• October 10, 2015
October 10, 2015, 6:55:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Warning: The University of Kurdistan Hewlęr  (Read 2300 times)

« on: September 28, 2014, 7:20:02 am »

I was recently employed at The University of Kurdistan Hewlęr. I went despite reading the warnings from others on this forum. I was looking for adventure and to help the Kurdish people. But, it was a mistake.

I would strongly recommend to anyone not to apply. I was lied to in the interview, expected to do things outside of the job description, encountered widespread sexual harassment, an incompetent and underqualified administration, wasn’t paid on time or in full, the terms of my contract were not honored, nepotism and seemingly other forms of corruption abound, the support staff is also inept, the administrative procedures are Kafkaesque, there is really no professionalism and academic dishonesty is an institutional norm and even practiced by administrators (e.g. trying to pass off self-published books as scholarly work).  If you want to help Kurdistan this isn’t the way. These things will prevent you from doing your job well, hurt you professionally and likely personally.

It pains me to say this because the students are great and they deserve good faculty; but, I also feel an obligation to my colleagues out there to tell the truth. I don’t want to see someone else make the kind of mistake I did. (I forwent other opportunities for this and am now paying the price financially). Okay guys, the “I told you sos” can start now. I know I was too idealistic. But, be gentle, in my defense my heart was in the right place…

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 7:56:16 pm »

Thanks for the info.  It lets people know.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:02:09 am »

Thank you for your post. It is educational. You are doing a service to the academic public.

Would you like to detail the followings, perhaps giving some concrete examples for each item below?

a) "I was lied to in the interview".

b) "expected to do things outside of the job description".

c) "widespread sexual harassment".

d) "an incompetent and underqualified administration".

e) "the terms of my contract were not honored", besides that ", wasn’t paid on time or in full".

f) "nepotism".

g) "other forms of corruption abound"

h) "the support staff is also inept".

i) "the administrative procedures are Kafkaesque".

j) "academic dishonesty is an institutional norm and even practiced by administrators", besides "trying to pass off self-published books as scholarly work".
Distinguished Senior Member

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:44:48 pm »

We are all too idealistic as academics, and many of the things you encountered are also true elsewhere. That doesn't make it easier so I'm sorry your idealism crashed and burned.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:43:36 am »

Thank alot for this infomation!
Pages: [1]
Jump to: