• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:18:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: ABD on the market-support group  (Read 331379 times)
berkeleygirl

« on: November 03, 2009, 7:45:15 PM »

Hey all you ABDs on the job market this year. I wanted to start this page so we can have a separate place for our experiences.  I have had such mixed responses to being on the market as an ABD, but I am finishing in May (for sure!), so what am I supposed to do? :).  As I stated in other posts, there are all different kinds of ABDs, and I'd like to get through this season together.....I welcome complaints, support, randomness...whatever, I just want a place where I can talk with others in my similar position.  Anyhow...welcome and please post so I can have another thing to check frantically every 15 minutes :) 
anthrogeek

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 8:03:18 PM »

I was ABD this time last year and made it by the end of the spring. I graduated quick and was light on the pubs, and drew painfully little attention compared to the volume of apps I sent out. The easiest thing for a SC to do when faced with 200 apps is to divide the ones with Ph.Ds from the ones without, and scrutinize the Ph.Ds first. This happens a lot.

Probably for good reason. A lot of my ABD friends were on the market with me last year. They're still ABD this year. Being an ABD now is very very tough, hang in there.
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 8:09:40 PM »

Some reading for your downtime:

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,54982.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,54051.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,51854.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,45094.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,45823.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,45840.0.html

Wait... what am I saying?

GO WRITE THAT DISSERTATION! 

Off the fora!  Off!  Be gone!  Write! 

:)

(good luck!)
berkeleygirl

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 8:12:36 PM »

Thanks ya'll! Anthrogeek-are you an archaeologist? just curious. Glowdart-thanks for the links...I have a 2 year old and my afternoons are spent hanging out with him, applying for jobs and reading this kind of stuff, so thanks :)
songsofexperience
Fluevog wearing, twinkle-toed admiral crankypants

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 8:13:26 PM »

I was ABD for the 2007-8 search and I sent out about 30 apps. I received 3 conference interviews (one was quite prestigious!) and 1 phone interview. I had a campus visit at one SLAC for 2 different positions (a 3 year VAP for each) and came in second on each! I had 2 solid years of teaching as a visitor at 2 different SLACs behind me. I didn't have much of my diss done but figured if I got an offer I would put my nose to the grindstone and finish.

2 years later . . . well, still ABD but this time I'm almost finished and will deposit the diss in May after an April defense but the market is so bad right now I think that means nothing. I've sent out/will send out 6 apps in my discipline and another 6-7 in a closely related one so thats less than half the jobs available 2 years ago. I suspect that what is happening this year is that departments are receiving 200 apps for each position (I'm in a field in which we produce way more people than there are jobs for) and are just tossing the ones that don't have the Ph.D. in hand. Factor in those that go through HR first and I'm done for! This year I have articles behind me, my teaching experience, and an almost complete diss but I don't think it's going to help.

prairiedawn

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 8:25:31 PM »

I tell myself that I just need to make it through December. Everything will be different in December.
I was on the job market last year, because my profs thought it would be good practice, but this time around it counts. This is it.

January seems like a great month to me.

/whiny voice
berkeleygirl

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 8:31:51 PM »

You never know, and I like to think that us ABD look good because we're cheaper than a highly published PhD. That's what some tenured profs have told me...but maybe they were trying to make me feel better.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you!! 

We need to stay positive.  Sitting aroud waiting is painful enough :) Last year was bad too and everyone who graduated from my department went on the market as ABD and got a nice tt jobs or a post doc...so remember it does happen. 
berkeleygirl

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 8:33:49 PM »

Oh yea...and i am counting down till December too! Most of my applications were/are due between October 1 and December 1, so the winter will tell all :)  Lets be sure to stay on here and talk each other through all this.a
abdbcb

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 8:45:30 PM »

Hi everyone, great idea to start this berkeleygirl. I went on ABD last year, having barely started the diss, and got a VAP. For better or worse. Now I am trying to teach, write, and apply for something permanent (plus a 2yr old and a 4yr old - and a supportive SO). Anyway, maybe that provides some hope? I just sent off half the diss - or a draft of it - to my advisors so that I can get LORs saying I will finish this year. Maybe. And then its just plugging away, writing writing writing. Exhausting.
berkeleygirl

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 9:01:40 PM »

abdbcp-good luck! you give me hope :)
blueamber

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 9:07:36 PM »

Great thread! I'm an ABD too (plan to defend next Spring) and struggling with the pressure of waiting.
I believe there should be a sub-market for ABDs, so it's not necessary that we're less competitive I think. It would be great if some experienced members here could shed some light on this issue.
prairiedawn

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 9:14:08 PM »

Good luck, abdcb.

I have a 3 year old. (Hence the moniker, too much sesame street) The little one and the dissertation keep me on my toes.

I like the idea of talking each other through this.
dr_prephd
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 9:19:04 PM »

I'm ABD and this is my first *real* year on the market (sent out a few selective apps last year). I'm in a field where practical experience and a master's degree are all that are required for many professorships, so I've got that on my side. Unfortunately, many of those jobs require a kind of experience I haven't had (and won't, because I've already priced myself out of it). So, that limits the number I can apply to. I've got three chapters out of five completed and should defend next fall.

berkeleygirl

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 9:21:08 PM »

Sometime seasoned voices are bitter...:)

I have to say that as a mother who had a surprise pregnancy the year I had my orals (which I passed on time, 3 weeks before my due date) I have heard so many people rooting against me, saying I would drop out, etc.  I am finishing before or with everyone in my cohort.  We can finish this year and get some kind of employment.  I know the job market is crazy, but if you hustle and present yourself well, you've gotta have a chance...at least I am telling myself this while I am waiting for some of the 25+ application responses.

prePhd...good luck!!!!
berkeleygirl

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 9:27:55 PM »

By the way....if any of you contribute to diversity in any way (identity or scholarship) check out Depauw's CFD fellowship.  "consortium for faculty diversity" 40+ SLAC, one app, rolling deadline, pre and post docs....a must app for anyone who qualifies. The postdocs get paid well!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to: