether airtravel is justifiable.

So, I want to maintain connections with the UK, but would like to be somewhere a bit warmer and/or drier and/or cheaper than the Northwest where I am now and I prefer urban lifestyles. Where should I invest, where would you invest, with an eye to longer time retirement?

Considering when he started the thread, Gringo Gus should be pretty close to retiring now - I wonder how his plans are going.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
mary6879

« Reply #22 on: Today at 06:59:30 pm »

Type your commitsí been one yr since I quit my office job and it was a best decision i made in my life... I started working online, over a site I discovered on-line, several hours daily, and my income now is much bigger then it was on my previous job... Check i got for last month was for $9k... Awesome thing about this is the more free time i got with my family.. http://4ui.us/bestworkathomejob
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: