• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:02:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to conceive  (Read 312753 times)
testingthewaters
Who? What?
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: June 16, 2010, 1:39:51 PM »

Now that I've obsessed enough on the thread I started when I stopped taking birth control pills 6 months ago, I thought others might want to obsess share experiences. With interventions, without, whatever.

Share. Discuss.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 9:47:56 PM by moderator » Logged

Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana.
testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 1:41:38 PM »

To kick off: I just thought I'd point out that there is an exponential relationship between my period and the number of pregnant women on the streets. I swear, the day I break out the tampons, visibly pregnant women just come out of the woodwork in droves.

Stupid happy pregnant women. Grrr.

gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 2:09:32 PM »

I noticed the same thing when I was trying to get pregnant, testing. Drove me crazy. Especially all the nieces that were popping out kids left and right. Apparently, I started wearing such a long face every time I held the newest addition that the first time I didn't, I was pounced on immediately. And yes, I was finally pregnant with Genni.

I hope you succeed very soon!

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
littlefred

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 3:45:54 PM »

I'll join in testing!

We have been trying for a year, without luck.

This past month was a first round with Clomid. I also read a book recommended on the other thread, about Chinese medicine, and I started acupuncture last week.

I have had 2 sessions, and we are focusing on the fertility, as well as another BIG issue. (I suffer from Chronic pain)

I have noticed some small changes, but nothing big.

I am in the '2-week wait' time of my cycle, and this is about the time I start to obsess about whether or not I am....

trying not to.....

The suspense is killing me! Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue ...
wildwest

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 3:53:51 PM »

Got pregnant over two years ago, then miscarred at 14 weeks.  (Actually it was a missed miscarriage--the fetus had died at week 10 or so).

Have been trying for 18 months since then with no luck.  Have been on herbal/homeopathic treatments for about a year.  Everything seems to be normal in terms of cycle, ovulation, etc.  (I keep those blasted charts, take my temp every morning, etc.).  I'm in my late 30's.

Doctor wants me to have some test called a hysterosalpingogram.  I am resisting.  Sounds hideous to me.  I told spouse I am not doing the test until he is tested first.

Yes, in the time I have worked in my current job, I have colleagues who have popped out two and three kids.  Other women seem to get pregnant without any effort.  I get upset every month when my period comes . . .

. . . but not upset enough yet to go through painful testing, drugs, etc.  I guess I'm conflicted, angry, confused.

Bleh!
testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 2:01:08 AM »

Littlefred, acupuncture sounds interesting in general, not just for fertility. I'm curious to hear whether it helps for your chronic pain. I read this paper recently pointing toward a possible pathway explaining (to us scientists, anyway) a possible mechanism, and thought that was interesting.

Wildwest, stepping into the medical merry-go-round is pretty daunting. I'm not even going to look up what a hysterosalpingogram is- sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Gennimom, fortunately, the next generation is young enough that they shouldn't be procreating (one would hope) for some time. Nieces with babies would, I think, push me over the edge.

And as a sidenote: clearly, I should just not be procreating until I learn to spell. Conceive. Conceive. Conceive. The spell checker doesn't check the subject line...

wanna_writemore

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »

We've been trying for 4 years, and just got the medical establishment involved a few months ago.  I had a hysterosalpingiogram (hsg) in February.  It was awful, but I'm so glad we did it.  For many women, it can increase fertility for a few months, but no such luck here.  The results weren't quite clear enough, so my RE ordered a pelvic MRI.  It was much less painful and revealed that I by some genetic anomaly, I only have a half-sized uterus.  I can get pregnant, but will need careful monitoring.  I'm glad we did the testing to know this - not knowing usually results in a series of second-trimester miscarriages.  The other reason I'm glad we did the testing is that we also discovered that I wasn't immune to rubella.  I had regular MMR vaccines as a child and even a booster when I was in junior high, but it apparently didn't work either, so I had to get the vaccine again and then wait 30 days before trying to conceive.  Something to consider if you're in your mid-30s.

I don't really like the drugs, etc., for the infertility treatments, but in the (one) IUI cycle we've done, I responded okay to them without any real side effects.  We're fortunate to have good health insurance and live in a state where infertility must be covered.  My insurance requires 3 IUI cycles before proceeding to IVF.  I'm not sure we'll go there - I need to know more - but that's a few months away still.

I got frustrated hearing that a friend's 20-year old just had her second child the other day.  I'm also appalled at the (several) people who've been open about the fact that their children were accidents.  Even if the pregnancy is unplanned, that seems an inappropriate thing to tell colleagues!
quiltyrendfou

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »

It wasn't easy for me but I eventually got pregnant with my son when I was about to give up hope... I wish you the best of luck.  Are you testing your hormones everyday during your peak fertility time?  I was peeing into a cup, even at work, twice a day and using strips to test for the hormone "surge" that tells you it's peak time.  When I started getting even the faintest sign of the surge on those strips we would have intercourse every night for 5 nights, no matter how tired we were at the end of the day (not exactly easy for either of us, but it did work).   
wildwest

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »

I just LOVE (hint:  sarcasm) the little snarky comments that people make.  They don't think the comments are snarky, but they come across that way if you are having difficulty conceiving, or putting off preganancy, or conflicted, or trying, or any other non-pregnant, inbetween state:

1.  "Oh, you just wait until you are parents, you'll never ____ again."  (Insert any verb such as:  sleep, go out on a date, etc.)
2.  "Just don't wait too long to have kids."  (As if I'm waiting and haven't been trying for two years).
3.  "You'll understand once you have kids."

and my favorite:

4.  "Just adopt.  As soon as you adopt, you'll get pregnant."  (As if one biologically causes the other, or it is easy to adopt and not just as expensive as IVF.)

I suppose I could be just as snarky and say that such comments are merely the shadenfreude of young parents whose kids rule their existence and who wants everyone else to feel as overwhelmed and exhausted as they are.

littlefred

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »

I understand wildwest... I had a good 'friend' (ok, former good friend) say last year "its such a good thing littlefred doesn't have kids, I feel would feel soooooo bad for them"

needless to say, that was like a knife....

anyway... on to better thoughts...

there is a site that sells the ovulation strips as well as pregnancy tests online cheaper than in stores:
  here

The suspense is killing me! Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue ...

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »

Wildwest, I hate those snarky comments. I haven't gotten them in a while, thankfully, but I tend to respond in kind. People might as well be reminded that their comments are off-base.

My husband and I still haven't decided about kids. I love my husband and think we'd be good parents, but I realize that having children is a bit commitment. I also don't get weak in the knees looking at babies. Apparently some people think that makes me weird.

I feel frustrated when people remind me that we're not getting any younger, and that we should start trying to have a kid now before it's too late. But then in their next breath they talk about how hard having children is and how we'll have no idea how hard it is until we're there. Not. Helpful.
concordancia

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 1:02:32 PM »

Wildwest, I hate those snarky comments. I haven't gotten them in a while, thankfully, but I tend to respond in kind. People might as well be reminded that their comments are off-base.

My husband and I still haven't decided about kids. I love my husband and think we'd be good parents, but I realize that having children is a bit commitment. I also don't get weak in the knees looking at babies. Apparently some people think that makes me weird.

I adore children, I get along with them, I can even handle their grumpies rather well... but I am still indifferent to negative about having my own. This confuses people to no end. Umm, sorry, I have spent enough time caring for kids in daycare, as a nanny, taking charge of my nieces and nephews when my SIL was in the hospital... I have a very good idea of how much work is involved and I am not signing up to do it myself!

I feel frustrated when people remind me that we're not getting any younger, and that we should start trying to have a kid now before it's too late. But then in their next breath they talk about how hard having children is and how we'll have no idea how hard it is until we're there. Not. Helpful.

Or, as we have mentioned before, inform me that it is a shame that I chose my career over a family. Really? I wasn't aware that I had done so. You mean if I had not gone to grad school Prince Charming would have come and swept me off my feet? Guaranteed?

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 1:09:43 PM »

Littlefred, acupuncture sounds interesting in general, not just for fertility. I'm curious to hear whether it helps for your chronic pain. I read this paper recently pointing toward a possible pathway explaining (to us scientists, anyway) a possible mechanism, and thought that was interesting.

Wildwest, stepping into the medical merry-go-round is pretty daunting. I'm not even going to look up what a hysterosalpingogram is- sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Gennimom, fortunately, the next generation is young enough that they shouldn't be procreating (one would hope) for some time. Nieces with babies would, I think, push me over the edge.

After looking it up, the hysterosalpingogram doesn't sound too bad, but it does carry risks. It is intended to look at the structure of the uterus and to see if the tubes are open. If you have a deviated uterus (as a former colleague of mine had) it can tell the doc that, as well.

Testing, you have to remember that I'm 43 and the youngest of 7 children with 17 years between myself and my oldest sister. GD is the youngest of four with almost as much difference between the oldest and him. My oldest nephew is actually older than GD. While I do have one niece that became pregnant her senior year in HS (gave birth a month after graduating), most of them have been to college and married a few years. So, while my nieces found it a little strange to be pregnant before me or at the same time I was (two were), not so for me. I have classmates with grandkids older than my daughter.

I know. GD and I were a little slow!

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
monita

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 1:23:24 PM »

We are considering going off the pill sometime this summer (just waiting to be sure a job/insurance is lined up first).  I have been ready and waiting for this for a looooong time.  However, it's making me completely CRAZY to wait right now, because every other woman in my universe is currently pregnant or nursing.  I think the constant baby-frenzy is actually affecting me hormonally, because lately my boobs get really huge and sore betwen ovulation and cycling each month (too much progesterone?  who knows?)  Husband doesn't mind, but it's not so nice on my end. :-(

Best of luck to you all.  I know how miserable it is to hear "don't wait too long!".  It just make a woman feel old and useless.  Not helpful.

Side note: @ Littlefred: acupuncture usually takes quite a while (months, often) before the effects are really noticable, but afterwards a few treatments for maintenance really pay off.  I've been using it for migraine control for about a year now, and it's light years better than any western meds I've tried.
littlefred

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 1:30:56 PM »

thanks Monita!

I had already signed on for 3 months of treatment... so we'll see how it goes, I will keep everyone informed as to how it helps!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51
  Print  

Jump to: