• February 13, 2016
February 13, 2016, 2:55:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 543
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Parents Drink  (Read 999018 times)
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #3000 on: May 01, 2012, 2:27:27 am »

We had my son's weird friend over for dinner. We try to have conversational dinners, but sometimes it is tough.

Me: So, how was your day?

Son's Weird Friend: Pretty good actually. I made a dollar.

Me: Oh?

SWF: Well when we were going out to recess there was like half a banana on the ground without its peel, and it was all squishy and stuff. And some guy said "Hey kid I'll give you a dollar if you put that in your mouth." So I picked it up and ate it, and he gave me a dollar. How was your day, Larry?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 2:27:45 am by larryc » Logged

This rant was brought to you by the society for accepting the things that you cannot change.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #3001 on: May 01, 2012, 7:19:55 am »

I'd be willing to do that now, for a dollar, as a middle-aged adult.

In college we used to make bets like "I'll eat that stick of butter in 60 seconds for $5."

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #3002 on: May 01, 2012, 9:21:28 am »

Hand truck? Shock collar? No idea--I can still carry sprout to time out, and he's almost 6.

Larry, I can't tell if the kid is weird delightful or weird creepy.  I'm guessing weird creepy.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #3003 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:31 am »

Larry, Son's Weird Friend (if it's the same SWF as your other posts) sounds to me like he might have Asperger's. There are two Asperger's kids in my life within a year or two of Wonderboy's age and presumably SWF who do and say stuff like that. Speculating; I may be wrong; could be a useful frame of reference, though.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
tenured_feminist

« Reply #3004 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:34 am »

Yea! and Ugh. I am assuming Zithromax?

Do you have a dog? I've had families where the vector for strep was the dog, insomuch as until the dog was treated as the carrier, the entire family continued to pass strep for one to the other.

No, no dog to blame. We did look at carriers about 8 years ago when my daughter had a crazy number of strep episodes in a short period but never figured it out.

He is on clindamycin and it is not working. I think I need to get him in again today or tomorrow for a course of a non-cillin, non-mycin. Ironically enough, over the weekend when we thought he had mono, he and I had a conversation about what life was like before antibiotics and how much it would suck to have to use only supportive care to deal with something like strep.

How's that stud doing, Isotope? One of my less fun memories of current Strep Boy was taking him to the doctor to have peanut removed from his nose.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #3005 on: May 01, 2012, 11:34:14 am »

I have no idea what I will do when Blocky is too big for me to carry him to time out for not listening; unfortunately, that day is probably about six months off since Blocky is huge and I'm not.

Ugh. I think that day is still far off for me. Even though the Dormouse is six, she's very small and I can still stuff her into the teapot.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
thenewyorker

« Reply #3006 on: May 01, 2012, 11:50:18 am »

From the backseat of the car this morning on the way to daycare, the littlenewyorker in his cute little toddler voice, "Mommy. I am not going to say f*ck today."

When You Snark You Can Really Love
dr_alcott

« Reply #3007 on: May 01, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »

From the backseat of the car this morning on the way to daycare, the littlenewyorker in his cute little toddler voice, "Mommy. I am not going to say f*ck today."

Good for LNYer. Perhaps I should learn from his example.

Nah.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
isotope
A Ronnie James Dio Approved

I am a #$%&! delight.

« Reply #3008 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:06 pm »

Oh, how I love this.  I, too, would love to follow this lead.  Sadly, it never works out.

Did you reply with "You just f*cking said it!" 

"I dunno, Dr. Isotope.  All your music sounds like something off of guitar hero, expert level." -- student
collegekidsmom

« Reply #3009 on: May 01, 2012, 2:39:26 pm »

I think the kid eating the banana might just have wanted to seem cool enough to do anything. One time a bunch of kids said they'd pay me to drink a whole container of salad oil-maybe about a whole cup or more. Of course, I did-then went on with my day. Maybe it was a moment where you could be the center of attention. Kids that age are unpredictable.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #3010 on: May 01, 2012, 2:48:31 pm »

Good for LNYer. Perhaps I should learn from his example.

Nah.

LOVE.

On one of last week's Colbert episodes, SC interviews Julie Andrews about her own swearing (and children's book writing). It's a hoot.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #3011 on: May 01, 2012, 2:55:07 pm »

This is great. Our little guy just strings together a bunch of curses he hears (unfortunately daily). He's latest is "you are a f***ing god dammit." He said this in front of the cashier the other day. I've have three kids, but I was still mortified.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
dr_alcott

« Reply #3012 on: May 01, 2012, 2:58:24 pm »

This is great. Our little guy just strings together a bunch of curses he hears (unfortunately daily). He's latest is "you are a f***ing god dammit." He said this in front of the cashier the other day. I've have three kids, but I was still mortified.

But how did he punctuate it? Was there a comma in there, by chance? Because I think "you are a f***ing god, dammit" is quite endearing, and I kind of wish I'd taught my toddlers to say this to me on those crappy, I-can't-juggle-work-and-parenting kinds of days.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #3013 on: May 01, 2012, 3:06:42 pm »

Speaking from professional experience, I have had to learn to try and keep a straight face when preschoolers use context specific swears. But it can be funny. I'd get the urge to yell dammit if someone knocked my block tower over too.

Oh, and they totally dish all your dirt at lunch time. Believe me.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
thenewyorker

« Reply #3014 on: May 01, 2012, 3:10:12 pm »

Alas - he learns those words from mommy and daddy although we try to curb it. Most of my transgressions happen in the car.

My friend swears like you would to believe while driving and his three-year old daughter absorbs it all - she is now able to use c*nt in the correct context.
Methinks daddy needs to tone it down.
Her mama drinks a lot.

When You Snark You Can Really Love
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 543
  Print  

Jump to: