Is this a flipped class?

<< < (17/17)

Quote from: cc_alan on February 01, 2013,  1:14:05 pm

Quote from: frogfactory on February 01, 2013, 12:50:00 pm

And really? You have unprepared students? Don't admit them.  Or, if you can't do that, roll your eyes and flip your classroom.

You do realize that some of us don't get this choice? Open enrollment means "don't admit them" is impossible.

And sorry you hated GW. The program I was in (different, it sounds, in a thousand ways from your program) was challenging and great fun... and is respected in my professional community. Top 10? No, probably not close. But respected.

My, admittedly poorly prepared and terrified to be in the classroom, students love having a flipped class. They can practice, build confidence, and learn how to be students all while having a supportive environment to thrive. When we kick them out of the nest, they are ready to consider university.  There are no papers or evidence or whatever else you want on my students. Sorry. But we teach who we have. If I wanted your students, I would have applied to teach at your university.

Since Frogfactory didn't answer my last question, let's go back to this
Quote from: jaunty on February 01, 2013,  7:01:04 am

Many institutions such as Harvard, MIT, McGill, Carleton, Berkeley, Cornell, UVA, Colorado, etc. have adopted SCALE-UP or similar methods in their intro physics classes.

and apply some logic.  MIT and McGill (a non-US institution for those who don't know) are top engineering institutions.  If, for some reason, these methods in intro physics only worked in those classes and did not provide a solid background for later classes, then something bad should have happened after these methods were adopted.  Upon that something bad happening, the institutions would have either changed back or we'd be inundated by news stories about the decline in quality of graduates from those institutions.  Neither of those things happened.

I continue to laugh about how wrong the assumptions are in Frogfactory's posts because the usual way this conversation goes is trying to convince people at open-enrollment and similar schools that their students can indeed do all this "hard" stuff without being spoonfed facts to memorize, not convincing people that methods that work at Harvard, MIT, and Berkeley are rigorous enough to not damage the profession if widely implemented.

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page