• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 12:00:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facial Numbness Update  (Read 6485 times)
mclower

« on: January 31, 2012, 2:08:49 PM »

Thank you to everyone who read and/or responded to my post last week. I saw the neurologist yesterday and he believes I have a rare form of Bell's Palsy that affects only the nerves and not the muscles. He has seen only four cases of it in his lengthy career. However, he wants an MRI of the spine and brain to rule out any problems with the C6 cervix, which is responsible for the nerves in that part of the head, and any brain lesions that might indicate Multiple Sclerosis. Barring those conditions, which are unlikely, he will treat the palsy with high doses of steroids and expects a full recovery within several weeks.

Thank you again! It's nice to have the fora as a sounding board for such a wide variety of personal and professional topics.
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 2:48:33 PM »

It sounds like you've found a good neurologist.  I hope everything goes smoothly.
collegekidsmom
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 3:01:29 PM »

Sounds like a positive step. That's great news, and thanks for sending the update.
I did know someone with very similar type of symptoms who did have Lyme Disease. Simple blood test could rule that out. I am always worried about untreated Lyme having had the situation in my family.
itried

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 8:26:21 PM »

This whole thing must be very distressing, mclower. Good luck with the diagnosis and treatment.
mclower

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 1:32:19 PM »

Thank you, itried. It is mainly annoying. I am confident it will resolve. But because I have some other medical things going on right now, it is a pain to add another to the list. I'm just tired of constant medical appointments! But I'm grateful to have modern medicine and nothing life-threatening.

Sigh...
itried

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 8:19:50 AM »

mclower, how you doing?
mclower

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 7:08:40 PM »

itried,

Thank you for asking. I am glad to report that the numbness is about 95% gone with no treatment other than the passing of a few weeks.

Hoping you are well.

:-D
itried

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 8:20:03 PM »

Oh that must be such a relief! Let's hope it was just a strange fluke, indicative of nothing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: