• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:51:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Surviving the Job search  (Read 525792 times)
litdawg
Ambidextrous Humanities Player
Distinguished Senior Member

God & the CHE fora help those who help themselves.

« Reply #780 on: January 25, 2012, 5:28:32 PM »

You've moved enough to know what it would be like to get the new non-TT gig. However, if it is in a town where you'd really want to be, that sounds to me like a better location to work on your endgame/exit strategy than moving somewhere unemployed. I think you'd be well positioned to find an admin position at Dream U if you had two years on campus in a teaching role.

The heart of the wise man is tranquil.  Chuang Tzu
watermarkup

« Reply #781 on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »

Yes, AFTDNTTJ! I've also been on the market in non-TT jobs for a long time, I've also had moments when I am completely sick of the whole thing, and I've sometimes fantasized about looking into administrative positions...but I don't want to be stuck as an administrator in my current institution (for complicated reasons, a lateral move from administration here would be unlikely). I think Litdawg's exactly right - apply, and if you're still looking for admin work in two years, you'll already be in the place you want to be.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #782 on: January 27, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »

Thanks, litdawg and watermarkup - you're both exactly right. (Though this new job is in Canada, and I'm not sure whether that would complicate an attempt to move into administration there. But. That is in the future.) And I love the sub-acronym AFTDNTTJ! I did indeed apply - mailed it off yesterday - and then - wait for it - came home and found in my email a message accepting one of my articles for publication!! I am really excited about this, especially because publications are the one weak spot on my CV right now. And this is both a good journal and a topic that it's good for me to have a publication about. Of course, I wish I had gotten that email BEFORE I mailed off my application, but I suppose I can send them a revised CV. (Though for a primarily teaching position, will it matter? Hmm. I need to go review those threads.)

Anyway. I am taking all this as a sign from the universe (as my mother would say) that I shouldn't throw in the towel just yet. And I would be happy to share that thought with anyone else here who has been feeling glum.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #783 on: February 02, 2012, 3:45:09 PM »

Must whine/vent/stew/wallow. Last job app-found out today I didn't get asked for an interview. Grousing. I tried to do something healthy and went for a walk; however, too much in a wallowing mood to write. Trying to avoid a Mad Men marathon.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #784 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »

Thanks, litdawg and watermarkup - you're both exactly right. (Though this new job is in Canada, and I'm not sure whether that would complicate an attempt to move into administration there. But. That is in the future.) And I love the sub-acronym AFTDNTTJ! I did indeed apply - mailed it off yesterday - and then - wait for it - came home and found in my email a message accepting one of my articles for publication!! I am really excited about this, especially because publications are the one weak spot on my CV right now. And this is both a good journal and a topic that it's good for me to have a publication about. Of course, I wish I had gotten that email BEFORE I mailed off my application, but I suppose I can send them a revised CV. (Though for a primarily teaching position, will it matter? Hmm. I need to go review those threads.)

Just now saw this.  Corny, if you haven't already, I would send in a revised CV.  It's noteworthy, even for a teaching position.

Sorry to hear it, reener.  You'd be absolutely justified in a Mad Men marathon if that's what you want.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #785 on: February 03, 2012, 3:01:35 PM »

Thanks anisogamy. I did write a wee bit, and then did my marathon with some wine later. Today is slightly better, except I realized I missed a small fellowship deadline. I thought it was March 15, not Feb. 1. It's a side project, so not majorly important, but I thought it would boost my CV if I got it. Having a 3 month old means things slip by, or have slipped by, in the last, oh, say 3 months. I can apply next year. I'll probably be in a better place next year in terms of figuring out childcare if I get this 3-week grant. Trying not to beat myself up about it.

And Corny, congrats on the article acceptance. Send the revised CV. You look good!
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #786 on: February 03, 2012, 3:15:27 PM »

Thanks anisogamy. I did write a wee bit, and then did my marathon with some wine later. Today is slightly better, except I realized I missed a small fellowship deadline. I thought it was March 15, not Feb. 1. It's a side project, so not majorly important, but I thought it would boost my CV if I got it. Having a 3 month old means things slip by, or have slipped by, in the last, oh, say 3 months. I can apply next year. I'll probably be in a better place next year in terms of figuring out childcare if I get this 3-week grant. Trying not to beat myself up about it.

I have totally been there with missing deadlines with a 3 month old.  It's a difficult, sleep-deprived, exhausting age.  Kudos to you for managing what you can now, and I certainly hope that you don't beat yourself up about it too much.  I hope the wine was calming.

I'm now having a rare spot of optimism in my job search, right as anispouse lost his cousin yesterday morning. He isn't able to go to the wake and funeral due to childcare issues, as they overlap my obligations to teach my class and leave for my campus visit next week.  I feel awful about not being able to come up with a solution for him, but there's really no one here with whom we would feel comfortable leaving anitoddler for 12+ hours with one of us catching a flight to another part of the country and another one of us several states away by car.  I feel really guilty about what my jobsearch is doing to my work/life balance right now.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #787 on: February 03, 2012, 3:41:26 PM »

I have totally been there with missing deadlines with a 3 month old.  It's a difficult, sleep-deprived, exhausting age.  Kudos to you for managing what you can now, and I certainly hope that you don't beat yourself up about it too much.  I hope the wine was calming.

I'm now having a rare spot of optimism in my job search, right as anispouse lost his cousin yesterday morning. He isn't able to go to the wake and funeral due to childcare issues, as they overlap my obligations to teach my class and leave for my campus visit next week.  I feel awful about not being able to come up with a solution for him, but there's really no one here with whom we would feel comfortable leaving anitoddler for 12+ hours with one of us catching a flight to another part of the country and another one of us several states away by car.  I feel really guilty about what my jobsearch is doing to my work/life balance right now.

Wow. I would feel guilty too, but it is what it is. I may be reading between the lines, but it sounds like spouse is supportive of your decision, so go with that. I felt guilt and more leaving the 5-week old baby behind for a job interview that I didn't get. But spouse gave me great support to go, which helped.

And thanks for the support about not beating myself up.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #788 on: February 04, 2012, 2:12:01 PM »

Yes!  I posted this on the first reasonably-appropriate thread I could find.

Rejection Rejection.

One of the funniest things I've seen in quite a while.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #789 on: February 04, 2012, 3:53:22 PM »

Yes!  I posted this on the first reasonably-appropriate thread I could find.

Rejection Rejection.

One of the funniest things I've seen in quite a while.

One of my job-searching friends posted this on facebook (but from another website) just a few days ago. It is, indeed, awesome. Why didn't we think of this approach earlier?

A belated thanks to anisogamy and reener06 - I did indeed send my updated CV to the chair of that search, and a couple of others that I'm still in the running for. I feel very on top of things.

And anisogamy, that's a difficult situation - but it seems like you did what you had to do. Don't be too hard on yourself.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
pruebas5810

« Reply #790 on: March 23, 2012, 1:19:32 PM »

I think that sometimes more is less. I agree when people say that you should know as much as possible about a job and the process to find it, but some seekers just go too far. In any case, I think this is quite a great list because sometimes we just lose our minds when we should try to stay cool. I also agree with someone who said something about not to get hopes up about any particular job. Thats a good idea.
nottooinlovewacademe
Full Professor

Full Professor

« Reply #791 on: April 11, 2012, 9:23:05 AM »

Ok, went twice for campus interview to the same place, one of two finalists, did very well (I know when I don't ...), I think the search committee may have recommended me for a hire. Then somehow the search was cancelled, no hire. What a bummer! Wasted a lot of time in it, asked people for letters, etc., etc. this was a senior faculty position. Probably, the closing of the search with no hire was a way of telling the department that they are being downsided. There is much more and I am just ranting ...
data5112

« Reply #792 on: April 12, 2012, 5:42:18 PM »

Ok, went twice for campus interview to the same place, one of two finalists, did very well (I know when I don't ...), I think the search committee may have recommended me for a hire. Then somehow the search was cancelled, no hire. What a bummer! Wasted a lot of time in it, asked people for letters, etc., etc. this was a senior faculty position. Probably, the closing of the search with no hire was a way of telling the department that they are being downsided. There is much more and I am just ranting ...

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. What a waste of time for so many!

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
alwayspurple

« Reply #793 on: June 29, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »

How do you guys survive this anticipation?  I just found out that a decision is imminent for a job I'm really interested in.  I can't imagine the stress level of doing this year after year.
watermarkup

« Reply #794 on: June 29, 2012, 9:48:57 PM »

Anticipation is the fun part. What starts to wear on you are the feelings of inadequacy, powerlessness, self-doubt, and failure, mixed with various quantities of envy and schadenfreude.

The way I've found to survive the job market's particular mix of toxic emotions is to recognize that there's an annual emotional cycle: Hope and anticipation in the fall (in my field), followed by some moments of intense stress in January and February, with most of the doubt/disappointment/failure hitting in March. Despair can set in for a while until you find some position or another, and then acceptance sets in until the cycle repeats itself (unless you find a job that you're happy with). I tell myself that I simply cannot handle going on the market ever again at least once a year.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: