• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:40:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Scholars Support Thread  (Read 198844 times)
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2012, 8:45:01 AM »

cs__dude,
Did you ever receive a response to your query?

Wait, his query on this thread?

I'm gonna say no.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
cs_dude

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2012, 9:12:16 AM »

cs__dude,
Did you ever receive a response to your query?

No, I didn't .. at this point I'm doing my research and anything I have ready will be submitted/go out in the fall when I'm at my new uni.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 9:12:53 AM by cs_dude » Logged
pkirpalani

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2012, 9:28:25 AM »

My view would be to become interested in several areas. That way you can teach in several areas as an adjunct and conduct research as well. In this economy specializing unfortunately does not go a long way.

As a scientist besides teaching there are other areas that are open as well, working for the FDA or CDC is not a bad idea.

anne_arbor

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »

I'm posting mostly as a means of subscribing to the thread. 

However, if anyone does have a suggestion as to how to obtain affordable access to JSTOR, I sure would be interested.   (It's not an option through my local library nor through the library at the college in the NY town where I live.)
anne_arbor

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »

Whoa - just saw the new thread on JSTOR access.  Looks (somewhat) promising.   (at http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,86881.0.html)
maepstein

« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to find out which IRBs (or other entities) independent scholars have approached for their IRB (human subjects) review.

This is the background to this question: I am an IRB administrator (and also a post-academic PhD) and I am working with my professional society (Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R)) to prepare a white paper to address the question of what independent scholars should do regarding IRB review.  For those of you who have tried to interpret the federal regulations on this topic, you may have realized that the question is not dealt with directly.

Anyway, PRIM&R and I are hoping to put together a working group at our December conference to address this issue. Have any of you successfully worked with an IRB as an independent scholar? If so, would you let me know which IRB or what type of institution you have worked with?

Thank you!

Melissa

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to find out which IRBs (or other entities) independent scholars have approached for their IRB (human subjects) review.

This is the background to this question: I am an IRB administrator (and also a post-academic PhD) and I am working with my professional society (Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R)) to prepare a white paper to address the question of what independent scholars should do regarding IRB review.  For those of you who have tried to interpret the federal regulations on this topic, you may have realized that the question is not dealt with directly.

Anyway, PRIM&R and I are hoping to put together a working group at our December conference to address this issue. Have any of you successfully worked with an IRB as an independent scholar? If so, would you let me know which IRB or what type of institution you have worked with?

Thank you!

Melissa

Delurking to point out that maepstein has a thread on this.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
starrykitten

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2012, 1:52:51 AM »

Are there any other independent scholars working on academic manuscripts? Very curious.  I posted a thread seeking a "buddy" for being an independent scholar working on one, but I might have better luck in this thread.
visionscientist

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2012, 4:40:52 PM »

Hello everyone,

This is my first CHE forum post.  I recently finished an odd, 18-month visiting position that started in the middle of an academic year.  I advised 30 undergraduate research projects but between that and always teaching an overload with new preps I didn't have much time for my own work.  So, long story short, I have many solid ideas for further projects, but now I have no job.

I'm wondering if anyone here has managed to do research in the social/behavioral sciences without an institutional affiliation.  I think I can possibly get library access either through the local R1 or my PhD alma mater, but I'm not sure how to address the IRB aspect.  I'm willing to use a portion of my unemployment benefits to pay participants and my partner has consented to me setting up a little laboratory in our apartment.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
tardigrade

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2012, 7:18:00 AM »

but I'm not sure how to address the IRB aspect.

You might try contacting HHS (or the appropriate agency) to see if your particular independent research is even regulated by 45 CFR 46, or applicable statute.  If it is, they could probably point you to an IRB which would review your research.

http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/
http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/commonrule/index.html
rhansen309

« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2012, 4:00:32 PM »

Hi all,
Just joined today and already have found some useful information. For one thing I found out that I an independent scholar. I have my PhD but never did any research after my dissertation. As I started reading this thread it became apparent that I would still need to use an IRB for research. I am adjunct at a small 4 year college and they have an IRB. but I believe it to only be for bachelor degrees. I am not tied to any other school or organization. So what IRB do I use??
As a side note; has anyone thought about creating an IRB for independent scholars? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.
barrie_ritter

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2013, 4:53:48 PM »

>>
. . .
I'm wondering if anyone here has managed to do research in the social/behavioral sciences without an institutional affiliation.  I think I can possibly get library access either through the local R1 or my PhD alma mater, but I'm not sure how to address the IRB aspect.  I'm willing to use a portion of my unemployment benefits to pay participants and my partner has consented to me setting up a little laboratory in our apartment.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

=topic=56873.msg2264551#msg2264551 date=1344318771]  Posted by: starrykitten
Are there any other independent scholars working on academic manuscripts? Very curious.  I posted a thread seeking a "buddy" for being an independent scholar working on one, but I might have better luck in this thread.

I think I saw this thread when it first started. I'm so glad to see that it continued and is active!

To visionscientist: It is very difficult to continue research without an institutional affiliation, although it can be done. One of the easiest ways is to join a professional/academic group involved in research on your topic. For $40 I became a member of a highly respected group of academic and government researchers who have annual meetings, with an opportunity for presentations (posters with 3-page papers or 25-page papers) which are published in both paper and online proceedings. They also have a peer-reviewed journal which accepts proceedings papers but not mine. If you're outside the narrow confines of an ideological field, like mine, you are likely to have better luck with the proceedings than with peer reviewers (for a grant or a journal).

To starrykitten: Have you found your "buddy?" I'd like to know more about what you're doing and looking for.

QUESTION 1: Has anyone had trouble with UMI/ProQuest or your university taking your dissertation and putting it online? I wrote the first published dissertation of multiple (serial) murderers in 1988, before the internet. I signed a standard contract, allowing only Braille, in which they were to keep my work available to all and give me a tiny royalty for every sale. The first year, I sold quite a few. Then they never contacted me again. I found out in 2000 that my dissertation had been posted in multiple online databases available to universities (for free download) and in Contentville (started by Steven Brill of Court TV) which could be found by anyone. I told my university about this and, without my permission, they contacted UMI. The next morning Contentville ceased operations. I'm sure this was just a coincidence. Recently, I saw a notice from my university with a list of dissertations, mine first, which they said were "Open Source." They also stated that I had given my permission. They hadn't even asked me! In 2000, I went to a conference in which a girl from my university was giving a presentation on something that sounded like my research. She claimed to be doing the first research on an old theory, but when asked, couldn't or wouldn't name the author of the original theory. She was then ignored and one of the professors present asked if anyone had been doing research before 1983. I raised my hand - no one else did - and explained my work on that topic. I was rushed by students from all over the country telling me they all used my work, yet none of them cite me. Another student from my university said that everyone there had my dissertation, or parts or it, and everyone used it. I have downloaded it myself when I am at the university, at a computer reserved for students. When I asked the librarian about this recently, she denied this, saying my work was published too early to have been digitized. Yet on the page that lists me, it says "AVAILABLE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD." The library has no warnings about copyright. It gives out flyers explaining how to download dissertations and print them, store them on a memory chip, or email them. I'm thinking about taking it away from UMI and the university, since there is no way anyone can obtain copies (outside of university students), and offering for a small fee on my own website. Any suggestions or advise?

QUESTION 2: Has anyone else been given the wrong fields for their degree? I was supposed to have Psychology and Sociology, but was given Soc and Anthropology, which was not even offered. They also changed my entire record to eliminate my classes in Psychology. I fought with them - showing the original record, that I was made a member of the APAs Psi Chi Honor Society for graduate students (which they did not tell me until AFTER I graduated), permission to take my Comprehensive Examinations in Psychology (and in Sociology, Criminology and Research Methods), and every semester's records which showed my field as Psychology. The only field they offer now is Psychology - how could I get a degree that did not include that field? It kept me from feeling I could teach, at least until I published, which I learned I could not do because I do not teach! It was a decent school when it was United States International University (USIU), but it is horrible as Alliant and worse still as CA School of Professional Psychology. Anyone else have this experience with their degrees, or go to Alliant; if so, my sympathy.

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2013, 5:03:59 PM »

Barrie_Ritter, you've mangled the quote function so that we can't tell what you're asking.  Try again?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
dept_geek
SPAF by decree, documentor of local meetups, and

through a glass darkly....

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »

<nudges thread awake again>

This may be an odd question... (ok. probably *is* an odd question) Has anyone left off their affiliation on a manuscript? mySchool has actively put the kibosh on doing research (our triad is teaching service teaching) and there are some things I would like to do on my own (thus being unhomed - no support not even time). I feel no obligation to put my school's name anywhere, but didn't want to break any unwritten rules or taboos. 

Thoughts? 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Quote from: testingthewaters
When in doubt, add chocolate.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »

Even if they've done bugger all <job in Newcastle, I'm looking at you>, you should still leave them on there.

The acknowledgements will make it plain that you've received zero institutional support ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: